Qualifying offers

Originally posted by Tony

Just curious, would you say Jason Ward was a bust for the Habs?

I wouldn't consider him a bust, but I do consider him a disappointment.

Actually disappointment sounds too harsh, but I can't come up with an accurate euphemism.

He didn't live up to what he was supposed to.

Much like how Hainsey and Hossa will find work in the NHL, but won't be dominant like they were supposed to. (Just an example, they could actually turn into the stars they were deemed to be.

This has probably already been posted on one line or another but...

Pierre Dagenais has been given a qualifying offer of 450,000. It doesn't say for how long but it does say that it's a two-way contract offer. Dagenais will be negotiating for a one-way contract.

Originally posted by simonus

he probably deserves the one-way contract, but the habs need him to be movable and more cap-friendly.

Yeah, dont complain. Who cares what he deserves, this gives us so much more flexibility. :) good job Gainey.

A two way contract means he can go to the AHL without having to clear waivers, yes?

I can see where he'd hate that, but I also see it as being good for him. If he has a one way contract, he'll play 50 games and sit in the pressbox the rest of the time.

With a two way contract, he never stops playing and gets to improve his game. The AHL would be a perfect place for him to improve his skating, and if that makes him a better player, he won't need the two way contract next year.

And in the end, he is still good enough to play 50 games for the Habs, if not more