Oct. 15, Tampa Bay vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

13 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Vasilevsky stole this game.  Play this exact game and habs win 9 out of 10 times. 

He was great, but we weren't getting very dangerous opportunities.  

Suzuki looked pretty good on the powerplay.  I wonder why Kotka doesn't get a chance out there.

1 minute ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I found myself reminiscing about “Casperetty” this game. I know you didn’t like him, but it’s funny you bring it up because I had the same thought. 33 shots but no pure sniper with a heavy wrister. Caufield is a good call for the future. 

He probably would have been a ghost in a game like this.  He was the kind of guy who would have showed up with a pair in a ho-hum game against Minnesota on Thurs.

PP generally looks much better than last year. "Only" 20% today but still it looks more dangerous. PK was 0-for-1 (with one shot!) but I'll give that a pass.

But when the opposing goalie stops 97.1% of the shots, it makes it pretty hard to scratch out a win.

i wouldnt say giving up 3 breakaways and a 2 on 1 is a good defensive effort, but they didnt give up 40 shots. 

Pk goal against again, 

Tampa just p[layed a smart 3rd period, the game was over 5 minutes into the 2nd 

16 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

I wouldnt be against a swap with Poehling and Suzuki

I don't know that any of the forwards in Laval has shown (yet) that they should be called up. Unless it's Belzile ...

5 hours ago, KK_Niemi15 said:

That went about how I thought it would. Overall flat effort after a big home effort the game before. I think we may see this a lot in 2019-2020.

Flat?

I didnt see that at all.  They might have lost the game but i didnt think they were flat.  Vasilevskiy played really well.

I thought they were flat against Detroit.

Last night?  They just got beat by a more talented team

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KK_Niemi15 said:

That went about how I thought it would. Overall flat effort after a big home effort the game before. I think we may see this a lot in 2019-2020.

I’ll open by saying I missed the first half of the game due to work.  

That being said, the half I did watch, it was the habs game to lose.  Barring a few breakaways, we had Tampa on the ropes nearly the entire 3rd.  Had some good chances in the 3rd.  Vasilevsky stole that game.  It’s not a common occurrence to be outshot by 10 and win by 2 goals.

• Like 1

Overall, not flat for sure. And the team stayed out of the penalty box, too.

A few mistakes were quickly punished by the Lightning, and Vasilevskiy was great, Price merely mortal. That's not enough to beat TB.

3 goals in less than 3 minutes of play and Weber was on for all 3 goals.

Julien said Kotkaniemi played poorly dropped him to wing and less icetime and Drouin good, moved up and more icetime.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

3 goals in less than 3 minutes of play and Weber was on for all 3 goals.

Julien said Kotkaniemi played poorly dropped him to wing and less icetime and Drouin good, moved up and more icetime.

Weber clearly is struggling out there. His positioning seems off he bumbles the puck far more often, which has been leading to far too many breakaways.

From what I’m seeing right now is Kotkaniemi is being blamed for last nights downfall, in which he surely did not play well by any stretch but is not the sole reason and for Claude to be putting this on a 19 year old future of the team is a little concerning.

42 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Weber clearly is struggling out there. His positioning seems off he bumbles the puck far more often, which has been leading to far too many breakaways.

From what I’m seeing right now is Kotkaniemi is being blamed for last nights downfall, in which he surely did not play well by any stretch but is not the sole reason and for Claude to be putting this on a 19 year old future of the team is a little concerning.

Its not last night.  Claude started diminishing his ice time against Detroit and St. Louis.

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

Weber has been on the ice for seven of the 15 goals Montreal has allowed at even strength, and 14 of the 23 they’ve allowed on the whole. And Mete, who has less of a role on the team’s penalty kill, has been on for five of the 15 at even strength.

Weber looked dodgy (by his standards) over the last chunk of last season, but we could chalk it up to coming back from injury. It's slightly ominous that this sub-standard play is continuing. We have seven more years of Weber at a cap hit of $8 mil. Good thing he will be immune from the aging process... 🙄

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weber looked dodgy (by his standards) over the last chunk of last season, but we could chalk it up to coming back from injury. It's slightly ominous that this sub-standard play is continuing. We have seven more years of Weber at a cap hit of $8 mil. Good thing he will be immune from the aging process... 🙄

It’s definitely unfair to bring it up at this point. Weber has been off but let’s wait until his first 2 or 3 goal game this year before bringing it up. Without looking up any stats, it’s easy to predict that he’ll score 15 goals this year and put up more than 40 points. 

41 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s definitely unfair to bring it up at this point. Weber has been off but let’s wait until his first 2 or 3 goal game this year before bringing it up. Without looking up any stats, it’s easy to predict that he’ll score 15 goals this year and put up more than 40 points. 

Thats all great, but you want him to be playing strong defensively too.  So far he isn't. 

Last season,  54.47% CF and 54.14% xG
So far this year. 49.75% CF and 49.63% xG

a 5% drop off is not a good sign. 

That said, its 6 games so its a small sample size and he can definitely turn it around, but right now he's not playing well enough at 5 on 5.

The penalty kill is even more concerning. 

GA/60 is 14.29 this year
GA/60 was 5.36 last year. 

Thats nearly triple the goals against per 60 minutes of ice time on the penalty kill.  Now I don't think its all Weber, there are a lot of things that are going wrong on the habs PK right now, but its a number to look at that shows how things have gone so far. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not last night.  Claude started diminishing his ice time against Detroit and St. Louis.

I think everyone’s patience will wear pretty thin if this continues into the year.

I think in regards to Weber just like Kotkaniemi they both are clearly struggling but it is not entirely there fault. I think Weber will eventually turn it around because he is a grizzled vet and from what I’m seeing a lot of it is his positioning and bumbling the puck which can be corrected.