2019-20 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, DON said:

Poehling sent down.

Will he and KK be on same line or centre top 2 lines?

Hudon-Kotkaniemi-Poehling would be ideal, I think. I would like to see Kotkaniemi and Poehling develop some chemistry together and be able to claim a solid place in the Habs' lineup for next season.

Evans and Folin have been sent down, presumably to free up roster spots to activate Weber and Byron tomorrow.  I figured Ouellet was going to be the one going down as it makes no sense to keep him up as the #7 when he can play a big role in Laval.  They can't seriously be considering him as a top-six guy with Montreal, can they?

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Evans and Folin have been sent down, presumably to free up roster spots to activate Weber and Byron tomorrow.  I figured Ouellet was going to be the one going down as it makes no sense to keep him up as the #7 when he can play a big role in Laval.  They can't seriously be considering him as a top-six guy with Montreal, can they?

To his credit, he has learned how to play RD. Coming into camp, he wanted to do that.

I think they are evaluating him as a #7.

I would tend toward the roster not being strong. While the Habs have a great prospect pool, most of them have not yet made it to AHL (and Suzuki skipped it altogether). Who do we have in Laval that we hope will have a long-term NHL career?

• Kotkaniemi
  • Poehling
  • Primeau
  • Evans (currently with Habs)
  • Brook
  • Fleury (only eight games this year)

That's five by my (personal) count, others here may count differently. Marginal cases for Leskinen, Vejdemo, Hudon, maybe Olofsson. Juulsen and Teasdale injured so have not had any impact this season.

I don't think that's an AHL contender team, regardless of the coach.

But look at the veteran supporting cast.  Varone has been a top AHL scorer, Barber had a huge year last year.  Ouellet is a top AHL d-man.  Olofsson's not too shabby.  Alzner is a stable shutdown guy.  Peca's no slouch at this level either.  They got Folin for a bit (and he's back now).  That's one of the better veteran groups in the league but pretty much every one of them has underwhelmed this year.  That's a coaching issue.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I would tend toward the roster not being strong. While the Habs have a great prospect pool, most of them have not yet made it to AHL (and Suzuki skipped it altogether). Who do we have in Laval that we hope will have a long-term NHL career?

• Kotkaniemi
  • Poehling
  • Primeau
  • Evans (currently with Habs)
  • Brook
  • Fleury (only eight games this year)

That's five by my (personal) count, others here may count differently. Marginal cases for Leskinen, Vejdemo, Hudon, maybe Olofsson. Juulsen and Teasdale injured so have not had any impact this season.

I don't think that's an AHL contender team, regardless of the coach.

Not just about NHL potential, but AHL pedigree. 

Peca should be doing much better than he has been. Weise has been a better NHLer than AHLer. Varone and Barber are underperforming at least slightly considering their previous numbers. Olofsson is way off his AHL standard (but did miss an entire year to injury.) 

The defense as a whole should be much better with guys like Ouellet and Alzner playing at the slower AHL pace...

And while I was typing all this Brian swooped in and made all my points. 

• Upvote 1

The question is do we want the ahl coach to win games or develop prospects.  Bouchards utility to the organization is not how many wins he gets but how well kotkaniemi, fleury, brook, poehling, evans, etc... develop.

Maybe winning means varone or barber should get an extra shift in a key situation but development says poehling should be used there instead.  I want the development to be the key factor.

Is he developping them well? The jury is still out on that... but ive liked the development in fleurys game, evans game as well. Vejdemo has made big strides. Brook has made strides too but still has more to learn.  Poehling hasnt done enough imo.  Kk not been there long enough to judge.

Given the AHL roster this year, I was expecting a playoff participation.

I have liked the way players have described Bouchard’s coaching. It seems like he is doing the right things on development.

But despite being likeable and liked, the show is in the pudding and the pudding didn’t turn out right

Just now, Commandant said:

Who is healthy? Or did they acquire someone?

I haven't seen anything concrete either way on Mete or Ouellet.  (I've seen speculation Mete will be out for a bit.)  It could also just be as simple as loaning him back down to get him AHL playoff eligible and then recalling him on an emergency basis at 3:01.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic