2019-20 Laval Rocket General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Otto Leskinen has been loaned back to his old Finnish team to start next season.  He'll be recalled from that loan for training camp.

http://www.habsworld.net/2020/08/habs-loan-otto-leskinen-to-kalpa-kuopio/

Expect a few of the guys not playing to follow, and maybe even some who are ... for anyone looking to fight for a job (or to move up the lineup) it is a great way to get a jump on training camp.

Ylonen is a perfect example ... due to injuries he only 12 games last and 13 the year before ... he not only needs the icetime to get his game back but also to create a more positive impression before training camp

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Expect a few of the guys not playing to follow, and maybe even some who are ... for anyone looking to fight for a job (or to move up the lineup) it is a great way to get a jump on training camp.

Ylonen is a perfect example ... due to injuries he only 12 games last and 13 the year before ... he not only needs the icetime to get his game back but also to create a more positive impression before training camp

Ikonen?

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Ikonen?

As dblair noted above Ikonen has signed a contract in the Liiga ... he signed for two years, but it is believed it has a NHL out clause ... like Ylonen, Ikonen has had a tough two seasons, playing only 13 games in 18/19 and none last season ... he has signed with Ilves, one of the better teams 

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Let's hope that there is an actual 2020-21 AHL season!

They're shooting for December but unless they can get some fans in arenas by then, I could see them pushing it back further.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That's it. I doubt they can make the finances work without fans. Very few teams have deep-pocketed owners that are willing to fund a season without fans.

They ***MAY*** have to look at any and all means to reduce operating expenses ... for example ... reduced schedule, an even heavier "local" focus on scheduling and maybe even shuttering (for the one season) the more remote/isolated teams (i.e., Manitoba Moose, Colorado Eagles, San Antonio Rampage and Texas Stars) to reduce travel costs ... and then seek support, beyond salaries, from the NHL (i.e., the league and teams collectively) ... the NHL BoG would have to decide how important it is to have the AHL playing is for the NHL clubs.

Hockey 30 (***NOT*** the most reliable source, but this at least has logic) suggesting that Cole Caufileld is exploring the possibility of playing with Sault Ste-Marie (who hold his rights) if there are any issues with the NCAA hockey season ... the Greyhounds are in the bidding for the 2021 Memorial Cup (assuming its held) ... in this scenario he could also try to get the Soo to trade him if there was somewhere else he preferred ... 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harvey-Pinard, where will he likely fit in line up? Just as the 201st pick am pulling for long-shot to do well.

as well as Stapley (190th), Primeau (199th), Evans (207th)

(is there a specific scout who has been doing well with the 7th round picks?)

39 minutes ago, DON said:

Harvey-Pinard, where will he likely fit in line up? Just as the 201st pick am pulling for long-shot to do well.

It's too early to tell.  We need to see which veteran forwards (if any - it sounds like they're going to go really young next season) wind up there.  I'd have him no higher than the third line to start and wouldn't be shocked if he was on the fourth as his style of play still works in that type of role.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rocket now has 15 forwards, 14 if Evans is recalled, but still probably one too many. Someone to ECHL?

On defence, though, there are only five players, six if we add Ouellet. Is there one more AHL free agent signing coming up? I can't think of any more D prospects that would be expected to arrive in Laval this coming season.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

The Rocket now has 15 forwards, 14 if Evans is recalled, but still probably one too many. Someone to ECHL?

On defence, though, there are only five players, six if we add Ouellet. Is there one more AHL free agent signing coming up? I can't think of any more D prospects that would be expected to arrive in Laval this coming season.

For ECHL-bound forwards, I have Hawel, Aquin, Gates, and Verbeek.  Hillis and Pezzetta as options as well; I think they keep Harvey-Pinard up while Lynch/Vigneault/Veilleux will make the team as guys on AHL deals.  ECHL-bound defence would be Bisson and Halbert with Corey Schueneman sticking.  I think there's room for another defenceman and I think that will be what comes the other way in a Charlie Lindgren trade at the end of training camp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Two thoughts:

• Despite ALL the difficulties involved, I still have to wonder whether Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver won't find a way to have their AHL teams in Canada for this season ... otherwise they are all but cutoff from call-ups absent whatever the quarantine period is at the time of the callup.
  • What will the quality of play be in the AHL this season with the rumoured expanded NHL roster and "taxi squad"?  

Obviously, more to come

• 3 weeks later...

Yes AHL fans, there will be a hockey season in 2021

• dlbalr unpinned this topic