Can Montreal deal for the #2 overall pick?

beckham

Then try to use that to tempt the Pens to trade the #1 pick. If they refuse, Montreal drafts Jack Johnson. That is my hope. Montreal sends Perezhogin their first and second round picks to Anaheim to trade down.

[Edited on 2005-7-26 by puck7x]

[Edited on 2005/7/26 by beckham]

I find that if Montreal would do this it would not be a very smart move. First of all Johnson is a very skilled player but i dont think he will go straight to the NHL next year. "I think that with the free agent age going down Montreal will be able to get a higher class player. Im not saying that Johnson is a bad pick hes a good pick but i would not give up so much for him because no player i really a sure bet. I would love to have him but only if we can get him and the number 5 pick or if we give up less for him.

Chelios but bigger !

ummm yommi,..can now understand the interest.

Could annyone propose some NHL players equivalant for....

Ryan

Brule

Pouliot

Kopita

I heard Brule would be like a more talented Peca, I gess a Peca but with a first line center potentiel.

Maybe I'm going overboard on Johnson, but the guy set a scoring record for defensemen on the U18 team, and came close to breaking the penalty minute record for the team as well, even though he missed a third of the season. There are some pretty good defensemen who have gone through that program. Suter, Whitney, Komisarek, Hainsey, Leopold, Tanabe.

This seems consistent with your evaluation of some of the Bulldogs prospects. If memory serves me right, you prefer Plekanec to Perezhogin in terms of skill and potential.

That being the case (and this may be just redundant), who are the two or three players coming up from Hamilton, according to Gainey's comments late last week?

Originally posted by shortcat1

That being the case (and this may be just redundant), who are the two or three players coming up from Hamilton, according to Gainey's comments late last week?

I suppose Hainsey, Plekanec and Higgins from the AHL and Perzehogin will have the best chances to crack the line-up.

Just so you know how much it cost The pens to go from 3-1 and grab Fleury (virtually nothing... almost symbolic)

My take is that #1 and #2 didn't really intend to pick Fleury, but Pitts was afraid that there might be offers from other teams so they just traded for him before Florida would...

"Florida traded its first overall pick and its third-round pick (73rd overall) to Pittsburgh for the No. 3 pick and the Penguins' second-round pick (55th overall)

If Florida or Carolina had wanted Fleury, it would have cost the pens a lot more...

Like right now, Ana, Carolina and Minny surely want Johnson, so the habs are not a lone in the race... and since Ana surely wants him, it makes the price skyrocket

end of the draft this year. Although the teams don't have a lot of time to negotiate. As I see it, Anaheim needs a forward a lot more than a defenseman, and Minnesota probably needs a goaltender more than anything. They may take Johnson if they see him as the BPA, but all things being equal, they would take a player at another position. Carolina, I'm not sure of. They may trade down and take Marc Staal, even.

I've read so many different opinions on the subject. Most of them saying that Anaheim WILL go for Johnson. So, I expect that the only way that Montreal will even have a shot at him is to put an acceptable package together for Anaheim.

Is that possible... probably but at what cost? Is he really worth it? Bottom line, one doesn't know, really but, odds are that he is.

So, whether they get him or not, we'll see. If they don't, I'd be quite pleased to see them pick up Kopitar, if he's still available.

You never know. CSB had Johnson as the #4 rated N.A. prospect, and you have to think that there is a decent chance that one Euro (Kopitar?) or one goaltender (Price, Rask?) might sneak into the top 5. So it isn't out of the question that Johnson could still be on the board at #5. Neither Anaheim or Minnesota needs young defensemen, both teams have loaded up on them in recent drafts, and Carolina would be sorely tempted to take Marc Staal if they were looking for a defenseman.

For some reason, Johnson doesn't get the scouting respect that you would expect for someone with his background and record. It may be that some are worried about his penchant for penalties, which is what kept him off the US WJC team last year. It may be that he is college bound, and they are concerned that they may not see him for a couple of years. For my money he is the best defense prospect to come along since Bryan Berard, at least.

I don't like that idea and I don't expect that Gainey will either (he's my buddy).

Chipchura is a Gainey kind of player. Hard working, dedicated, leader, etc... with a reasonable offensive ability. Don't forget, last season, he was near the top of the scorers list when he got sliced. When he came back for the playoffs, he was a definite factor and was one of Prince Albert's better offensive contributors.

So, the trade bait will have to come from somewhere else.

Well, the only way Burke is going to deal is for a player HE likes. You can sit here all day and work out deals involving players you DON'T want, but it is futile. Chipchura is a good honest workmanlike player, but will never be more than that. Johnson, to quote Al Montoya, who watched him a lot in Ann Arbor, is "scary good".

Burke's smart. He knows many teams are craving for a guy like Johnson. Anaheim should get a good bunch of offers.

Can Gainey outbid other teams? Burke mentionned established players. Gainey could offer a regular, knowing there's Higgins, Perezhogin & Plekanec who could step up as replacement.

A pick this high doesnt comes cheap.

I agree with you there. Who would you feel comfortable offering? I expect that we are talking about someone of quality. Ribiero? Koivu? Markov? Zednik? Bulis + someone else? ?????