Oct. 15, Tampa Bay vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

45 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I think everyone’s patience will wear pretty thin if this continues into the year.

I think in regards to Weber just like Kotkaniemi they both are clearly struggling but it is not entirely there fault. I think Weber will eventually turn it around because he is a grizzled vet and from what I’m seeing a lot of it is his positioning and bumbling the puck which can be corrected.

Sometimes, when players get old, they fall off a cliff. I don't expect this to be the case with Weber. What is more likely to happen are sustained bouts of substandard play, followed by periods where he looks like his old self. But gradually, as the former become more recurring, people will stop expecting him to play like his old self.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Sometimes, when players get old, they fall off a cliff. I don't expect this to be the case with Weber. What is more likely to happen are sustained bouts of substandard play, followed by periods where he looks like his old self. But gradually, as the former become more recurring, people will stop expecting him to play like his old self.

This is to be expected but hopefully Weber can continue on as Chara has down at the tail end of his career.

The good thing is Petry looks to be taking the next step, which should soften the blow when Weber no longer can be relied on to be a top D man.

8 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

This is to be expected but hopefully Weber can continue on as Chara has down at the tail end of his career.

The good thing is Petry looks to be taking the next step, which should soften the blow when Weber no longer can be relied on to be a top D man.

Yes, the way Petry has gotten better and better - hitting another level to his game at ages 30 and 31 - is something we don't see too often. He was always a quality player, but it took him about nine seasons as a regular to really hit his peak. Or maybe CJ's coaching has something to do with it. Either way, he's beating the odds for sure.

• Like 1

I think this is one of those games that the result doesn't match the performance.

Minus the first 5 minutes where both teams were feeling each other out. The habs were the better team I thought for ALL but 3/4 minutes of that game and TB scored 3 goals in that span.

Goal 1 was scored in the middle of the top slot.  Although Coburn (a dman) does circle back to the point, he was not Webers man.

Maybe it was Webers fault as he should of laid down and blocked the rising shot that was deflected by drouin stick... sarcasm

Goal 2 on the PP. Weber goes to help Lehkonan in the corner. Lehk falls down loses the battle in the corner and they rotate the puck to the point and across to stamkos... 

Maybe Weber should of magically got out of the corner to get to Stamkos and his sweet spot before he fires top corner. Sarcasm

Goal 3 was a bad line change and on top of that TB's first pass out of zone connects all the way to our blue line where Weber does make it into position coming from the bench. He keeps his player wide and forces a cross ice pass on a 3 on 2 where Mete doesn't step up on the shot and is backing up with a 3rd TB player streaking/ splitting  the 2 defencemen going to the net. Weber had 2 players there and neither scored as he collapsed to the net to get the streaking player.

Maybe Weber should of brought a longer stick and intercept that cross ice pass on the 3on2

The point

this was one the teams best defensive performances of the season. We needed to be better on D and we were exactly that. With that said, you cant give up the middle of the ice like that and not expect to get punished by a lethal finishing team like TB. And a bad line change after giving up 2 goals in a minute? UNACCEPTABLE!

Weber needs to better for sure on the season overall! The whole team does though! But tonight, none of those 3 goals are related to his play on the night. As another note, we have all agreed that he needs help on the first pair.

Of course, hes gonna slow down going into the tail end of his career. It's a inevitable. BUT, are we really blaming Weber for 3 critical team errors made in a span of 4 minutes that cost us against one of the most lethal OFF in hockey. And none were actually his errors? If so, this going to be one helluva long season on this thread.

• Like 1

On the first goal... tampa was in the montreal end for a full minute and a half and got in two full line changes before the goal went in.  Are you going to tell me that Weber had no opportunity to clear the puck before that?

I havent watched the other two.goals again and frankly i dont plan to.  But the point is that there are many mistakes that lead to goals... its not just what happens in the last 3 seconds before the puck goes in the net.

Of course not... and it was more then a minute...

I do believe he didnt deserve to be minus 3 on the night though. Tonight wasnt  his worse game of the season by any stretch yet because hes minus 3....  the chirping 

Goal 2 was on a PP and #3 was  coming on from a long line change in the 2nd