Habs VS Sabres October. 9

Habber31

7 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I'd have to say that was unlucky...

Another 2+1 goals against on the PP on 15 shots. We cant be so undisciplined and expect to win more then we lose. We also need to tighten up on the high danger chanced at the very minimum. 

With that said, you would have to say Hutton made just as many bigs stops as Kincaid if not more. We had tonnes of high danger chances (but the story of our lives continues to be lack of killer finish)

I thought KK awas a big bright spot and I can really see him flourishing this winter.

Suzuki struggling for a 2nd game in a row and dropped to the 4th? He looked slow tonight. Wasnt skating. Not good!

Suzuki has been asked about his intensity before, he doesnt bring it. That's something you cant teach... He's almost too nonchalant. 

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Suzuki has been asked about his intensity before, he doesnt bring it. That's something you cant teach... He's almost too nonchalant. 

I think he does but not in the same way as every other player that don't look like him but then again I never made it anywhere in hockey as a career 😕

(edit)

some say he ain't got speed, but he seems to keep up all right

some say he ain't got a shoot but he seems to rip it okay

some say he not top 6 player but (young) man was in juniors last year not AHL 😕

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, I missed the third period of this one. Suffice it to say I was surprised by how erratic Buffalo's defensive coverage is. Not that I think of Buffalo as a good team, but I was surprised to see an NHL team be that spotty in their own end.

One guy who is worrying me a bit is Tatar. He's gotten points, but he's also taken a surprising amount of dumb penalties in the early going and - to my eye, anyway - hasn't looked particularly good when he's not in the box, despite getting on the scoresheet.

It does look as though Suzuki is not ready for prime time. He needs to adjust.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Unfortunately, I missed the third period of this one. Suffice it to say I was surprised by how erratic Buffalo's defensive coverage is. Not that I think of Buffalo as a good team, but I was surprised to see an NHL team be that spotty in their own end.

One guy who is worrying me a bit is Tatar. He's gotten points, but he's also taken a surprising amount of dumb penalties in the early going and - to my eye, anyway - hasn't looked particularly good to me when he's not in the box, despite getting on the scoresheet.

It does look as though Suzuki is not ready for prime time. He needs to adjust.

Laval is the best place for Suzuki right now... IMO

2 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

Laval is the best place for Suzuki right now... IMO

3 games is pretty short sample to make any kind of pronouncement one way or other, but HabsFans are known for lack of patience.

Eyesonthe prize shows couple video clips some of the plays Suzuki has screwed up, but overall (aside from the 1 turnover for goal in 2nd game) pretty minor and all rookies make mistakes and need time to adjust and coaches to live with brain cramps or misjudgements of the kids and use as teaching examples.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/10/10/20907328/micro-analysis-nick-suzuki-learning-the-harsh-duties-of-an-nhl-winger-video-breakdown-mikey-reilly (poached from main website links)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One guy who is worrying me a bit is Tatar. He's gotten points, but he's also taken a surprising amount of dumb penalties in the early going and - to my eye, anyway - hasn't looked particularly good when he's not in the box, despite getting on the scoresheet.

Tatar averages 29 PIMs/yr, so again dont go crazy after all of 4 penalties in 3 games.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Tatar averages 29 PIMs/yr, so again dont go crazy after all of 4 penalties in 3 games.

Nah. the only reason for concern is that Tatar had that strange drop-off year where he was mediocre in Detroit and horrendous in Vegas. The question - and it's only a mild musing at this point - is whether he is vulnerable to a relapse.

19 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nah. the only reason for concern is that Tatar had that strange drop-off year where he was mediocre in Detroit and horrendous in Vegas. The question - and it's only a mild musing at this point - is whether he is vulnerable to a relapse.

He looks hungry to me. I know that's a simplified statement.  I mean he looks like he's fighting to win puck battles and have an impact. I think his production will be fine. The slash was a weak call. The slash by Moore on Suzuki which led to the kerfoot goal was probably more impactful.  And it wasn't worth discussing by anyone. For me, I dont want to see Tatar dial back his battles.  Just hope he takes a few less penalties.

3 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

He looks hungry to me. I know that's a simplified statement.  I mean he looks like he's fighting to win puck battles and have an impact. I think his production will be fine. The slash was a weak call. The slash by Moore on Suzuki which led to the kerfoot goal was probably more impactful.  And it wasn't worth discussing by anyone. For me, I dont want to see Tatar dial back his battles.  Just hope he takes a few less penalties.

I'm finding the refs are calling a lot of "borderline" stuff early in this season. Which is fine by me - provided they are consistent and stick with it. But we all know that, no matter what the standard is in the regular season, it all goes down the crapper come the playoffs, when it's lumberjack time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He still had 20g in that year, I would take that.