2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There's no recapture penalty on Staal's deal.  Those were for the long-term, back-diving contracts that are now illegal as part of the 2013 CBA.  Staal's legal contract was signed in 2015.  There are only a handful of players left in the league still subject to recapture (there were 16 but only 6 of those players are still active today).  The variance in regular buyout cost captures the benefit to the frontloading of the deal but the acquiring team assumes that in full unless there is any retention in the trade which there wasn't here.

Thanks ... the next few days will tell the buyout story ... they have (I believe) until October 8th to complete a buyout ... but why delay ... unless they think they can complete another deal ... for example, retain 50% of cap hit (less than the buyout hit for 20/21) and get another pick or asset

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Thanks ... the next few days will tell the buyout story ... they have (I believe) until October 8th to complete a buyout ... but why delay ... unless they think they can complete another deal ... for example, retain 50% of cap hit (less than the buyout hit for 20/21) and get another pick or asset

There's no real benefit to doing it now either.  Even if everyone knows a player is going to be bought out, there still is the trade with retention option. Maybe there's a swap of two buyout options where one team gets a lower cap hit on the cost but pays a bit more in salary and other team saves real money and eats a higher cap hit for their trouble.  There may be another Steve Mason deal out there for a team to try to do like the Habs did two years ago but that would be a last-ditch effort made closer to the deadline, not now. 

• 1 month later...

posting in this thread, not sure where to put this.

I want to share the updated table of showing total point for each team, one column per season. Sorted by the 10th column which has the sum of all points for the team on each row. 

Color codes show, on a per-column basis, where each team is compared to the others (mid-point=yellow is the median).

The last column shows how many times each team has participated in the playoffs during this time span (the time that MB has been GM of the Habs)

image.png

I also created another table that I think shows a bit better the strength of a team. I multiply each season's points by the win percentage in the playoffs. For example, Tampa Bay had 90 points this season and a winning percentage of 0.720 during ht eplayoffs, the multiplier is 1.72 and the value in this second table is 90x1.72=154.80.

Coloring is same as above, based on where each team is between max/median/min values.

In both cases, the Habs are definitively above average and median :)

And if the new players and young core players perform as expected... we will have a cup contending team sooner than later :gohabsgo:

image.png