2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The draft lottery sets the order for the first round only.  Then it's regular season/playoff results the rest of the way.  The Rangers only have the top pick in the 1st round while Detroit has the top picks from Rounds 2-7.  For Montreal, if they're eliminated in the first or second round, they'll hold the 16th pick in all 7 rounds (aside from the ones they've traded, of course).  If mock draft sites aren't reflecting that, it's laziness (or they're waiting for more teams to be set).

Thanks !

Lost first game against Phily

Picking 16 may not be that bad after all, if CHI can also get bounced this round that would give two decent picks in the second round (wrong thread)

TVA Sports speculates that free agents Taylor Hall, Mikael Granlund , Mike Hoffman, Tyler Toffoli  and Evgeny Dadonov are possible targets to boost the Habs offence.

Hall is the "big name" amongst the suggestions ... he has had one exceptional season (39a , 54a, 93pts, 76 games) but other than that season he is a 25g, 41a per 82 games player ... given that his high-end is better than all current Habs forwards he is worth a look if he is looking for a 1-2 yr-deal at his current AAV ($6M) to "wait out the flat cap

Not certain that Granlund or Toffoli are much of an upgrade ...  Dandanov has had 28, 28 and 29 (pro-rated) goals since his return, so at least consistent ... a left-hand shot RW so might be worth a look.

For pure offence Hoffman is the obvious choice ... but after what happened in Ottawa I would only want MB to be very certain that the same sort of issues didn't recur in Florida ... it may just have been a specific personality clash but the way the Sens traded him for nothing (Mikkel Boedker, Julius Bergman and a sixth-round pick) three months before they traded Karlsson (and likely knew they were going to have to do so gives me concern) ... I fear that segments of the Montreal media could well try to incite something just to sell papers or get viewers/listeners..

Hall is tempting.

Dandanov is intriguing to me, has always been one of my sleeper fantasy Picks, seems to be impactful even when not on scoresheet as well.

the rest are “meh” to me, not excited about the prospect of acquisition unless it’s under market value which isn’t happening.

not that I know anything, but the rumours are fun to speculate on.

I see Hall as being polarizing and either a fan fav or whipping boy.

Hall's numbers are a bit all over the place, aren't they? I mean, no matter what, you're getting a legit top-line player. But you're probably safer penciling him in for, say, 70 points rather than 93.

And then there's the term issue. He might produce at that level for a while, but on the back end of the deal you're gonna be eating a whole ton of salary.

Perhaps the biggest question with him is: does he want the big stage that Montreal represents? Is he one of those "star" mentality guys, or does he prefer to toil in obscurity, like Lecavalier did? And how does a 29-year-old 1st-line W on a huge ticket fit into the Habs' more general "window," assuming they have one?

Dadanov is 31...his age worries me, but it's not like I've scouted him closely. He'll want to cash in and try to get term as well. Hall seems a surer bet to make an impact over a larger number of years.

I can see Bergevin going for Toffoli. "Character," Cups, probably not a completely ridiculous ticket, etc.. He and Armia would make a tough-to-play-against double whammy down the right side behind Gallagher.

There hardly ever seem to be "no brainer" home runs in the UFA market any more.

I think Hall will get much more than $6M, even with a flat cap -- there will be less crowding at the top of the UFA market. And $8M+ for a 70-point guy seems steep. On the other hand, you probably need to be somewhere in the $5-6M range for a 50-point guy like Toffoli ($4.6M currently) or a 55-point one like Granlund ($5.7M but has fallen out of favour in Nashville). But the latter two might not require anywhere near the same length of contract as someone like Hall.

I would really hate to sign a scoring forward to beyond age 35, they generally will age much faster than defencemen -- or goalies.

I think this ought to be the year that you can really make an offer sheet work. Vince Dunn, anyone?

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

... I would really hate to sign a scoring forward to beyond age 35, they generally will age much faster than defencemen -- or goalies.

I think this ought to be the year that you can really make an offer sheet work. Vince Dunn, anyone?

Think players may have to decide between 1-2 yr deals at near-ish normal AAVs or take term for a fair bit less than what was last year their "value"

Dunn is enticing ... but with Romanov coming onboard and Kulak back to how he played in 18/19 would it be a good use of cap space?  Looking 2-3 years down the road Habs have Norlinder, Struble and Harris as LHD hopefully "graduating" to the NHL ... Dunn is 5th in TOI for Blues, albeit on a a strong defence, but he has decent PP production (regular season at least) and TOI.

There isn't many UFA's I would want this year. so as to not screw up our cap for the future. Maybe take on a huge contract for a couple seasons for a few picks/prospects. .. I mean if Marleau can get a 1st. MB has alot of pieces and cap space to stack this team for 2 seasons b4 having to spend cake on the kids.

