2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Desjardin and Leclair

i agree, although we are missing production from the bottom line unless Domi stops pouting 

I don't see Domi pouting at all.  I see him making plays and his linemates just not being good enough to convert.

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't see Domi pouting at all.  I see him making plays and his linemates just not being good enough to convert.

He did seem to have issues when moved to the wing earlier in the season but didn't see anything but 100% effort against Pens ... but hard to move him up at the moment ... would be ideal if Hudon hadn't seemed to wear out his welcome as he has better scoring skills than the alternatives ... but haven't read/heard that he is making it hard for the habs to not dress him by his play in TC/practice ... in slightly fewer games Belzile had twice the production Weise had in Laval this season, so I see him as a slightly better option ... Weal and Poehling a bit of a toss-up IMO ... the former is more experienced and the latter bigger and stronger (with perhaps more scoring potential) ... Weal hasn't produced with Domi so might be worth giving Ryan a shot ... as long as he hasn't just lolly-gagged his way through TC and practice

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He is not driving the play, and unlike last year he is not making it hard to play against him.

It is like he does just enough but does not elevate his game.

30 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He is not driving the play, and unlike last year he is not making it hard to play against him.

It is like he does just enough but does not elevate his game.

Hard to play against?  We must not have watched the same games as i saw him multiple times being physical, getting in crosby ans malkins faces, giving little jabs, battling. 

Driving the play is tough when no one can play off you.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hard to play against?  We must not have watched the same games as i saw him multiple times being physical, getting in crosby ans malkins faces, giving little jabs, battling. 

Driving the play is tough when no one can play off you.

I am sour on Domi, I'll pay more attention next game. It is hard for me to enjoy him poke checking and skating in circles without driving to the net with the puck. Seems to me the puck dies on his stick

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am sour on Domi, I'll pay more attention next game. It is hard for me to enjoy him poke checking and skating in circles without driving to the net with the puck. Seems to me the puck dies on his stick

You can’t judge Domi until he has legitimate players with skill to play with.  Right now he has a couple of Grunt AHL players.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can’t judge Domi until he has legitimate players with skill to play with.  Right now he has a couple of Grunt AHL players.

This forum was less patient with Pacioretty.

If Domi wants to play center in the top 2 lines he has to show he can carry his line on his back? Dosen't he? Show he can outplay the other team's 4th line

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Domi wants to play center in the top 2 lines he has to show he can carry his line on his back? Dosen't he? Show he can outplay the other team's 4th line

Hed be playing LW with Suzuki instead of Drouin.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Pactioretty was playing with top players.  Not the same thing at all.

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You can't judge Domi when he's playing with unskilled linemates. He's a good player, but he's not an All-Star that can do it all himself. It's the same reason we've struggled so much developing talent at the NHL level, because we've had coaches intent on making guys prove themselves on the 4th line, instead of playing in roles designed to help them succeed.

And all that being said, he has not been playing poorly. He had a very good game 4 and was noticeable when he was on the ice. He needs more ice time. 

30 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

You can't judge Domi when he's playing with unskilled linemates. He's a good player, but he's not an All-Star that can do it all himself. It's the same reason we've struggled so much developing talent at the NHL level, because we've had coaches intent on making guys prove themselves on the 4th line, instead of playing in roles designed to help them succeed.

And all that being said, he has not been playing poorly. He had a very good game 4 and was noticeable when he was on the ice. He needs more ice time. 

He doesn’t just need ice time, he needs players who actually have some skill. That’s not going to happen until they take Weise out of the lineup.

What’s so interesting is that Domi always was destined to be a transitional C - not complete enough to be a top-6 C on a team with quality centremen as options, but also not very good on the W. As long as KK and Suzuki play strong, and Danault is Danault, Domi is going to be crowded onto the 4th line. I did not expect this to happen so soon, but it’s good that it has.

That said, Weise has no business being in the lineup. Domi may be on the fast train to redundancy but there’s no cause to saddle him with unnecessarily useless linemates.

Leafs are done like burnt toast!!!  😬🤪😀

Let’s hope they don’t win the lottery!!

I wonder if Tavares will be watching the Islanders series. 🙂

• dlbalr unpinned this topic

So who are we cheering on in the lottery?

My Preference (in this order):

1) Wild

2) Jets

3) Preds

While the other 5 I do not want to see win, the big no-no's are the Pens and the Leafs. Pens because it would always be said the Habs could of had Lafreniere. Leafs should be self explanatory. 

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I have this feeling hes going to NY or FLA

I hope Lafreniere goes to Nashville. They would potentially get the top line C they desperately need, and he'd be in the West where he would do minimal damage against us.

13 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I hope Lafreniere goes to Nashville. They would potentially get the top line C they desperately need, and he'd be in the West where he would do minimal damage against us.

He’a a winger not a centre.  But I do hope they win the lottery as well. If Columbus has lost I would have rooted for them as well. Just as long as the leafs, Oilers, Florida (I hate to see incompetence rewarded with teams that had multiple high picks), or the rangers don’t Win because he lottery.

The Leafs - HAW HAW!! - are an enigma. A team with that much talent should be banging on the door, not continually losing in the first round or, in this case, missing the playoffs altogether. They flipped coaches and it didn't help.

I understand the criticisms of their cap management, but that's a different issue. The lineup they are icing out there should be able to make an impact. And year after year, it comes up short.

I wonder whether the market itself is a factor. TO turns young stars into gods well before they achieve anything; does this create an attitude of entitlement whereby they never internalize the idea that they have to earn what they get - a disastrous mindset when playoff time comes? Or, do too many guys on the club look at the media frenzy around the team and mentally check out? ("I can't wait until this Gong Show is over...") Or is it something else -? Too much soft skill, not enough blood n guts?

To the extent that the problem derives from the effects of being in that market, the same problems are apt to affect a future Habs team which might be in a similar position of having a lot of young stars and high expectations. The markets are quite similar. And come to think of it, something similar happened to the 2008 Habs. 

There may, then, be lessons for us in TO's failures, as delicious as they are.

12 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

So who are we cheering on in the lottery?

My Preference (in this order):

1) Wild

2) Jets

3) Preds

While the other 5 I do not want to see win, the big no-no's are the Pens and the Leafs. Pens because it would always be said the Habs could of had Lafreniere. Leafs should be self explanatory. 

100% agree