2019-20 NHL Discussion Thread

dlbalr

9 hours ago, Chris said:

Huh,  kind of like hiring only french coaches, i believe that is the definition of being racist. 

Valid yet I'm not sure about that.

Imho:

Racism is using your power post to keep/beat down people that don't look like you in skin tone. Aliu said coach told gm to put down league a player (him) bcuz nah like his music and called him a n****r. He (coach) used his post of power to negatively impact man livelihood bcuz of race; that imho; is racism.

Habs hiring french speaking coaches is having an extra job requirement (as opposed to other teams). Now if the Habs denied jobs to people ("they" still are people) of color (as Tavern 1909 was alleged to do) then that would become racism, as the job denial would be race related and not be a matter of missing skill set, imho

(edit) racism is ugly I will agree with you on that Chris :)

Racism is, but the term is so watered own no days it has no meaning 

Canada elected a PM who dressed in blackface, thats supposedly racist, 

CJ purged all russians from the team, that would be racist if he did that with black people, 

If i owned a business, and only hired white people, i would be called racist. 

12 minutes ago, Chris said:

Racism is, but the term is so watered own no days it has no meaning 

Canada elected a PM who dressed in blackface, thats supposedly racist, 

CJ purged all russians from the team, that would be racist if he did that with black people, 

If i owned a business, and only hired white people, i would be called racist. 

Canada couldav also had a PM who wears a turban and that same man could not be a teacher or cop or even simple clerk at city hall in Qc (Qc law 21). CJ purging Russians weak AF move I give you that. Any color folk ask you for a job? no? you ain't racist in my book. Can't give what isn't yours to give :)

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I don't think Julien traded the Russians, Bergevin did.

And yet he did pick Romanov.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No it isn't. It's a policy that says the coach should be able to communicate with the community of which he is a central part. Don't confuse the issue.

Right. I don't think there would be any issue with a bilingual anglo coach or GM.

• Like 1

Bill Peters is out in Calgary.

Good news for them is :  there is one other bad human being who happens to coach hockey and being available. 
Say hello to Mike Babcock ! :D 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chris said:

The cancel / PC culture strikes again,. Fired for something he did 10 years ago? He apologized, Just the Canadian Prime Minister. 

I heard Babcock was mean, No chance he gets hired

One more time, you prove that you TOTALLY don't understand the matter at stakes.

I'm done explaining the difference between  black face  12 years ago  vs  using the N word 12 years ago.

Stay right there in your soft racist zone with your privileged entourage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

One more time, you prove that you TOTALLY don't understand the matter at stakes.

I'm done explaining the difference between  black face  12 years ago  vs  using the N word 12 years ago.

I'd also note that Trudeau's blackface was 18 years ago, not 10 years ago. This business of referencing Trudeau *every single time* someone is called out for blatant racism is pretty tiresome - especially as Trudeau has a decent track record of actively working support inclusion and equality since then, which is more than Bill frigging Peters can say.

Meanwhile, the N-word has been unacceptable since about 1960. Kudos to the Flames for doing the right thing: conducting an investigation and, on reflection, taking the right action.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

rappeers, black people and movies (Tarentino) all make money using the N word.

It's one thing to call yourself something, quite another to be called it by others.

The word has always been a way for white people to dehumanize and denigrate black people. African-Americans have appropriated the N-word for their own use, yes. It does not follow that white people - especially white authority figures - are therefore entitled to use it to attack black people. For God's sake, move into the 21st century. We don't get to sh*t on people on the basis of race. PERIOD.

• Upvote 3

Ya the PC arguement doesn't really hold up with the trudeau thing. I can't stand him. I think he is a divisive and terrible leader who has no understanding on how to run a country. But black face was not a common issue of discussion 20 years ago. I had no idea that a costume like that was offensive in 2000. It's too bad it wasn't enough to get him out though. Sheers bs social conservative values killed him. How I long for the warm loving economic embrace of king Stephen.  Now that's a prime minister to be proud of. 

Ps I hate Trudeau. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

The cancel / PC culture strikes again,. Fired for something he did 10 years ago? He apologized, Just the Canadian Prime Minister. 

Apologized?

He was sorry for getting caught.  He didnt apologize.

