2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Good thing John Scott isn't the Habs GM

If Molson doesn't want a "hockey guy" between him and Bergevin on the depth chart maybe Tallon, with a prior working relationship with Marc, might be a good hire as a consultant.

3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Good thing John Scott isn't the Habs GM

Any team likely could use 2 players like Weber and Gallagher for a playoff run and Leafs maybe could do without 1 of their 3 elite forwards.

Is fantasy trade of course though and aint happening.

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Any team likely could use 2 players like Weber and Gallagher for a playoff run and Leafs maybe could do without 1 of their 3 elite forwards.

The Habs are not in a position to trade Weber (no replacement anywhere in the system) and Gallagher will be the heart of the team until the day when he suddenly isn't. I expect Gally to crater relatively young, and Weber is 35 - neither likely has too many years left at their current level, while Tavares probably has a half-decade to go as an elite producer. But the trade would immediately make the Habs worse; it would likely only start to work in our favour after 2-3 years, toward the tail end of JT's contract. No thanks.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

And not only because Bergevin unlikely to trade Price (unless Carey "demands" one ... from what we know of Carey it would be very polite and done in private) ... but Tavares has a full NMC ... if he agreed to waive it because of two disappointing seasons in TO then I wouldn't want him ... but Tavares, Suzuki and KK as a top trio of centres would be amazing (in theory).

BUT ... Tavares is the only of the Leafs "big guns" (maybe better described as reputed "big guns") with no-trade protection, let alone no movement ... so I expect Nylander and one of these three - Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanen - to be dealt to create cap space to improve their defence, not necessarily in one deal.

I could see Bergevin trying to swing a deal built around Domi and Nylander (or two of the "three") as the core pieces ... but while some combo of the "three" may be moved to create cap space I expect it would take a legit top 3 defenceman to get Nylander.

That ship has sailed... The birthday boy#14 and KK#15  are the future of this team... and that future is now. 

However, I will take Nylander for one of Juulsen or Brook and a 2nd? otherwise let the leafs and there cap nightmare of a team implode...

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And not only because Bergevin unlikely to trade Price (unless Carey "demands" one ... from what we know of Carey it would be very polite and done in private) ... but Tavares has a full NMC ... if he agreed to waive it because of two disappointing seasons in TO then I wouldn't want him ... but Tavares, Suzuki and KK as a top trio of centres would be amazing (in theory).

BUT ... Tavares is the only of the Leafs "big guns" (maybe better described as reputed "big guns") with no-trade protection, let alone no movement ... so I expect Nylander and one of these three - Kerfoot/Johnsson/Kapanen - to be dealt to create cap space to improve their defence, not necessarily in one deal.

I could see Bergevin trying to swing a deal built around Domi and Nylander (or two of the "three") as the core pieces ... but while some combo of the "three" may be moved to create cap space I expect it would take a legit top 3 defenceman to get Nylander.

why would domi and nylander make any sense at all? they need 3 defenders at the very least, 2 of which are top 4. I dont think Nylander gets you a top 3 defenceman alone. Maybe a younger soon to be top 3. Marner would though. 

Plus they cant take salary back really unless its defensive salary.

3 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

otherwise let the leafs and there cap nightmare of a team implode...

After shipping out a 2020 or 21 1st pick with Marleau also.

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Habs are not in a position to trade Weber (no replacement anywhere in the system) and Gallagher will be the heart of the team until the day when he suddenly isn't. I expect Gally to crater relatively young, and Weber is 35 - neither likely has too many years left at their current level, while Tavares probably has a half-decade to go as an elite producer. But the trade would immediately make the Habs worse; it would likely only start to work in our favour after 2-3 years, toward the tail end of JT's contract. No thanks.

Agree about the importance/value of both Weber and Gallagher ... but they are also perhaps the classic example of whether it is better to trade a player too soon rather than too late ... but Tavares wouldn't be my target ***IF*** the Habs were to trade either ... personally I wouldn't even look at the Leafs, unless the #1 overall was PART of the return ... not a fan of Nylander (talented player, but someone close to me knows this father very well and fear the son may not have fallen far from the tree), Tavares has the NMC and Matthews isn't going anywhere ... Marner would be a nice "add", but is just a tad overpaid for my taste (not certain he is a 90+ points player without Tavares, Matthews and Nylander) 

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

why would domi and nylander make any sense at all? they need 3 defenders at the very least, 2 of which are top 4. I dont think Nylander gets you a top 3 defenceman alone. Maybe a younger soon to be top 3. Marner would though. 

Plus they cant take salary back really unless its defensive salary.

Which would be why I said I don't see Nylander moving unless a defenceman is the return ... there is a difference between what I think MB might try and what I think is a reasonable/possible trade

Off the top of Mr. Potato's head:

Petry and Domi to TO for Kapanen, Kerfoot and Nylander and their 2020 1st round pick (if not Lafreniere)

or

Petry,  Domi, Habs 1st and 2x Habs 2nd to TO for Kapanen, Nylander  and their 2020 1st round pick (if Lafreniere)

Edited by alfredoh2009
switchign Mikko Lehtonen for Nylander, for cap reliefe

6 hours ago, DON said:

After shipping out a 2020 or 21 1st pick with Marleau also.

