Extrapolation of Hab points and progress comparison to last season

Allan Katz

Extrapolation: 4-2-2 = x 82 games - 102.5 points - 3rd in our division, 5th in our conference, 6th in the league. And this is before the Wild game tomorrow. So given a hoped for win tomorrow the extrapolation will be 5-2-2 = x 82 games - 108.06 points - 2nd in our division, 2nd in our conference, 2nd in the league. - Not bad for a bumpy start. Of course if we lose tomorrow my day will be somewhat ruined and I will be bitter and disenfranchised. But for now .... :    )~   

On 10/19/2019 at 6:14 PM, Allan Katz said:

Extrapolation: 4-2-2 = x 82 games - 102.5 points - 3rd in our division, 5th in our conference, 6th in the league. And this is before the Wild game tomorrow. So given a hoped for win tomorrow the extrapolation will be 5-2-2 = x 82 games - 108.06 points - 2nd in our division, 2nd in our conference, 2nd in the league. - Not bad for a bumpy start. Of course if we lose tomorrow my day will be somewhat ruined and I will be bitter and disenfranchised. But for now .... :    )~   

Extrapolation@10gm: 4-4-2 = 82 points and out of the palyoffs by a wide margin. It is too early in the aseason to call it. probably after 20 or 21 games it will be more clear.

But without a point producing right wing to play with Domi and Tatar/Byron producing at the same level as last year, it looks like the CH will rather be stockpiling draft choices at the deadline instead of tweaking the team for a deep playoff run.

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Extrapolation@10gm: 4-4-2 = 82 points and out of the palyoffs by a wide margin. It is too early in the aseason to call it. probably after 20 or 21 games it will be more clear.

But without a point producing right wing to play with Domi and Tatar/Byron producing at the same level as last year, it looks like the CH will rather be stockpiling draft choices at the deadline instead of tweaking the team for a deep playoff run.

Biggest issue isnt up front. 7th in goals for and 8th ranked PP. We all know where biggest need is and Chiarot hasnt helped solidify the defense.

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The team has 36 goals in 10 games.... 3.6 goals per game, amongst the best in the NHL. 

Point producing wings are not the problem.  The team scores goals because they have 4 lines with players who can score in any given game. 

Biggest issue, by far, is killing penalties.  Figure that out and this is a playoff team.  (We said the same about the PP last year).

I have no real problen at all with our FW configuration.

The team still needs an impact LD. 

You know, I've been thinking about this. Today's NHL seems to be about fine distinctions. Most teams are good teams. A few teams have it in them to be great teams. But really, it takes 82 games to separate the wheat from the slightly worse wheat. 

The Habs are a bubble team. But they're also a pretty good team. Upgrading the D may well be all we really need to get over that playoff bar. And once we're decisively over that bar, we can assess what, if anything, we'd need in order to go the distance.

Given the gradually-closing windows of Weber and Price, I don't think we should be playing the 'let's just wait 3-4 years for prospects' game. We should be serious about making the playoffs this season and then leveling up thereafter. This will not require decimating our prospect pool. But it may require moving a blue-chip prospect to get back an impact LD who is not an old man. 

I didn't like our static off-season, and I don't want still more stasis through to the trade deadline. Fill the f**king hole at LD, please.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have no real problen at all with our FW configuration.

The team still needs an impact LD. 

You know, I've been thinking about this. Today's NHL seems to be about fine distinctions. Most teams are good teams. A few teams have it in them to be great teams. But really, it takes 82 games to separate the wheat from the slightly worse wheat. 

The Habs are a bubble team. But they're also a pretty good team. Upgrading the D may well be all we really need to get over that playoff bar. And once we're decisively over that bar, we can assess what, if anything, we'd need in order to go the distance.

Given the gradually-closing windows of Weber and Price, I don't think we should be playing the 'let's just wait 3-4 years for prospects' game. We should be serious about making the playoffs this season and then leveling up thereafter. This will not require decimating our prospect pool. But it may require moving a blue-chip prospect to get back an impact LD who is not an old man. 

I didn't like our static off-season, and I don't want still more stasis through to the trade deadline. Fill the f**king hole at LD, please.

As I've said before, we won't see real impact trades for still a couple more weeks throughout the league... and no, pittsburgh trading a 3rd pairing overpaid D for Andreas martinsen and a 7th is not an impact trade. 

Anything resembling a top pairing D won't be moving anywhere in the league before mid november at the earliest.  Even More likely it will be a January/February move though.  Teams just aren't ready to give up on the season yet. 

Even a solid 2LD could do it, if it’s someone that is a really good fit for our team and our system. 

But we do need to find someone that’s willing to trade such a player to us, on terms that make sense to us. At this point I can see players that I would love to see wearing the CH but are their teams willing to give them up?

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Even a solid 2LD could do it, if it’s someone that is a really good fit for our team and our system. 

But we do need to find someone that’s willing to trade such a player to us, on terms that make sense to us. At this point I can see players that I would love to see wearing the CH but are their teams willing to give them up?

I just put a list of LHD in the other thread. 

I did the top 4 LHD who are UFA after this season, so they might be available as rentals. 

And then LD who are on bad teams and they might look to make a change.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

As I've said before, we won't see real impact trades for still a couple more weeks throughout the league... and no, pittsburgh trading a 3rd pairing overpaid D for Andreas martinsen and a 7th is not an impact trade. 

Anything resembling a top pairing D won't be moving anywhere in the league before mid november at the earliest.  Even More likely it will be a January/February move though.  Teams just aren't ready to give up on the season yet. 

Hey, it doesn't have to be tomorrow. But I rate MB's summer as mediocre, and we should expect a solution to this LD problem this season. Waiting three years to fix a major hole is ridiculous.