Habs VS Leafs

Habber31

Just now, Commandant said:

Craig simpson is worse.

His leaf love makes Hughson look tame.

I'll take almost anyone over John Garret.

Just now, Commandant said:

3 out of 4 points in those two tough road games to start the year.

Exactly what I was thinking. Lots of things to work on yet, but very happy to stash away those points.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Leafs only scored 1 PP goal and none of the habs were shorthanded. 

Nhl.com was screwy tonight with that

Ahhh, thanks. I was wondering about Gallagher playing the PK ... and I only caught the last 10 minutes of the game, plus OT/SO.

1 minute ago, sbhatt said:

It was far from a masterpiece, but 2pts is 2pts.

not really - depends if they are in a tie breaker situation at the end.  But i'll take a win over the leafs or bruins any way you can.

6 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Leafs and habs have had some great games in the last couple seasons. 

They really are.

Quite the barn burner and I loved how Carey went man mode there in OT.

He denied Tavares multiple times and it was beautiful.

Was nice to see Carey do that in front of his little friend, he looked so happy and I think his enthusiasm represented all Habs favs there at the end.

• Upvote 1

All that time spent at the bench strategizing for that 4 on 3 powerplay, and Muller might as well have written, "Weber shoots" in crayon. 3 creative playmakers out there and the best this team can come up with is a lazy pass to Weber from the same spot, to the same spot, with nobody in front of the net.

... Glad the Habs came back and got 2 points. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

All that time spent at the bench strategizing for that 4 on 3 powerplay, and Muller might as well have written, "Weber shoots" in crayon. 3 creative playmakers out there and the best this team can come up with is a lazy pass to Weber from the same spot, to the same spot, with nobody in front of the net.

The no one in front really pissed me off.

How hard is it to put Drouin at the top, Weber on one side... domi or tatar or someone on the other side... and gallagher or someone in front of the net.

Let Drouin QB and set both sides for one timers and screen the damn goalie.

21 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Ahhh, thanks. I was wondering about Gallagher playing the PK ... and I only caught the last 10 minutes of the game, plus OT/SO.

Habs should get credit for 1 PP goal too, for Petry's P.S. came with the man advantage... so thats 2 PP goals in two games... though neither is the classic PP goal. 

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Honestly, i think the only way they can improve the PP is trying a couple of games without Weber on the PP (I'm not saying its fault), because its obvious it just looks like that they are trying to get Weber the shot for the bomb - the problem is the other team and the 20,000 people in the stands know that as well.

Two things:

1) When Weber went off for a line change, the Habs were still giving the exact same feed to Petry, in the exact same spot. I think the lack of creativity was bigger than Weber. Either that, or it’s the opposite and they are so wired to feed Weber, that they don’t know what to do even when he is off the ice.

2) I am fine with Weber being fed the puck for his one timer all day long. The issue I had, as I’ve had with other defensemen in the past, was his execution. His shots were off the mark and weren’t challenging. The ideal scenario is that while disguise is nice, it won’t matter when Weber actually hits the net. That’s just my opinion; I like Weber being fed a lot. Even though people know it’s coming, he’s still one of the biggest threats in the entire league to score on the power play. Especially amongst defensemen. I think most of his career, opponents and opposing goalies have known it’s coming, but there’s simply been nothing they could do to stop it.

18 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Two things:

1) When Weber went off for a line change, the Habs were still giving the exact same feed to Petry, in the exact same spot. I think the lack of creativity was bigger than Weber. Either that, or it’s the opposite and they are so wired to feed Weber, that they don’t know what to do even when he is off the ice.

2) I am fine with Weber being fed the puck for his one timer all day long. The issue I had, as I’ve had with other defensemen in the past, was his execution. His shots were off the mark and weren’t challenging. The ideal scenario is that while disguise is nice, it won’t matter when Weber actually hits the net. That’s just my opinion; I like Weber being fed a lot. Even though people know it’s coming, he’s still one of the biggest threats in the entire league to score on the power play. Especially amongst defensemen. I think most of his career, opponents and opposing goalies have known it’s coming, but there’s simply been nothing they could do to stop it.

When its the only threat and you can cheat towards it... it becomes stoppable as seen by the Habs PP last season.  As great as his shot is... and its great... it cant be the only weapon.

A shot on the other.side of the ice, a screen, a down low.play, all these things will make weber more dangerous.

He was at his best in nashville when their pp had multiple threats. 

Over the last three years Montreals pp was best when he was hurt the second half of the 2018 season (yes the team sucked without him but the pp was good).  That was a pp with Petry shooting from the left point/circle and galchenyuk shooting one timers from the right circle.

Obviously i love the domi/chuck trade and i wouldnt take it back.  That said we need a left hand shot with a onetimer in the right circle.  Score.a few goals in that spot and pkers cant cheat.  Weber gets more room.  Shot blockers arent as close and hes got a better opportunity to put his shot on net.  Goalies cant cheat to him and more of.his shots.go in.

1 hour ago, Metallica said:

Watching habs PP the last year and now makes me appreciate Markov more and more. Man was he so underrated as a player. 

Yep, defensemen like him are hard to find and we still have a huge Markov-shaped hole in our lineup.  I still think he contributed to winning as much as Weber does, but obviously doesn't have the physicality or leadership.

I thought Carey had some huge saves but also looked shaky a few times, most notably Nylander's 5-hole goal.  Nice to see Chiarot make a few good plays and Drouin bringing the intensity.

Random observations:

-It was like the 1980s out there. Crazy entertaining, firewagon stuff.

-That might have been Weber's best game as a Hab. Dominant in all facets of the game. And Petry is that rarest of players, a guy who keeps getting better well into his 30s.

-Max Domi: also that rarest of phenomena, a high-profile trade in which the Habs are actually clear-cut winners. Notwithstanding occasional glitches in his own end, he is a pistol out there. The 72-point season is going to prove to be the norm, not a fluke.

-Price was Price: a frigging wall, stopping some of the league's deadliest players cold at multiple times. I love how he barely seemed to move during the SO. Vintage #31.

-I really like what I'm seeing from Drouin so far this season. He is showing no quit, lots of hustle. As one of the analysts noted, burying him downward in the lineup helps him in terms of matchups. Good coaching by CJ.

Indeed, CJ is a quiet star on this team. They're playing a very strong system, especially on the forecheck and on the PK.

All of that said, this was a game in which the Habs had ALL the breaks. It should have been at least 4-1 coming out of the second - the only reason it wasn't was that Matthews' stick exploded on an open net. If I'm a Leafs fan, I'm pretty peeved at the hockey gods. That said, you have to take advantage of the break you get, and the Habs did that.

Toronto...man, what a team. They've got a legit #1 D-man in Reilly and a pack of FWs so good that guys you've barely heard of, like Moore or Mikhayev, make amazing plays. Speaking of the 1980s, they remind me a little bit of the '80s Edmonton Oilers (not *that* good of course, but the same kind of team). Fabulous entertainment. And ominous for the Habs, if we ever become contenders, is that Matthews seems to have Price's number.

• Upvote 1