Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If I recall correctly McGuire also interviewed for at least the Minnesota and Pittsburgh (when they hired Rutherford) GM positions

 

None of this addresses my question, though, of why he is considered so qualified.

 

I suspect the real answer is that the NHL is an old-boy network of contacts and connections. I'm sure he has a huge (virtual) Rolodex of contacts which he has diligently nurtured over the decades: calling the powers the be on their birthdays, checking in, stroking egos, remembering their kids' names, just constantly keeping himself in the loop. Add to that the facile image of himself as some know-it-all expert, and the fact that he is little more than a blowhard broadcaster by trade becomes secondary to the clowns who run NHL franchises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If I recall correctly McGuire also interviewed for at least the Minnesota and Pittsburgh (when they hired Rutherford) GM positions

Did not know that, maybe the soft spoken fella actually will get a shot at it sooner or later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr. Recchi is now working with Devils.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DON said:

Dr. Recchi is now working with Devils.

Subban is going to love that !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 3:01 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

None of this addresses my question, though, of why he is considered so qualified.

 

I suspect the real answer is that the NHL is an old-boy network of contacts and connections. I'm sure he has a huge (virtual) Rolodex of contacts which he has diligently nurtured over the decades: calling the powers the be on their birthdays, checking in, stroking egos, remembering their kids' names, just constantly keeping himself in the loop. Add to that the facile image of himself as some know-it-all expert, and the fact that he is little more than a blowhard broadcaster by trade becomes secondary to the clowns who run NHL franchises.

not to mention he flips flops on everything and is constantly blowing his own horn when he gets something right  less then 50% of the time. With that said, he does have somewhat of an eye for talent, considering hockey has been his life for years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Subban is going to love that !

Subban will be on the move from NJ within 2 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Subban will be on the move from NJ within 2 seasons.

Why? He just got there ?!

 

<sarcasm> isn’t he next in-line to be captain chirp ?<sarcasm> 

🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Subban will be on the move from NJ    within    2 seasons.

 

So no later than a deadline deal before the summer he becomes a 33 yr-old UFA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Subban is going to love that !

He is still playing in the NHL? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DON said:

He is still playing in the NHL? 

 

LOL ... well ... he is still on a NHL roster .................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2020 at 3:01 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

None of this addresses my question, though, of why he is considered so qualified.

 

I suspect the real answer is that the NHL is an old-boy network of contacts and connections. I'm sure he has a huge (virtual) Rolodex of contacts which he has diligently nurtured over the decades: calling the powers the be on their birthdays, checking in, stroking egos, remembering their kids' names, just constantly keeping himself in the loop. Add to that the facile image of himself as some know-it-all expert, and the fact that he is little more than a blowhard broadcaster by trade becomes secondary to the clowns who run NHL franchises.


Isn’t that the way the world works, in general? I’m no Pierre Mcguire fan but I’m not sure why anything you stated matters considering he likely won’t get the job.

 

He has been an assistant coach, head coach, assistant GM, and scout in the NHL. I do think he still has knowledge when it comes to prospects as well. He won’t get the job, but yes he has connections in the league, and has had jobs in the NHL before, albeit including a couple of very unsuccessful tenures along the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:


Isn’t that the way the world works, in general? 

 

Yes exactly, people hire based on the fit for the position needed. If there is a personal connection already established and it is positive, that candidate is already ahead of someone who may have more qualifications on paper. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

 

So no later than a deadline deal before the summer he becomes a 33 yr-old UFA

which makes this prediction all the more impressive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

Score one for meritocracy

 

Let's wait and see who they hire ... their evaluation of merit has not proven too successful in the past ... their declining Pierre may in a weird way validate his candidacy elsewhere ... sort of a corollary to:

image.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From www.danslescoulisses.com

Josi on Weber:

 

The Predators defenseman had a few words for Shea Weber after learning he was named the NHL's best defenseman in 2019-20.


"Watching Shea Weber train and play every day helps a lot for a young person's progression. In addition, I had the chance to play alongside him. I've learned a lot. He deserves so much to win a Norris Trophy. Roman Josi (reported by Jonathan Bernier of the Journal de Montréal

Josi didn't have to give free love like that to Shea Weber.

Weber left Nashville more than four years ago. He became the captain of the Canadian.

But Josi has not forgotten the five (firsts of his career) seasons he spent in the same locker room as Shea Weber... and by his side on the ice.
That's right, Shea Weber... a guy who brings a lot to games, but also to a locker room and training sessions. Roman Josi was telling us last night that without Shea Weber leading the way and accompanying him, he might never have won the Norris Trophy in 2020.