True ... I expect the Leafs will retain the 2020 pick even if they don't win the lottery as they would undoubtedly would not expect to have the chance to select in the top 16 next season

EDIT: Wasn't Laffs option ... it was 2020 protected if it was in the top 10 ... so Hurricanes get the pick ... MY BAD

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry and Domi to TO for Kapanen, Kerfoot and Mikko Lehtonen and their 2020 1st round pick (if not Lafreniere)

or

Petry,  Domi, Habs 1st and 2x Habs 2nd to TO for Kapanen, Mikko Lehtonen and their 2020 1st round pick (if Lafreniere)

Looking at the concept ... Petry has a 15 team NTC so there is no guarantee he would agree to the deal ... plus I would rather re-sign Petry ... think Jeff's nect contract will likley be reasonable (he seems to very much like Montreal) and will likely be effective for at least another 5 years ... as for the return, I don't see Lehtonen as great value ... 26 yr-old "rookie" signed for 20/21 then a UFA next summer.

29 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Petry and Domi to TO for Kapanen, Kerfoot and Nylander and their 2020 1st round pick (if not Lafreniere)

or

Petry,  Domi, Habs 1st and 2x Habs 2nd to TO for Kapanen, Nylander  and their 2020 1st round pick (if Lafreniere)

You lose the deal when you give up the best player in the deal... Petry is the best player in both those deals. On top of that we are giving up arguably our #1D

Domi might have added value to TO based on scrapiness and pedigree. I'm not saying he'd bring back anything huge, just saying that there might be some sort of mutually beneficial trade to be struck there.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Looking at the concept ... Petry has a 15 team NTC so there is no guarantee he would agree to the deal ... plus I would rather re-sign Petry ... think Jeff's nect contract will likley be reasonable (he seems to very much like Montreal) and will likely be effective for at least another 5 years ... as for the return, I don't see Lehtonen as great value ... 26 yr-old "rookie" signed for 20/21 then a UFA next summer.

A edited my proposal, switching Lehtonen for Nylander to match cap space.

Nylander is a great middle-6 winger that could play top line for the Habs and matches in value to what Petry brings. Petry makes TOR better.

Kapanen provides as a winger what we are expecting from Domi. Domi makes TOR better

Kerfoot would offset the value going to TOR and the 1st round pick provide the Habs top talent to improve its core down the road.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Domi might have added value to TO based on scrapiness and pedigree. I'm not saying he'd bring back anything huge, just saying that there might be some sort of mutually beneficial trade to be struck there.

Undoubtedly he would ... but more for the fans than the management

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

A edited my proposal, switching Lehtonen for Nylander to match cap space.

Nylander is a great middle-6 winger that could play top line for the Habs and matches in value to what Petry brings. Petry makes TOR better.

Kapanen provides as a winger what we are expecting from Domi. Domi makes TOR better

Kerfoot would offset the value going to TOR and the 1st round pick provide the Habs top talent to improve its core down the road.

After a breakout (projected 37 goals for 82 hames) I think Nylander is at least a top 6 winger, if not first line.

10 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

After a breakout (projected 37 goals for 82 hames) I think Nylander is at least a top 6 winger, if not first line.

I stand corrected, obviously I did not check his stats.

Just posting off the top of Mr. potato's head :)

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If Molson doesn't want a "hockey guy" between him and Bergevin on the depth chart maybe Tallon, with a prior working relationship with Marc, might be a good hire as a consultant.

I want nothing to do with Tallon.  He is always making incredibly stupid UFA signings.  Best move he did was drafting Barkov, but other than that he is a guy really overpays UFA’s and in trades.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Make it Mathews and Reilly and I’d been through in Drouin or Domi😀

but no, Weber and Tavares - that is a massive overpay for a centre that is past his peak.  2 years ago before the emergence of Suzuki and KK, I’d do Weber and a prospect for Tavares.  It’s funny how the isles with Lou in charge on the isle and Tavares in Toronto, the isles are better in the post season.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Agree about the importance/value of both Weber and Gallagher ... but they are also perhaps the classic example of whether it is better to trade a player too soon rather than too late ... but Tavares wouldn't be my target ***IF*** the Habs were to trade either ... personally I wouldn't even look at the Leafs, unless the #1 overall was PART of the return ... not a fan of Nylander (talented player, but someone close to me knows this father very well and fear the son may not have fallen far from the tree), Tavares has the NMC and Matthews isn't going anywhere ... Marner would be a nice "add", but is just a tad overpaid for my taste (not certain he is a 90+ points player without Tavares, Matthews and Nylander) 

Only Leaf I’d give up anything of value is Matthews. Marner makes too much money for a winger and has been to hard to negotiate with as an RFA. Imagine what it will be like when he is a UFA.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

You lose the deal when you give up the best player in the deal... Petry is the best player in both those deals. On top of that we are giving up arguably our #1D

I’d do the Lafreniere deal without hesitation.  Than you move Drouin or Nylander as a package for a stud dman.