Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

wasn't mellanby with carolina?

 

That was Rick Dudley.  Scott Mellanby has been with the Habs since 2012 and an assistant GM since 2014 although no one has the foggiest idea of what he actually does for this front office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks, got them confused

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, tomh009 said:

According to The Athletic, Molson was very unlikely to be on the list, as was Mellanby. No room for people who don't need to be there.

 

That would be logical and the right thing to do ... Habs don't always follow that approach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to note that the Predators 3rd pairing in the play-in round is former Habs Yannick Weber and Jared Tinordi ... both are around 11 minutes at 5-on-5 but Jared is getting 2nd PK pairing time (2:18) with Roman Josi  ... kudos to Tinodi for sticking it out for 3.5 AHL seasons post-Laval before getting called up by the Preds and carving out a role for himself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were some optimistic reports out of Minnesota about Alex Galchenyuk heading into Phase 4 TC ... but he is 8th in 5-on-5 TOI / 9th in shifts per game amongst Wild forwards ... no goals, 2 shots on goal ... he perhaps/likely had more raw talent than KK when drafted, but it never really panned out (personally, I don't count the 16 goals in the last 22 games of his 30 goal season as real success) ... his unfulfilled potential may well get him another chance in the NHL, but seems more likely he ends up in Europe/KHL ... shame 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There were some optimistic reports out of Minnesota about Alex Galchenyuk heading into Phase 4 TC ... but he is 8th in 5-on-5 TOI / 9th in shifts per game amongst Wild forwards ... no goals, 2 shots on goal ... he perhaps/likely had more raw talent than KK when drafted, but it never really panned out (personally, I don't count the 16 goals in the last 22 games of his 30 goal season as real success) ... his unfulfilled potential may well get him another chance in the NHL, but seems more likely he ends up in Europe/KHL ... shame 

 

He is another guy who had impressive hand-eye skills and shot, but whose hockey IQ was sub-zero. Always went for the individual play, no matter how low-percentage it was.

 

It is indeed a pity that our "tank job" of 2012 yielded nothing better than a marginal second-line FW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

He is another guy who had impressive hand-eye skills and shot, but whose hockey IQ was sub-zero. Always went for the individual play, no matter how low-percentage it was.

 

It is indeed a pity that our "tank job" of 2012 yielded nothing better than a marginal second-line FW.

 

Not certain he is even that good ... heading into the 2012 draft I recall discussion of whether Alex "made" junior team-mate Yakupov or vice-versa ... turns out neither was worth drafting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

Not certain he is even that good ... heading into the 2012 draft I recall discussion of whether Alex "made" junior team-mate Yakupov or vice-versa ... turns out neither was worth drafting.

 

You're right. His career arc reminds me of Andrei Kostitsyn's.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:


Leafsland in rage mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, zumpano21 said:


Leafsland in rage mode.

What scares me is if they win the lottery.  Right now the are in cap hell.  If they end up losing to the Blue Jackets.  If the win the lottery they can afford to trade Nylander, who probably has to go anyways.  I would be really pissed if the leafs or oilers got the lottery pick.

 

On the other hand I think Columbus is probably the most deserving team to win the lottery given how well they’ve played despite rolling the dice last year and losing Panarin, Duschane and Bobrovsky (which was a blessing- otherwise they would have grossly overpaid) and going through the number of injuries they did. Their GM is being rewarded by going against expectations and picking Dubois.  And man that Jones deal was a steal.  It’s too bad they are doing as well as they are, Id live for him to get fired and the habs to hire him as a MB replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

What scares me is if they win the lottery.  Right now the are in cap hell.  If they end up losing to the Blue Jackets.  If the win the lottery they can afford to trade Nylander, who probably has to go anyways.  I would be really pissed if the leafs or oilers got the lottery pick.

 

On the other hand I think Columbus is probably the most deserving team to win the lottery given how well they’ve played despite rolling the dice last year and losing Panarin, Duschane and Bobrovsky (which was a blessing- otherwise they would have grossly overpaid) and going through the number of injuries they did. Their GM is being rewarded by going against expectations and picking Dubois.  And man that Jones deal was a steal.  It’s too bad they are doing as well as they are, Id live for him to get fired and the habs to hire him as a MB replacement.

 

It does feel as though the Leafs are bound to win the lottery if they lose. Hopefully this is just my paranoia talking. But I'd prefer they lose than win, because every win brings them closer to a Cup.

