Qualifying offers

I'm a little confused about this. My understanding is that teams have till 5:00 Friday July 29 to make qualifying offers on RFAs. If none are received by then the player becomes a UFA.

Is this right?

It can't be......

I have heard of offers to:

Koivu, Theodore, Markov and Ribeiro

That leaves:

Boullion, Bulis, Dagenais, Hossa, Komisarek, Ryder and Ward without offers so far.

I must be wrong.

Can anyone clear this up?

all the same, the date for qualifying offers is sunday.

see:

Fri. July 29: Deadline to buyout players at 2/3 of their salary without it counting against the cap.

Sat. July 30: 2005 NHL Entry Draft, Canadiens' top pick is #5 overall.

Sun. July 31: Deadline to extend qualifying offers to RFA's.

Mon. August 1: UFA signing period begins.

From RDs

MONTREAL (PC) - Bob Gainey discussed with two formations in the hope to improve the row of selection of the Canadian of Montreal for the fishing out which will take place in Ottawa tomorrow. The general manager of Tricolour indicated to have received phone calls of one or two teams which are in front of but also calls of one or two teams which are behind the club. Gainey noted that the chances to see the Canadian compromising are not very high at a few hours of the fishing out. Mighty Ducks d' Anaheim already announced to be laid out to exchange their second rank of selection whereas Hurricanes of the Caroline, do not intend to yield their third rank of selection. The Canadian will select with the 5th rank. Gainey confirmed to be in the search of a defender and an attacker of foreground. In addition, Gainey indicated that all the autonomous players with compensation will receive a qualificative offer before Sunday, 17 hours. Up to now, José Theodore, Andreï Markov, Saku Koivu and Mike Ribeiro obtained an offer of contract. Lastly, the Canadian will hold his camp of the recruits at the time of a tournament envisaged on September 5 in Ottawa. The camp of drive of Tricolour must get going on September 13 with the Bell Center.

French to english translation kind of sucks but you get the point.

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

In addition, Gainey indicated that all the autonomous players with compensation will receive a qualificative offer before Sunday, 17 hours.

I don't buy it, he can't tell the press before telling the players, so he says that all players will receive a qualif... but im pretty sure that 1-3 wont receive a qualif or will sign a lower deal than the qualif (bulis will be offered less than 950k )

Ward made 800k in the last NHL season, to be qualified he'd need a (I think) 10% raise on that. (I'm not taking the 24% rollback into account though... so maybe it was less)

Gainey obviously doesnt want to spend close to a million dollars on a 4th liner, he'd prefer spending the league minimum salary of 450k on a player like that. Makes sense... But I'm sorry to lose Ward (unless we re-sign him at a reduced rate)

[Edited on 2005-7-31 by puck7x]

I agree with puck, I really hope we are able to bring him back. He was a great fit on the 4th line. Good defensive player who has the skill to play some offense. His game never totally transferred to the NHL, but I still really liked his intensity.

The report that I read on CHFans reads like this:

"Le dimanche 31 juillet 2005 - Selon RDS, Bob Gainey n'a pas fait d'offre qualificative à Jason Ward compte tenu qu'il considérait le salaire à verser trop élevé (669 000$). Le Canadien aurait tenté de négocier un nouveau contrat et aurait également tenter de l'échanger sans succès.

Dès lundi 12h00, Ward sera libre de signer avec une autre équipe.

Jason Ward avait été sélectionné par le Canadien au 11ième rang du repêchage de 1997. Il aura accumulé 10 buts et 12 passes pour un total de 22 points en 110 parties jouées avec le Canadien.

Source: RDS"

Gainey didn't make a qualifying offer to Ward because he thought the salary would be too high. The Canadiens tried to negotiate a new contract and also tried to trade him without success.

The rest is just general related info.

I strongly suspect that that will be the case. I wonder who it will be. Higgins or Plekanec?

They seem to be the only two who are appropriate ones that I can think of...

Ward's story was an odd one.

High pick with solid potential. Has injury problems. Fails to make the Habs for several years. Stays in the AHL, puts up average numbers, basically falls off the hockey map then bam leads the AHL in scoring and wins the MVP and gets the Dogs within a game of the Calder Cup. I figured after that Ward had finally matured into a solid player. I'm sad to see him go. Seemed like a decent kid who tried but just couldn't make it.

Dowd to run the 4th line? He is definitely above replacement-level 4th line center, but im a bit worried about logjamming the prospects.

Was dowd playing anywhere this past year? At 37 he might not come back so good... I don't think the habs are keeping him. Begin is quite serviceable running the 4th..

[Edited on 8/1/2005 by simonus]