Jump to content

2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

After a breakout (projected 37 goals for 82 hames) I think Nylander is at least a top 6 winger, if not first line.

 

Unless we got him for a steal, I don't think Nylander would pass Bergevin's attitude test.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trudeau apologized, showed regret, and promised he'd learned since then and will continue to learn. His actions have backed up those words.   Cherry refused to apologize, didn't acknowledge

"I believe others can treat you improperly without any repercussions, and if you voice your displeasure you're problematic."   "I don't need to actually consider a side of the story that cha

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Sure.   No one has a right to a million-dollar salary and a privileged platform on a prestige national broadcast. With that platform comes responsibili

Posted Images

I dont think Nylander is landing a top 2 defender alone... prospect maybe but not a legit NHL top#2 

why would we want Kerfoot? We have Suzuki KK Danault Poehling Evans Domi

Kapanan? cause hes a finn? hes another overrated Leaf

 

again id take Nylander off the leafs hands but, surely they are dealing again this season from a position of weakness.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Unless we got him for a steal, I don't think Nylander would pass Bergevin's attitude test.

Don’t have to keep him. If we moved Petry or Weber we’d have to  get back a dman in return and I’d use Nylander or Drouin or even both to do that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont think Nylander is landing a top 2 defender alone... prospect maybe but not a legit NHL top#2 

why would we want Kerfoot? We have Suzuki KK Danault Poehling Evans Domi

Kapanan? cause hes a finn? hes another overrated Leaf

 

again id take Nylander off the leafs hands but, surely they are dealing again this season from a position of weakness.

 

They definitely are dealing from a position of weakness just from salary cap reasons alone.  If Dubas was smart he would have dealt Nylander and kept Kadri.  Even after the Kadri move there was a lot of rumours of a Nylander for Hamilton trade. Had they gone that route, they could have tried do package Marleau+ without giving up a first overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

So who are we cheering on in the lottery?

 

My Preference (in this order):

1) Wild

2) Jets

3) Preds

 

While the other 5 I do not want to see win, the big no-no's are the Pens and the Leafs. Pens because it would always be said the Habs could of had Lafreniere. Leafs should be self explanatory. 

I'm hoping Winnipeg wins it.  I thought I read somewhere that Winnipeg won the original lottery. It would be nice to see some good karma considering they got screwed out of it because of the play-ins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Leafs - HAW HAW!! - are an enigma. A team with that much talent should be banging on the door, not continually losing in the first round or, in this case, missing the playoffs altogether. They flipped coaches and it didn't help.

 

I understand the criticisms of their cap management, but that's a different issue. The lineup they are icing out there should be able to make an impact. And year after year, it comes up short.

 

I wonder whether the market itself is a factor. TO turns young stars into gods well before they achieve anything; does this create an attitude of entitlement whereby they never internalize the idea that they have to earn what they get - a disastrous mindset when playoff time comes? Or, do too many guys on the club look at the media frenzy around the team and mentally check out? ("I can't wait until this Gong Show is over...") Or is it something else -? Too much soft skill, not enough blood n guts?

 

To the extent that the problem derives from the effects of being in that market, the same problems are apt to affect a future Habs team which might be in a similar position of having a lot of young stars and high expectations. The markets are quite similar. And come to think of it, something similar happened to the 2008 Habs. 

 

There may, then, be lessons for us in TO's failures, as delicious as they are.

What I love is Tavares went home to win in Toronto, while his old team that was supposed to be roadkill has been doing better without him and his new team.

 

I'm glad the shanaplan included dumping Lou for Dubas!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

New York Rangers get the #1 pick.

Well - it ain’t the Maples ...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, for everyone who was cheering for habs to lose. The MTL slot would be where nashville ball was placed. ( alphabetic order ).  So there you have it.

 

Just a guess, unless the balls fell differently, all things equal, unless Nashville ball was out, MTL wouldnt have won the draft lottery.

 

A 12.5% chance or into playoffs we go. You always go for the win and keep team going.

 

 

There you have it, lets now all get behind our team! ( have a positive feeling about it..) very similar to the 1993 run in a different way!!

 

 

Let get after it!!!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So based on assumptions if the Habs would have been in the lottery the pick would of gone to Nashville. The NHL dropped the balls in alphabetical order so having Montreal in there pushes those teams behind them back a slot. The fifth dropped ball would have been Nashville instead of New York. Just another piece of mind showing the Habs would not have won it. Pittsburgh not winning also helps. 

 

Now I haven't studied how the logo size on the ball would of messed with the weight or aerodynamics. Maybe pushed some balls ahead of others. I'll leave that to someone else 😜

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HabsWEST said:

Well, for everyone who was cheering for habs to lose. The MTL slot would be where nashville ball was placed. ( alphabetic order ).  So there you have it.

 

Just a guess, unless the balls fell differently, all things equal, unless Nashville ball was out, MTL wouldnt have won the draft lottery.