He didn't hand out a special mention to P.K. Subban, who was traded by the Predators last year, in return for not much. Sorry if that last sentence bothered you, but it's the simple truth.

It should be noted, however, that Josi had kept good words for Subban after his exchange in New Jersey.

You can be sure that in 5, 10 or 15 years, former CH players will continue to tout the impact Shea Weber will have had on their careers. Ben Chiarot, Victor Mete, Alexander Romanov... they will all have been shaped positively as a result of their experience with Shea Weber.

Now we have to do everything we can to win before Weber can't keep up and think about retiring.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DON said:

From www.danslescoulisses.com

Josi on Weber:

 

The Predators defenseman had a few words for Shea Weber after learning he was named the NHL's best defenseman in 2019-20.


"Watching Shea Weber train and play every day helps a lot for a young person's progression. In addition, I had the chance to play alongside him. I've learned a lot. He deserves so much to win a Norris Trophy. Roman Josi (reported by Jonathan Bernier of the Journal de Montréal

Josi didn't have to give free love like that to Shea Weber.

Weber left Nashville more than four years ago. He became the captain of the Canadian.

But Josi has not forgotten the five (firsts of his career) seasons he spent in the same locker room as Shea Weber... and by his side on the ice.
That's right, Shea Weber... a guy who brings a lot to games, but also to a locker room and training sessions. Roman Josi was telling us last night that without Shea Weber leading the way and accompanying him, he might never have won the Norris Trophy in 2020.

He didn't hand out a special mention to P.K. Subban, who was traded by the Predators last year, in return for not much. Sorry if that last sentence bothered you, but it's the simple truth.

It should be noted, however, that Josi had kept good words for Subban after his exchange in New Jersey.

You can be sure that in 5, 10 or 15 years, former CH players will continue to tout the impact Shea Weber will have had on their careers. Ben Chiarot, Victor Mete, Alexander Romanov... they will all have been shaped positively as a result of their experience with Shea Weber.

Now we have to do everything we can to win before Weber can't keep up and think about retiring.

 

No shout out to Subban? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DON said:

Now we have to do everything we can to win before Weber can't keep up and think about retiring.

 

And we should keep him in the organization once he does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

 

And we should keep him in the organization once he does.

Future playing-coach Weber, i like sound of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It cost the Rangers a 2nd rounder to offload the final year of Marc Staal's deal ($5.7M cap hit, $3.2M in salary remaining).  There's the early market-setter for clearing money without retention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

It cost the Rangers a 2nd rounder to offload the final year of Marc Staal's deal ($5.7M cap hit, $3.2M in salary remaining).  There's the early market-setter for clearing money without retention.

Is it possible he could be bought out? I'm not sure why he agreed to be moved to Detroit.

 

Unless his plan is to get traded at the deadline to a contender, maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Is it possible he could be bought out? I'm not sure why he agreed to be moved to Detroit.

 

Unless his plan is to get traded at the deadline to a contender, maybe?


Good point, think I read something where he commented he’d rather play where he is wanted.

 

Pretty sure he was scratched a lot last year.
the deadline trade idea makes sense though, wonder if that thought enters players minds and if so, how big a factor it is.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Is it possible he could be bought out? I'm not sure why he agreed to be moved to Detroit.

 

Unless his plan is to get traded at the deadline to a contender, maybe?

Expect the Rangers had assurances that there would not be a buyout ... Staal's contract was front-loaded so there would be a re-capture penalty that would fall back on the team that benefited (i.e., the Rangers.

 

The buyout is $3,566,667 for 20/21 and $1.066,667 for 21/22 ... the $2.5M difference is due to the cap-benefit NYRs received the first 4 years of the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Expect the Rangers had assurances that there would not be a buyout ... Staal's contract was front-loaded so there would be a re-capture penalty that would fall back on the team that benefited (i.e., the Rangers.

 

The buyout is $3,566,667 for 20/21 and $1.066,667 for 21/22 ... the $2.5M difference is due to the cap-benefit NYRs received the first 4 years of the deal.

 

There's no recapture penalty on Staal's deal.  Those were for the long-term, back-diving contracts that are now illegal as part of the 2013 CBA.  Staal's legal contract was signed in 2015.  There are only a handful of players left in the league still subject to recapture (there were 16 but only 6 of those players are still active today).  The variance in regular buyout cost captures the benefit to the frontloading of the deal but the acquiring team assumes that in full unless there is any retention in the trade which there wasn't here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...