2019-20 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Could also be that with 9 days off, they figure one or more of Byron/Drouin/Gallagher is back after the break.

Drouin is the only one with a clear timeline for returning, and he's not a guarantee for the first game back. 

Gallagher and Byron are both question marks.

21 hours ago, dlbalr said:

An update on the ECHL team in Trois-Rivieres bid - it looks like February 7th will be a key date: https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/actualites/colisee-un-ultimatum-au-7-fevrier-57a0b19a0340e8005ac5679daa9141f0

It sounds like the Habs have given TR some kind of assurances that they are on board with the ECHL project. But at the same time, UQTR is interested in using the project but their men's team only plays 14 home games per year. Both groups are due to present their business plans on the 7th.

Let's hope for some good results here.

‘It helped my development’: How Josh Brook’s stint as a forward brought the fun back to his game

Brook bit in Athletic, just good to see Bouchard used him on the wing for couple games and appears all are pleased with result...after being healthy scratch in couple games and was struggling on the ice and between the ears.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:20 AM, dlbalr said:

Weise was sent back to Laval after last night's game.   It'll be interesting to see if he actually winds up playing next week (they're already up against the veteran rule) or if this was just done to extend his waiver exemption a little longer.

Weise called back up. 

Hudon won the Accuracy Competition (4/5) at the AHL All-Star Game.  The highlight so far has been Martin Frk in the Hardest Shot contest as his 109.2 MPH broke the AHL record (and is higher than the NHL record as well).

On 1/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, dlbalr said:

An update on the ECHL team in Trois-Rivieres bid - it looks like February 7th will be a key date: https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/actualites/colisee-un-ultimatum-au-7-fevrier-57a0b19a0340e8005ac5679daa9141f0

The QMJHL commissioner has come out in support of the ECHL option, and also believes that ECHL and UQTR can easily share the facility:

https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/sports/gilles-courteau-suggere-la-echl-pour-le-nouveau-colisee-de-trois-rivieres-ae9f8ca4a0332aa580d5340aca992b77

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Laval gets a defensive boost (for now at least) as Cale Fleury has been sent down.  No recall to take his place was announced - that'll probably come after the game itself (and could very well be Fleury anyway).

:clap: Good move :habslogo: :clap:

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Are they starting to set the Rocket up for a playoff run?

I think this has more to do with him sitting for basically two-plus weeks now.  They play Friday-Saturday and he could easily be recalled following one of those games to go back to being the #7 d-man.  (Or they could bring one of Alzner/Folin up to be the designated scratch and keep him down there for a while - I prefer that idea myself.)

Here's why Kotkaniemi gets #45:

The last sentence is mind-boggling.  The Habs, a team believed to be worth more than a billion dollars, owns the Rocket.  How is it even remotely possible that they have a limit on available jerseys that they have to take someone that's injured and close to the same size and just switch name bars on there?  That is simply embarrassing.

On the other side of that, it's disappointing to hear Cuddemi's injury is a long-term one.  He was doing quite well before the injury.

On 1/31/2020 at 10:41 AM, dlbalr said:

Laval gets a defensive boost (for now at least) as Cale Fleury has been sent down.  No recall to take his place was announced - that'll probably come after the game itself (and could very well be Fleury anyway).

Folin recalled to the Habs. I'd much rather have Fleury -- but at this point I agree with keeping Fleury in Laval. Give him (and Kotkaniemi and Poehling) the ice time he needs to develop, and hopefully go through a playoff run with the Rocket.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Folin recalled to the Habs. I'd much rather have Fleury -- but at this point I agree with keeping Fleury in Laval. Give him (and Kotkaniemi and Poehling) the ice time he needs to develop, and hopefully go through a playoff run with the Rocket.

Maybe showcasing Folin? not sure what he would be worth in trade.

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Primeau up to Montreal on an emergency basis with Price (flu out).  McNiven has been recalled to Laval.

He was just lit up for 7 in ECHL game.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, Commandant said:

If you packaged Folin and Weise together, you could probably get David Schlemko and Byron Froese.

That's a bit of a stretch, we would likely have to throw in maybe a 7th round pick in 2024 to get that one moving. 

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 1:49 PM, Commandant said:

If you packaged Folin and Weise together, you could probably get David Schlemko and Byron Froese.

hahaha

For the last  5-6 years,  a friend of mine and myself have this running gag on Facebook for our birthdays.

We write each others on our Facebook wall and act as if we were a school director who makes a speech in front of all the students.

And we go like this :

"Hey kids, I have a very special surprise for you. Some real actual Habs players are with us today and want to give you some words.  Please give it up for _____, _____ and ______ !"
And then we just fill the blanks with the least popular/ most obscure or unfamilliar players on the team at the moment.

Long story short,  Folin, Weise, Schlemko and Froese have all been mentionned in the past years.  :D

• Like 2

On 1/21/2020 at 7:09 PM, dlbalr said:

The proposals for the use of the Colisée are due to, and UQTR and Dean McDonald are expected to submit. Both the mayor and the city councilors appear to support a shared-use arrangement between the two teams. The city staff will now study the proposals before bringing their recommendation to the council.

Highly unlikely that there would be an ECHL team in the Colisée before the 2021-2022 season, though.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

The proposals for the use of the Colisée are due to, and UQTR and Dean McDonald are expected to submit. Both the mayor and the city councilors appear to support a shared-use arrangement between the two teams. The city staff will now study the proposals before bringing their recommendation to the council.

Highly unlikely that there would be an ECHL team in the Colisée before the 2021-2022 season, though.

Thank tomh009 !

• dlbalr unpinned this topic