2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

4 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

So, the new CBA kind of saves Nashville's ass regarding Weber potential early retirement, doesn't it ?

Kind of. They will not get hit with a $24M single-year penalty, but they can still get a $6M penalty for each of four years ($24M spread out over that time), which would still hurt a lot, especially with a flat cap.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Kind of. They will not get hit with a $24M single-year penalty, but they can still get a $6M penalty for each of four years ($24M spread out over that time), which would still hurt a lot, especially with a flat cap.

The $6 million for four seasons is a badly broken leg ... $24 million is an amputation

They don't talk about hockey that much down here, so I've heard or seen details regarding the rules for this playoff. I know the gist of the 24-team format, but are they sticking with the traditional playoff OT rules? The NWSL started the playoff phase of their tournament and with all the games in a single location back-to-back-to-back-to-back schedule, they ditched extra time and went straight to a PK shootout. With the NHL having up to three games a day in each location, long overtime games could cause massive backups. That's not to say I want them to change anything, it's just something I hadn't thought about. Do Toronto and Edmonton have practice rinks on-site where games could start on time and still be televised?

11 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

They don't talk about hockey that much down here, so I've heard or seen details regarding the rules for this playoff. I know the gist of the 24-team format, but are they sticking with the traditional playoff OT rules? The NWSL started the playoff phase of their tournament and with all the games in a single location back-to-back-to-back-to-back schedule, they ditched extra time and went straight to a PK shootout. With the NHL having up to three games a day in each location, long overtime games could cause massive backups. That's not to say I want them to change anything, it's just something I hadn't thought about. Do Toronto and Edmonton have practice rinks on-site where games could start on time and still be televised?

Play-in round games will be played with playoff OT.  Round-robin seeding games for the top-four teams in each conference will be played with regular season OT/shootout rules.  While there are rinks nearby, they're not set up for TV broadcasts so if there's a delay, there's a delay.  There will probably be some along the way through the play-in round but once it gets to 16, it should be two games per day where they can hopefully stagger it out a bit more.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Play-in round games will be played with playoff OT.  Round-robin seeding games for the top-four teams in each conference will be played with regular season OT/shootout rules.  While there are rinks nearby, they're not set up for TV broadcasts so if there's a delay, there's a delay.  There will probably be some along the way through the play-in round but once it gets to 16, it should be two games per day where they can hopefully stagger it out a bit more.

Thanks for the info! Nowhere I looked seemed to have specifics. At first I was exited that Montreal and Columbus were both in the prime-time slot, but now I'm wishing they were in the late afternoon slot, so there'd be less chance of super late games! 

20 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Thanks for the info! Nowhere I looked seemed to have specifics. At first I was exited that Montreal and Columbus were both in the prime-time slot, but now I'm wishing they were in the late afternoon slot, so there'd be less chance of super late games! 

You'll get one afternoon game in the CBJ-TOR series - Game 2.

5 hours ago, Fanpuck33 said:

The late afternoon slot is usually round robin games for seeding as they have regular season OT/SO rules (as brian said) and thus are less likely to interfere with the start time of a prime time game.

In the NHL, over 800 players were tested multiple times.. 2600 tests last week... there were 2 positives.

The NBA and MLS bubbles have 0 positives in their latest rounds (in florida).

If they take the steps needed and players stay in the bubble.. they will be fine.

If players violate the rules... they are screwed.

• Like 1

Seattle expected to announce their name, logo and colours tomorrow. 

Some rumours out there expecting it to be the Seattle Sockeyes. I think we can also guess that green will be an element of the logo. I would love to see some yellow as well to keep with the old Supersonics theme. Always found the Golden Seals jerseys to be interesting. 

Seahawks-Mariners-Supersonics,-Golden Seals

Samsquatches i think is out of running...steal Hartfords nickname maybe. But likley will be Kracken or some marine critter.

I preferred "Sockeye" because of the pun with getting punched in the face, but prevailing opinion in Vancouver is that it will be the Kraken. Commentators are abuzz at the idea of the team coming onto the ice with the announcer blaring 'RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!"

It does seem like a winner, especially for an expansion franchise in a fairly competitive sports market.

39 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Great logo design, great sweater colours ... their "merch" will sell, sell, sell

Love the name! I'd completely forgotten about that possibility and had gotten behind the Sockeye while talking about it last night with some friends. It just seemed to fit well with the SuperSonics and Seahawks.  

Not crazy about the logo, though. It's a bit of a nice nod to the generic "S" logo of the Metropolitans, but there's not enough Kraken in it for me. Needs more tentacle.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Love the name! I'd completely forgotten about that possibility and had gotten behind the Sockeye while talking about it last night with some friends. It just seemed to fit well with the SuperSonics and Seahawks.  

Not crazy about the logo, though. It's a bit of a nice nod to the generic "S" logo of the Metropolitans, but there's not enough Kraken in it for me. Needs more tentacle.

Both the Eye of the Kraken and The Tentacle are too subtle on the logo. Agreed. A bit more graphic "oomph" on these elements would really bring it home.

Still the best trifecta of name/logo/jersey on a new expansion team in some time. You probably have to go back to the Whalers to top it.

Sorokin and Romanov are in the same situation so Romanov shouldn't count against Montreal's player limit.  If that's the case, they only had one cut to make by yesterday's roster deadline.

41 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Sorokin and Romanov are in the same situation so Romanov shouldn't count against Montreal's player limit.  If that's the case, they only had one cut to make by yesterday's roster deadline.

As the 30th player has almost no chance to play it might as well be Romanov  ... unless they are making room for Molson or some other twit that onlt wants to be there, not do anything useful.

19 hours ago, tomh009 said:

According to The Athletic, Molson was very unlikely to be on the list, as was Mellanby. No room for people who don't need to be there.

wasn't mellanby with carolina?

• dlbalr unpinned this topic