Change to post voting

Certainly a wise choice..

If a system of the sort needs to be in place, perhaps just simply a "Like" button being the only option could work. If the content you are posting is something people get behind then you can gain "Likes" and if your content is something they don't, then you gain nothing. A positive contributor to the site could rack up likes, while someone less so, would rack them up at a very slow pace, if at all, nothing malicious can be done to circumvent it.

🙁 I always wanted to be the person to give you your first downvote, Brian. I was just never given the right opportunity...

2 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

🙁 I always wanted to be the person to give you your first downvote, Brian. I was just never given the right opportunity...

Don't worry - I've received plenty of them in the past.

11 hours ago, Link67 said:

Certainly a wise choice..

If a system of the sort needs to be in place, perhaps just simply a "Like" button being the only option could work. If the content you are posting is something people get behind then you can gain "Likes" and if your content is something they don't, then you gain nothing. A positive contributor to the site could rack up likes, while someone less so, would rack them up at a very slow pace, if at all, nothing malicious can be done to circumvent it.

That's basically what it's going to be now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Don't worry - I've received plenty of them in the past.

I was kidding, as you know, but the post didn’t have the same kick with the “sarcasm on” emoticon. 

I like how it is now but maybe a "dislike" button? I say this only bcuz a dislike can be an option to the harsh downvote.

downvotes can be a good way to start convos but if some1 want to just say no and downvotes a dislike can be an alternative, maybe

16 minutes ago, ehjay said:

I like how it is now but maybe a "dislike" button? I say this only bcuz a dislike can be an option to the harsh downvote.

downvotes can be a good way to start convos but if some1 want to just say no and downvotes a dislike can be an alternative, maybe

I think the down vote button was actually technically called the dislike button.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ehjay said:

How is that any different? 

As always, Brian is the statesmanlike leader of this group. Good call sir 🤙

My eccentric thought would be for a "?" button instead of a downvote. This would allow skeptics to register skepticism, without quite the same passive-aggressive oomph as the downvote. But this is just an out-of-left-field notion. Happy to go with upvotes only if that is the general preference.

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

My eccentric thought would be for a "?" button instead of a downvote. This would allow skeptics to register skepticism, without quite the same passive-aggressive oomph as the downvote. But this is just an out-of-left-field notion. Happy to go with upvotes only if that is the general preference.

Or just don't be lazy and respond to the post😊

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It is a left-field idea indeed, but not a bad one. But I don't think the Invision forum software will support it.

Using emojis instead of +/- or up/down votes may work. But that would not be backward compatible

I think disabling the down votes is a good compromise 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Using emojis instead of +/- or up/down votes may work. But that would not be backward compatible

I think disabling the down votes is a good compromise 

6 hours ago, Habber31 said:

Or just don't be lazy and respond to the post😊

YOU'RE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE?

😲😲😲😲😲😲

I thought for months you were the same person.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

YOU'RE TWO DIFFERENT PEOPLE?

😲😲😲😲😲😲

I thought for months you were the same person.

I'm surprised you would come anywhere near this thread; your bread and butter downvotes, are no more. 

5 hours ago, Habber31 said:

I'm surprised you would come anywhere near this thread; your bread and butter downvotes, are no more. 

As I've said at least a dozen times.... I don't care about votes.   You constantly complained about the downvotes, but I'm pretty sure that both you and Metallica downvoted me regularly.  Funny how I'd get two downvotes whenever I argued with either of you.  Strange how that whole thing works. 

As I've also said a number of other times.... I have better things to do with my time then to get into a fight with you over this (or anything else).  Why you'd even try to start one now over posts... I don't know... relax, smoke a dube, whatever... I made a joke, no need to come back attacking me about it. 

But I'll be the bigger person here and just walk away.  Welcome to my ignore list. 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

As I've said at least a dozen times.... I don't care about votes.   You constantly complained about the downvotes, but I'm pretty sure that both you and Metallica downvoted me regularly.  Funny how that works. 

As I've also said a number of other times.... I have better things to do with my time then to get into a fight with you over this (or anything else).  Why you'd even try to start one now over posts... I don't know... relax, smoke a dube, whatever... I made a joke, no need to come back attacking me about it. 

But I'll be the bigger person here and just walk away.  Welcome to my ignore list. 

You don't care about votes, yet you down vote people? Funny how that works...

And no, I have never down voted you. 

Anyways, it is a stupid argument, which is the reason the down votes are being dismantled. 

• Like 1

Hi all even though this is my first post I always look in and read some post from time to time. Thought I would finally sign up.

If you're looking for a new system how about the more you post the more you level up. And you show the persons level up instead of how many it times their post have been liked. This way gets more people posting more often and it doesn't become a popularity contest.

• Upvote 1

On 10/21/2019 at 3:31 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Something like this is an option.  A smaller version of this is available as an option and does not carry a +1/-1 option.  I'm a little hesitant to try that at this point though as that could ultimately yield a similar result; posters will use that for the wrong reasons like they did the -1.

react_confused.png

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Hi all even though this is my first post I always look in and read some post from time to time. Thought I would finally sign up.

If you're looking for a new system how about the more you post the more you level up. And you show the persons level up instead of how many it times their post have been liked. This way gets more people posting more often and it doesn't become a popularity contest.

First, welcome aboard.  Were you able to get the confirmation email quickly?  I ask as I know some people have had issues getting one.

Second, we actually have a system like this in place.  If you look below your username below your post above, you'll see Initiation.  That title will increase as your post frequency does.  (And I think when you get to the top ranking, you're able to customize what your title is.)  That's one of the things that was set up back in 2003 that we've carried over as we've made changes/upgrades over the years.

Title Minimum Content Items Preview  
Initiation 0  
  •  
  •  
Novice 50  
  •  
  •  
Atom 100  
  •  
  •  
Peewee 150  
  •