 

Beat me to it! Glad to see I'm not the only one who over analyzes 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It just never feels right to lose. 
 

if it happens it happens - but I’m so glad we won the series and have more hockey to look forward to. 
 

plus - the experience gained and to be gained is so valuable!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

So based on assumptions if the Habs would have been in the lottery the pick would of gone to Nashville. The NHL dropped the balls in alphabetical order so having Montreal in there pushes those teams behind them back a slot. The fifth dropped ball would have been Nashville instead of New York. Just another piece of mind showing the Habs would not have won it. Pittsburgh not winning also helps. 

 

Now I haven't studied how the logo size on the ball would of messed with the weight or aerodynamics. Maybe pushed some balls ahead of others. I'll leave that to someone else 😜

Clearly the Rangers logo was pained with magnetic paint and the top of the tube magnetized when time came to ensure NYRs get the pick ... for YTV contract purposes
😜

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

So based on assumptions if the Habs would have been in the lottery the pick would of gone to Nashville. The NHL dropped the balls in alphabetical order so having Montreal in there pushes those teams behind them back a slot. The fifth dropped ball would have been Nashville instead of New York. Just another piece of mind showing the Habs would not have won it. Pittsburgh not winning also helps. 

 

Now I haven't studied how the logo size on the ball would of messed with the weight or aerodynamics. Maybe pushed some balls ahead of others. I'll leave that to someone else 😜

 

I really think that some of the people who "wanted" us to lose to PITT were kind of forgetting that losing amounted to only a 12.5% chance getting the #1 pick - or else they failed to realize just how bad those odds were. I mean, we had an 87.5% chance of not getting the pick if we lost. Horrible odds.

 

That said, the true Draft-itst will be consistent and maintain that they would rather have lost the play-in and drafted in the top-10, than won the series and drafted middle-of-the-pack. I don't agree, but admire that consistency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HabsWEST said:

Well, for everyone who was cheering for habs to lose. The MTL slot would be where nashville ball was placed. ( alphabetic order ).  So there you have it.

 

Just a guess, unless the balls fell differently, all things equal, unless Nashville ball was out, MTL wouldnt have won the draft lottery.

 

A 12.5% chance or into playoffs we go. You always go for the win and keep team going.

 

 

There you have it, lets now all get behind our team! ( have a positive feeling about it..) very similar to the 1993 run in a different way!!

 

 

Let get after it!!!

No i knew their was a 12.5% , thought the odds would be better for us to get that 1st overall pick with fewer teams then normal and with a top level elite prospect available. 

 

But what they didn't say and I didn't know was they where going to put the names in alphabetical. That makes the odds different, then if they just put the balls in all at once. 

 

When ever their is a draft year where theirs a clear cut elite number one prospect,  and you have a chance to get the first overall pick you should go for it and start fresh next season. 

 

But it is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

... But what they didn't say and I didn't know was they where going to put the names in alphabetical. That makes the odds different, then if they just put the balls in all at once ...

 

I was hoping for a shot at #1 too ... but hopefully you are not serious.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I really think that some of the people who "wanted" us to lose to PITT were kind of forgetting that losing amounted to only a 12.5% chance getting the #1 pick - or else they failed to realize just how bad those odds were. I mean, we had an 87.5% chance of not getting the pick if we lost. Horrible odds.

 

That said, the true Draft-itst will be consistent and maintain that they would rather have lost the play-in and drafted in the top-10, than won the series and drafted middle-of-the-pack. I don't agree, but admire that consistency.

I expected and wanted them to lose, mainly because I didn’t think there would be much of a development opportunity.  It was inconceivable to me that Julien would actually play Suzuki and KK as much as he did and even more was Suzuki knocking Daneult of the first line.  Given that the top 10 picks in this draft are all supposed to be real good, while I was hoping for the 1st pick, I would have been satisfied with the 9th.

However, given the roles that KK and Suzuki were given, I think that this will be great for their development, even though this is a short tournament, in unusual circumstances (i.e. Suzuki got a long break he needed and not only did KK get a chance to recover from his injury he had what amounted to an offseason to get bigger and stronger).  I think we need to temper some of the developmental enthusiasm, since there were really no expectations for them or the team to do well.  We’ll have to wait to see how they do in the next round and even next year now that expectations have been raised and the opponents will be more aware/ready for them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I really think that some of the people who "wanted" us to lose to PITT were kind of forgetting that losing amounted to only a 12.5% chance getting the #1 pick - or else they failed to realize just how bad those odds were. I mean, we had an 87.5% chance of not getting the pick if we lost. Horrible odds.

 

That said, the true Draft-itst will be consistent and maintain that they would rather have lost the play-in and drafted in the top-10, than won the series and drafted middle-of-the-pack. I don't agree, but admire that consistency.

Put me in that group. Losing to Pittsburgh gave the Habs 12.5% chance of #1, 87.5 of getting #9. Winning gave them 0% at #1 and #9. Those were the odds "Draft-itst" were looking at.

 

I doubt the team has the talent to go far in the playoffs, and they have a better odds at getting that talent at #1 through #9 than they do with whatever they end up with now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Put me in that group. Losing to Pittsburgh gave the Habs 12.5% chance of #1, 87.5 of getting #9. Winning gave them 0% at #1 and #9. Those were the odds "Draft-itst" were looking at.

