Andrei Kostitsyn

Theberge43

I am new to this site and I was wondering why some (most) of you think that Kostitsyn is a total bust already !!??

Isn't he like 19 years old or something ? Was he that bad last year in Hamilton ? I haven't followed his development closely, but he seems like a solid pick to me who could be in MTL next year and he has some star potential ...

Really eager to here your comments !

:ghg:

A lot of guys just look at the numbers he put up in the AHL last year and call him a bust.

Rarely do those same people know that Kostitsyn was playing 3rd and 4th line time working on his defensive game. Nor do they care that it was his first year in Canada, with a new style of hockey, and being required to learn English.

I'll label him a bust if he fails to put up incredible numbers with 1st line ice time, flanking other talented 1st liners, playing a style he'll be much more familiar with in his second year.

Till then, I agree with you, he's a solid pick.

Yea I noticed people calling him a bust and I was quite dumbfounded at their thoughts....Not all people jump in and play awesome and tear up the AHL. Just look at one of our better players right now Mike Ryder....In his first attempt he couldnt even stay with the farm team which was the citadelles at that point but he slowly developed into a solid player...so I say give Kostitsyn so time its way to soon to give up on him.

Guys guys guys guys guys...

"Some guys" is in fact just one guy, Beckham, spamming on the subject... I haven't seen anybody else than Beckham saying that Kost is a bust... it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to tell... Look what pitts did with Naslund...

Originally posted by alexstream

"Some guys" is in fact just one guy, Beckham, spamming on the subject... I haven't seen anybody else than Beckham saying that Kost is a bust... it's waaaaaaaaaaay too early to tell... Look what pitts did with Naslund...

I don't think I could have put it better.

Kostitsyn was playing on the 3rd/4th line most of the year, as Coach Jarvis' priority was teaching Andrei how to play defence in North American hockey. I got to see him in action (live vs. Cincinnati and on TV in the WJC) and he looked impressive both times. He has a really good shot and is a creative playmaker. He made the US look silly a number of times.

I only saw him live once when I went to a game in Hamilton last March. He looked ok. I saw some good stuff too though, in the end, I'm not the best judge of hockey talent.

Bottom line, I'll trust the Canadiens management who have high hopes on him. I also trust those who are more qualified to make judgements on a player's value.

- Hockey'sfuture.com says that he's, AT WORST, a first line (ex. Patrik Elias) player bordering on being an ELITE PLAYER (ex. Joe Sakic). They describe him as a "player with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential."

- TSN.ca says that he's potentially a first line forward because he "Has explosive scoring ability and a nose for the net. Loves to dangle and make nifty plays. Is comfortable in pressure situations, which bodes well for his future in Montreal."

Hey, I'm comfortable with that... quite comfortable with that.

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/8/7 by shortcat1]

• 4 weeks later...

Its going to be fun times in a year or two. All these young players with speed and some with size...

Kostitsyn may get a few games...not many...this year now that Jarvis is in Montreal. He'll need another year in Hamilton for sure. Maybe get a real shot when he is 20/21. Lets keep him anyway. To early to give up yet. He certainly has the dazzling moves and a nose for the net.

He's falling down our list of prospects. He has no chance of making the bleu-blanc-rouge this year but he might have a shot in a year or two. This kid shouldn't be traded though. Not yet, anyway.

How do you figure he's falling down the list of prospects? He 's played 1 season with Hamilton, and as Fanpuck33 noted, was learning a different style of game.

This "list of prospects" is a living, breathing ever-changing reality based on only two things: Who is ready (playing well) and what do we need.

I too will trust the brainpower in Habland, especially with Jarvis now being up with the big team. He will definitly know which guys from the farm can help, once we see what we actually have.

How about we give these kids a chance to grow and learn before we judge them, esp without even seeing them play (more than a few games).

I agree with Trizzak, I went to 10 Bulldog games last year, and Kostitsyn mostly played as a 3rd or 4th liner learning how to play defense. Rarely did he ever get to play with Plekanec, Higgins or Ward...who were the better offensive players on the Bulldogs squad, or even on the power play. He was playing with the likes of Jonathan Ferland, Duncan Milroy, Raitis Ivanans, Benjamin Carpentier, Gavin Morgan and Steve Ott.

Now having said that, I think Kostitsyn may struggle this year since Higgins and Plekanec will probably make the big club, so who's Kostitsyn going to play with? Corey Locke is about the most skilled player on the team.

I absolutley love Corey Locke,and if can improve his skating and add 10 to 15 lbs of extra wait, I think he can play a Martin St. Louis type game. But hes sooo small, I'm not sure he can handle the 80 game seasons. But I see a first line consisting of Locke, Kostitsyn and probably Duncan Milroy or Jonathan Ferland for a little bit of grit.

So that being said, if Kostitsyn can put up some decent numbers with nobody around him, hes going to be an excellent player, although if he doesn't, that doesn't mean he won't be a success at the NHL level, simply because he doesn't have the talent around him right now.

Does that make sense?

Yeah I realize that, but theres no guarentee they'll send anybody decent. I believe they have a deal worked out with another team as well. Forget who?

But look at last year. Miettinen, Ott & Daley from Dallas were not top notch talents Theres no guarentee that Edmonton will send there best.

To call the guy a bust allready is just crazy. I watched him play in the world juniors the last few years against his piers...and he was brilliant. I'll bet he's with the big club in 3 years or less., full time.

[Edited on 2005/8/25 by hankhab]

I think alot of Western conferance fans regard Andrei Kostitsyn as a bust because 1) hes not from canada 2) Montreal fans are down on him 3) We dont know how much playing time he got. To us he was just a mid-late 1st rounder that hasnt put everything together yet. Yet still I dont expect much from him, I see him as a rico fata who fails to get a shot on a few teams then settles down as a 20 goal guy.

I have also noticed a anti-Kotitsyn sentiment around here. I saw him play in Winnipeg last year and he was the best player on the ice. Best skater, best puck handler, etc. The problem was with the trap he had little room to display his skills to there fullest. I think he is still an excellent prospect so lets give him time to mature in Hamilton. If your new here try to ignore most of what Beckham says or at lest view it with a sense of humour :)