He apologized to the flames organization.  He didnt apologize to Aliu. In fact his apology didnt once even mention Aliu.

He didnt apologize to Jordan or anyone else on the canes who he physically assaulted.  In fact he didnt even talk about these allegations.

In the ten years he showed nothing changed.  Hes done nothing to show contrition for his actions, to support programs for inclusion and education, to acknowledge what hes done was wrong and make an attempt to change.  Nothing.

Piece of shit apology from a piece of shit human.

• Upvote 2

I think that if he had dropped an n bomb and immediately apologized 10 years ago, and that was the end of it, he may still be working. The physical abuse of another player sealed the deal. Both of these things are terrible individually but might be forgiven. The combination over a decade shows that he is willing to use his position of power to abuse subordinates.  I say good riddance. And I'm no leftist radical. More pragmatist.

Edit. Sorry commandant. I just saw your post. You said it better but that's what I was thinking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Are you wearing. White sheet as you type?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Chris said:

rappeers, black people and movies (Tarentino) all make money using the N word.

Wow, just wow....

Do you truly not understand the difference? or do you understand it, but still choose to post something that is incredibly dumb?

I'm not sure which answer would be worse. 

• Like 1

Commandant, you are an ass to anyone who disagrees with you. Get over yourself, 

People can have a difference of opinion, 

So its ok for rappers, movie directors, actors and black people to use the N word today  and never get called out, 

But know one else can. Got it 

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

So its ok for rappers, movie directors, actors and black people to use the N word today  and never get called out, 

1) Yes, I'm an ass to people who condone racism.... guilty as charged.  If you have trash opinions, i'm going to call you on it and yes, I have no problem treating you like trash while I do it.  Trash people espousing trash opinions get treated like trash.  If you want to defend racists, that's on you. 

2) There is a huge difference between a black person using the n-word in a song... and a white coach in a position of power, saying the n-word to one of his black players.  If you don't see the difference you are either... a) too dumb to understand or b) you understand the difference but refuse to acknowledge the racism.... either way, it doesn't matter to me. 

3) Its no one else... not know one. 

Have a good day. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I agree there is a huge difference between  black face and the N word if that's your point.  I think what Trudeau did was based on ignorance not any sort of racism. I am no fan of Trudeau but am willing to give him a break on that one. I am not a young man but it's only because of what came out with Trudeau that I have come to understand what black face is. I have  known for a long long time that the N word is horrible. Peters should have known better. There is no excuse for his behaviour. 

• Upvote 4

On 11/29/2019 at 1:43 PM, Chris said:

Honestly rappers get called out.

Talk to different folks bud please. Ima telling you 'nuff ppl around me call me out for making n-word common slang for my kid and he looks more like his mum then like me. So he may have the same problems as you if he starts putting it in his vernacular.

I'm just saying this not to under value the point you trying to make but more for you to look at from where your point of view is coming from.It sounds like it comes from a place of hate :(

Please Chris hear this;

It was F***n hard for me to go to sugar shack 1st Few times with folks I didn't understand but I swear by the 10th time I figured out more about the people I Never thought I could and as an added Bonus the Wonders of Real maple syrup :) 

Ima here on this site thanks to alot of ppl I have been blessed to meet thanks to my understanding of Qc culture and People :)

Blackhawks assistant Marc Crawford “placed on leave” after recent allegations about his “conduct with a previous team”, the LA Kings. 

Supposedly incidents involving Sean Avery in LA and Brent Sopel in Vancouver have been mentioned. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Blackhawks assistant Marc Crawford “placed on leave” after recent allegations about his “conduct with a previous team”, the LA Kings. 

Supposedly incidents involving Sean Avery in LA and Brent Sopel in Vancouver have been mentioned. 

Yow! I liked Crawford based on his media hits when he was out of the league, and also based on the fact that he always played an up-tempo style and seemed to have adapted to the modernization of the game upon his return in Dallas. He was my preferred choice over Therrien back in the day. I guess we dodged a bullet in not hiring him! (I'll refrain from asking who *wouldn't* want to strangle and kick Sean Avery...the point is that being someone's boss doesn't entitle you to physically abuse them).

• Upvote 1

• dlbalr unpinned this topic