 

I doubt the team has the talent to go far in the playoffs, and they have a better odds at getting that talent at #1 through #9 than they do with whatever they end up with now. 

I agree.  But the way I look at it now, next year we should be starting the season with Suzuki and KK as our top centres. I doubt if that would have happened if we didn’t play as well as we did.  I doubt we go any further, but I like the opportunity to see how Suzuki and KK perform when the other team is going to be more aware of them.  I just wished we’d also give Poehling a chance over Weise and also play one of the young Dmen over Ouellette.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree.  But the way I look at it now, next year we should be starting the season with Suzuki and KK as our top centres. I doubt if that would have happened if we didn’t play as well as we did.  I doubt we go any further, but I like the opportunity to see how Suzuki and KK perform when the other team is going to be more aware of them.

 

At the minimum, the youngsters will have gained eight games' worth of post-season experience -- more or less like two playoff series. That has real value.

 

And the discovery of the Lehkonen-Danault-Byron line is good, too. If they can play as well against teams not named after flightless birds, it will be a great thing, especially when combined with ascendancy of Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I agree.  But the way I look at it now, next year we should be starting the season with Suzuki and KK as our top centres. I doubt if that would have happened if we didn’t play as well as we did.  I doubt we go any further, but I like the opportunity to see how Suzuki and KK perform when the other team is going to be more aware of them.  I just wished we’d also give Poehling a chance over Weise and also play one of the young Dmen over Ouellette.

 

That is "looking forward" thinking ... give Poehling game action instead of sitting in a suite ... but Julien is using the lineup that he thinks gives the team the best chance of winning ... even if almost anyone subbing in for Weise would likely have minimal impact on the results.

 

On defence I am less convinced ... not a real fan of Ouellette but grudgingly give him credit for his play ... he leads the Habs in Hits per 60 minutes, blocks/60, is 2nd in takeaways/60 and is only slightly worse than Weber (1.73/60) and Chiarot (1.83/60) but way better than Petry (3.46/60) in giveaways (Weber and Chiarot are decent comparable stylistically in that they generally just move the puck, not carry it or do anything fancy ... unlike Petry who is naturally expected to have more giveaways because he is asked to do much more with the puck) ... the "per 60 minutes" stats can't measure the quality of opposition, game situation, etc. ... but are worth something

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Put me in that group. Losing to Pittsburgh gave the Habs 12.5% chance of #1, 87.5 of getting #9. Winning gave them 0% at #1 and #9. Those were the odds "Draft-itst" were looking at.

 

I doubt the team has the talent to go far in the playoffs, and they have a better odds at getting that talent at #1 through #9 than they do with whatever they end up with now. 

Those people would be saying the same thing if it were a 12.5% chance at 1st overall followed by an 87.5% at 15th overall rather than 22nd overall. 
 

“They would have a better shot with the 1st or 15th overall rather than the 22nd”
 

I’m not challenging anyone’s knowledge on prospects (and how the top 9 are somehow vastly superior than 10 and lower) but you’re kidding yourself if you specifically expected our 9th overall draft pick to be the reason we compete for the cup in the next few years. 8 teams will have had a better shot than us if it were that simple. 
 

The real prize was the 1st overall and the 9th overall was a consolation prize that tankists used to further their argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

PS:

 

1) Minnesota fans (who have the 9th pick) are talking about how they like a lot of players around the 15 mark (because they could get that pick from Pittsburgh)

 

2) We just drafted Cole Caufield 15th overall

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Those people would be saying the same thing if it were a 12.5% chance at 1st overall followed by an 87.5% at 15th overall rather than 22nd overall. 
 

“They would have a better shot with the 1st or 15th overall rather than the 22nd”
 

I’m not challenging anyone’s knowledge on prospects (and how the top 9 are somehow vastly superior than 10 and lower) but you’re kidding yourself if you specifically expected our 9th overall draft pick to be the reason we compete for the cup in the next few years. 8 teams will have had a better shot than us if it were that simple. 
 

The real prize was the 1st overall and the 9th overall was a consolation prize that tankists used to further their argument. 

If you can’t see the difference between a guaranteed top ten pick (with a one of the highest chances of #1 overall for a 9th place team ever), in a draft that is supposed to have a very strong top ten and the 15th to the 22nd pick we usually get, there is no further point bothering to discuss his with you.  The Rangers who were a ahead of us a in the standings and in a playoff decision decided the hamster wheel of lower picks and not enough high end talent wasn’t worth it anymore and sold off their assets to rebuild - which included a number 1 centre better than anyone we had. Why, because they had tried the overpay for old UFA strategy and being a middling team hoping to get into the playoffs and have their goaltender stand on their head wasn’t a recipe for success in a league that is getting younger.  Oh, by the way, the rangers actually had gone further and done better than us in the playoffs and beat us in the playoffs.

 

guess who also just got the 1st overall puck after picking 2nd?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...