 

Talking about Jarro whatsisname raises an interesting question: what if the Habs hired a European GM who could not speak French but wasn't an 'anglo?' Would the PR blowback be as severe if the new GM were (say) a Swede? 

 

On the other hand, North Americans are peculiarly parochial in their refusal to learn any other language, so perhaps a Euro wouldn't have the problem in the first place - they'd pivk up enough French to communicate half-decently and move along with their lives. North American hockey people act like taking a French class is an inconceivable gauntlet akin to public flogging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It does feel as though the Leafs are bound to win the lottery if they lose. Hopefully this is just my paranoia talking. But I'd prefer they lose than win, because every win brings them closer to a Cup.

 

Talking about Jarro whatsisname raises an interesting question: what if the Habs hired a European GM who could not speak French but wasn't an 'anglo?' Would the PR blowback be as severe if the new GM were (say) a Swede? 

 

On the other hand, North Americans are peculiarly parochial in their refusal to learn any other language, so perhaps a Euro wouldn't have the problem in the first place - they'd pivk up enough French to communicate half-decently and move along with their lives. North American hockey people act like taking a French class is an inconceivable gauntlet akin to public flogging.

Europeans are used to learning and interacting in multiple languages. 

 

I think that a handful of french media zealots would complain if they cannot get answers directly in french from a GM or coach. That is the issue, not the fans or the organization, but a handful of french media people

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The talk of Jarmo and PLD reminded me of the open of the afternoon drive time sports radio show in Columbus today (note that the song was originally done when PLD was drafted and reflected the unexpectedness of the pick):

https://post.futurimedia.com/wbns/playlist/12/listen-568.html?cb=1596833735.486227

 

On an unrelated note, the 5v12 upset is no longer just an NCAA March Madness thing, haha. Habs and Hawks both advance.

 

Edited by Fanpuck33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

On an unrelated note, the 5v12 upset is no longer just an NCAA March Madness thing, haha. Habs and Hawks both advance.

 

Prior to the CBJ-Leafs game being over, the underdogs have won three of the six qualifier series.  Deserve a chance? Maybe, maybe not. But certainly capable of playing hockey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wtf was that Columbus? Back to Korpi for OT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In limited playoff history, this is now the second time that in back-to-back games that Columbus has both blown 3 goal lead and come back from a 3 goal deficit. 

 

And Werenski did not come out for OT, which is devastating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...if TO wins, at least they're out of the Lafrenierre lottery; but I am much more worried about that impressively-talented team getting on a roll in the playoffs ('learning how to win') than I am about the abstract possibilities of a draft pick. Go Columbus!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely want Columbus to win their series but it will be tough. 
 

I am also rooting for Philly over Tampa today. I’d prefer not to face Vasilevskiy as he always seems locked in. Of course there are a number of other players on Tampa that I’d be somewhat weary to face, but I’d like goaltending to continue to be an important factor in our favour for as long as it can be during these playoffs. Elliott and Hart are fine, but they don’t inflict the same thoughts in my head as when I think about Vasilevskiy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well...if TO wins, at least they're out of the Lafrenierre lottery; but I am much more worried about that impressively-talented team getting on a roll in the playoffs ('learning how to win') than I am about the abstract possibilities of a draft pick. Go Columbus!!!

 

Much like '93 when Laffs fans shyte all over the Habs Cup because "other teams took out the real eastern contenders" and "the leafs would have beaten them if Fraser hadn't blown that call" ... this wouldn't be a REAL Stanley Cup victory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

 

Much like '93 when Laffs fans shyte all over the Habs Cup because "other teams took out the real eastern contenders" and "the leafs would have beaten them if Fraser hadn't blown that call" ... this wouldn't be a REAL Stanley Cup victory

 

Whichever team wins this season will be 100% value for it. No asterisk from me.

 

What does remind me of 1993 is the tendency among commentators to retroactively downgrade every team the Habs beat. Right now we're hearing a lot of "gee, the Pens lost to the Habs...they must not be as good as we thought," rather than "gee, the Habs beat the Pens...maybe they're stronger than we thought."