We have I think the 2nd most picks in the draft and 6 in the first 3 rounds.

I know this isn't a great spot to move this discussion to but the rumour thread is for rumours only.  If it involves speculation, proposals, or anything like that, it does not belong in the rumour thread.  One of the things that I get contacted about the most from posters and forum lurkers is that the rumour thread has so many things in there that have nothing to do with rumours.  Let's work to do something about that and leave non-rumours out of that thread. 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We did start with a rumour (from TVA Sports), but as so often happens, we digressed from that! Sorry ... 🙁

It wasn't a rumour.  It was a list of five players that could help the Habs offensively.  That's not a rumour.  If one of those players is talking to the Habs in the offseason, that's a rumour but a list of players with decent offensive numbers on its own isn't.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It wasn't a rumour.  It was a list of five players that could help the Habs offensively.  That's not a rumour.  If one of those players is talking to the Habs in the offseason, that's a rumour but a list of players with decent offensive numbers on its own isn't.

This thread does seem the perfect spot to discuss NHL'ers slated to become UFA’s in a very general sense. As pointed out, there is no specific rumour just identified players that may or may not be a good addition to the Habs.
it sparked a discussion in the NHL discussion thread so seems to have been a winner.

Can’t believe you get complaints over the forum content on a fan site.

sorry to hear that, I appreciate having the ten minutes of pleasure reading each day, thanks for the efforts to all and Go Habs Go!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:56 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

NHL investigating ex-Panthers GM Dale Tallon for alleged racially charged comments ... no details of what was said, supposedly while the team was in the bubble ... TMZ apparently claims there were several incidences, which may explain, in part at least, why Tallon left.

Finland's going full capacity ... their COVID situation is pretty good but they are now getting about five new cases per million per day, a little over half of that of Ontario so not super low.

22 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Finland's going full capacity ... their COVID situation is pretty good but they are now getting about five new cases per million per day, a little over half of that of Ontario so not super low.

Expect the NHL will be watching attentively to see how it works.

NHL though ... with teams in places like Texas, Georgia, Missouri and Florida, they can either play without fans altogether, or else use local rules and allow (some?) fans where the situation is under control. Most of Canada might be OK, maybe also places like NJ, NYC Boston and DC.

But admittedly the likely season start is more than three months away so things could still change a lot before then. But it's hard to imaging that all NHL cities would be able to host fans.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Couldnt find thread for this tidbit, not really a rumour.

Pierre McGuire gets Arizona GM interview...wonder how that would play out if he gets job?

I don't think much of McGuire, but who knows, maybe he'll grow into the role.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Couldnt find thread for this tidbit, not really a rumour.

Pierre McGuire gets Arizona GM interview...wonder how that would play out if he gets job?

Well at least if and when MB gets fired, we shouldn’t ever have to worry about him getting a job here.  Either he screws up royally and is never considered anywhere again, or he’s still got a job and is unavailable.  Frankly my guess is the former.

2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well at least if and when MB gets fired, we shouldn’t ever have to worry about him getting a job here.  Either he screws up royally and is never considered anywhere again, or he’s still got a job and is unavailable.  Frankly my guess is the former.

It's interesting...what qualifies McGuire to be a GM? That he watches a ton of hockey and pontificates about it?

Thinking about the GM gig, one of the most important attributes isn't actually hockey knowledge but rather an ability to manage people. Consider Goat - a good hockey mind, deeply knowledgeable, but terrible at managing human beings. By contrast, guys like Serge Savard or Bob Gainey ticked both boxes. Bergevin also had a c.v. that suggested both qualities.

There isn't much in McGuire's resume that I know of which suggests that he can organize, manage, and lead a team. He was a complete disaster as a head coach and undistinguished as assistant coach. And that was only for five or six years. The rest of his experience has been hollering into a microphone.

Indeed, from what I see, McGuire has a massive ego. Add that to minimal managerial/leadership experience, and I don't see it as a formula for success.

Now, he wouldn't be the first guy to come into a gig with questionable qualifications and nevertheless do well at it. He might learn and succeed. I'm just saying that, based on his profile, I don't understand why he keeps getting cited as a GMing candidate.

21 minutes ago, DON said:

I think Molson & Serge did interview him before settling on MB didnt they?

Wonder if that was last time he had GM interview?

Well being French got him the Montreal interview.  Being " media/celebrity" type is probably important for a market like Phoenix.  Aside from that i don't get why anyone would interview him.

If I recall correctly McGuire also interviewed for at least the Minnesota and Pittsburgh (when they hired Rutherford) GM positions

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If I recall correctly McGuire also interviewed for at least the Minnesota and Pittsburgh (when they hired Rutherford) GM positions

He has an agent that keeps his name on the candidate list.

one of these days, it will stick