 

It was the same in 1993. Going into Round One, the experts picked the Nordiques as the overwhelming favourite. When the Habs beat them, the reaction was "gee, the Nords have issues," not "wow, the Habs look strong." Ditto Buffalo in Round Two: the supposed favourite going into the round was retroactively declared an "easy draw" for the Habs. This happened a third time with the Kings: this offensive freewheeling machine was supposed to bury us. Then we crushed them and it was like, "aw, the Habs had it easy." Analysts si mply refused to change their assumptions about the Habs in light of reprated empirical evidence. Hell, Ray Ferraro still talks about how the 93 Habs had "no business winning," even though they surgically destroyed his Islanders in the Semi-Finals.

 

I don't believe today's team has any real shot at winning, but it's like 1993 in this specific sense: we got huge contributions from two young guys that nobody gave much thought to going into the playoff. Back then it was Desharnais and Leclair. Now it's Kk and Suzuki. IF those guys keep bringing it, then today's Habs will be significantly stronger than the dominant discourse accepts. And no amount of winning will change the narrative that the Habs suck and whoever loses to them really dropped the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until the Habs opponent is decided, this seems like the most appropriate place ... 

 

Stamkos not expected to play against Flyers today ... and is an unknown quantity going forward ... he is only 5 months removed from "core muscle surgery" ... wouldn;t be shocked if he is out until 20/21 season ... big plus for Habs if Bolts get past Flyers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Whichever team wins this season will be 100% value for it. No asterisk from me.

 

What does remind me of 1993 is the tendency among commentators to retroactively downgrade every team the Habs beat. Right now we're hearing a lot of "gee, the Pens lost to the Habs...they must not be as good as we thought," rather than "gee, the Habs beat the Pens...maybe they're stronger than we thought."

 

It was the same in 1993. Going into Round One, the experts picked the Nordiques as the overwhelming favourite. When the Habs beat them, the reaction was "gee, the Nords have issues," not "wow, the Habs look strong." Ditto Buffalo in Round Two: the supposed favourite going into the round was retroactively declared an "easy draw" for the Habs. This happened a third time with the Kings: this offensive freewheeling machine was supposed to bury us. Then we crushed them and it was like, "aw, the Habs had it easy." Analysts si mply refused to change their assumptions about the Habs in light of reprated empirical evidence. Hell, Ray Ferraro still talks about how the 93 Habs had "no business winning," even though they surgically destroyed his Islanders in the Semi-Finals.

 

I don't believe today's team has any real shot at winning, but it's like 1993 in this specific sense: we got huge contributions from two young guys that nobody gave much thought to going into the playoff. Back then it was Desharnais and Leclair. Now it's Kk and Suzuki. IF those guys keep bringing it, then today's Habs will be significantly stronger than the dominant discourse accepts. And no amount of winning will change the narrative that the Habs suck and whoever loses to them really dropped the ball.

I think you’re giving too much credit to Desharnais. He was only 6 years old in the Spring of ‘93. 😁


 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(I know who you’re referring to)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Whichever team wins this season will be 100% value for it. No asterisk from me.

 

What does remind me of 1993 is the tendency among commentators to retroactively downgrade every team the Habs beat. Right now we're hearing a lot of "gee, the Pens lost to the Habs...they must not be as good as we thought," rather than "gee, the Habs beat the Pens...maybe they're stronger than we thought."

 

It was the same in 1993. Going into Round One, the experts picked the Nordiques as the overwhelming favourite. When the Habs beat them, the reaction was "gee, the Nords have issues," not "wow, the Habs look strong." Ditto Buffalo in Round Two: the supposed favourite going into the round was retroactively declared an "easy draw" for the Habs. This happened a third time with the Kings: this offensive freewheeling machine was supposed to bury us. Then we crushed them and it was like, "aw, the Habs had it easy." Analysts si mply refused to change their assumptions about the Habs in light of reprated empirical evidence. Hell, Ray Ferraro still talks about how the 93 Habs had "no business winning," even though they surgically destroyed his Islanders in the Semi-Finals.

 

I don't believe today's team has any real shot at winning, but it's like 1993 in this specific sense: we got huge contributions from two young guys that nobody gave much thought to going into the playoff. Back then it was Desharnais and Leclair. Now it's Kk and Suzuki. IF those guys keep bringing it, then today's Habs will be significantly stronger than the dominant discourse accepts. And no amount of winning will change the narrative that the Habs suck and whoever loses to them really dropped the ball.

Desjardin and Leclair

 

i agree, although we are missing production from the bottom line unless Domi stops pouting 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Desjardin and Leclair

 

i agree, although we are missing production from the bottom line unless Domi stops pouting 

I don’t think he is pouting. I think he is handcuffed with the anchor that is Weise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...