Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Oct. 26, Toronto vs Montreal, 7 PM

Recommended Posts

PPG. To open the third. And Armia.

 

Armia is really starting to look like one of Bergevin's best deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

PPG. To open the third. And Armia.

 

Armia is really starting to look like one of Bergevin's best deals.

Getting a middle 6 RW at the cost of two years of $1 366 667 dead cap (that Winnipeg ended up not even needing to deal) is the kind of deal I wish Bergevin had been able to do again this year with the cap space the Habs still have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Drouin breakaway for the hatty, please.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kid with what should be the dagger!  Loving this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game just underlines the fact that scoring really isn't the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Anytime Price would like to start playing like a 10.5 million dollar goalie would be alright by me.

 

Typing out, 'But how bad would the score have been if he wasn't in net?" kinda loses its sway after a bunch of 3+ goals against games.

 

He certainly started earning it after that second goal. Definitely redeemed himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look at Drouin showing he can be a star player when he wants too.

 

Armia and Suzuki looking real solid too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a sweeter taste than the despair of LeafsNation? 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a solid 3rd, played well 2/3 of the game 

 

I have been tough on Drouin, but he has been pretty good so far this year. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This game just underlines the fact that scoring really isn't the issue.

Don't be too sure Toronto played last night. If they were well rested could be a different story. The issue with this team is its D. Theirs a reason why our PK is bad because it unmaskes our weaknesses on  the D side. Our D has a hard time boxing players out and clearing the zone. 5 on 5 you really can't notice it that much but on the PK you can. 

Edited by Habsfan89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Look at Drouin showing he can be a star player when he wants too.

 

Armia and Suzuki looking real solid too.

 

Drouin and Armia are really working well together. The A-D-D line registered 12 shots (and three goals!) in the game, almost half of the total shots by forwards. Drouin, Domi and Armia are first, second and fourth in Habs' scoring stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cale Fleury! (In my book he and Petry are did outshine Weber.)

 

I bit worried about Kotkaniemi. Time to call up Poehling and give him some rest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Don't be too sure Toronto played last night. If they were well rested could be a different story. The issue with this is its D. Theirs a reason why our PK is bad because it unmaskes our weaknesses on  the D side. Our D has a hard time boxing players out and clearing the zone. 5 on 5 you really can't notice it that much but on the PK you can. 

 

Quite. D is our weakness, and particularly exposed on PK. So my point was that we should not be thinking about getting more forwards; a top-four LD should be in everyone's letters to Santa Claus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This game just underlines the fact that scoring really isn't the issue.

This is were I go chasing for crow to eat 🤐

I guess we don't need that2nd line RW if Armia continues like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

 

Quite. D is our weakness, and particularly exposed on PK. So my point was that we should not be thinking about getting more forwards; a top-four LD should be in everyone's letters to Santa Claus.

Yeah my thought all along this off season was to re vamp our D on the left side. Last year scoring wasn't a problem it was keeping the puck out our net and our special teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Don't be too sure Toronto played last night. If they were well rested could be a different story. The issue with this team is its D. Theirs a reason why our PK is bad because it unmaskes our weaknesses on  the D side. Our D has a hard time boxing players out and clearing the zone. 5 on 5 you really can't notice it that much but on the PK you can. 

 

I dint care about the Leafs being on a back to back.  The doesnt explain why the Habs have 41 goals in 11 games which is averaging almost 4 goals a game. They arent always getting teams on back to backs.

 

He was right.  The problem is not scoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really fun game tonight, although I felt the doom and gloom after that late 1st period goal - then Armia opened the 3rd like that.  Slick finishing on our breakaways.  Felt like we wanted this one more than Toronto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

I dint care about the Leafs being on a back to back.  The doesnt explain why the Habs have 41 goals in 11 games which is averaging almost 4 goals a game. They arent always getting teams on back to backs.

 

He was right.  The problem is not scoring.

I agree with him that the problem isn't scoring. Its our D, it always has been our D.  After last year I was hoping that we could pick up some D's on the free agent market or through trades but that didn't happen. Our PK is bad because you can see our D has a hard time boxing out players and clearing the zone. 5 on 5 its easy to hide but on the PK it isn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Weal gets back into the lineup, I feel like it won't be to replace Cousins. Might be Lehkonen at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

I agree with him that the problem isn't scoring. Its our D, it always has been our D.  After last year I was hoping that we could pick up some D's on the free agent market or through trades but that didn't happen. Our PK is bad because you can see our D has a hard time boxing out players and clearing the zone. 5 on 5 its easy to hide but on the PK it isn't.


PK should be possible to improve with coaching. But even so, our D is struggling too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:


PK should be possible to improve with coaching. But even so, our D is struggling too often.

 

Count me among those who say the FWs are fine and that the D is a patchup job. As I've been posting recently, an impact LD is the piece that would vault us over the playoff bar and change the conversation from whether we can make the playoffs, toward what we need in order to win. Seeing how it took Bergevin six years to find a single legit top-6 C, I'm not holding my breath; we're only going into year 3 of the gaping chasm at LD.

 

Drouin seems to have the eye of the tiger this year. Gary Galley commented that he's been 'humbled' by his failures in Montreal. Maybe that's what he needed to start fulfilling his potential.

 

Can Armia keep it up? Exciting to think we might actually have a power forward with size on the club.

 

I'm enjoying Cale Fleury too. He's no great star but he does bring a different set of attributes to the back end.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its the enire D zone thats the problem, D is weak overall, 

 

In the D zone they stand around too much and just watch the puck, they are too soft in front of the net and the corners, cross crease passes are completed way too often and they are not strong on the puck. 

 

They turn the puck over in really bad locations 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris said:

Its the enire D zone thats the problem, D is weak overall, 

 

In the D zone they stand around too much and just watch the puck, they are too soft in front of the net and the corners, cross crease passes are completed way too often and they are not strong on the puck. 

 

They turn the puck over in really bad locations 

 

Sure. But add one strong LD and it makes everyone else better. That's what adding talent does, it means you can rely a little less on guys who can only play so many minutes (including Weber) without becoming over-stretched. I'm not saying it's a magic bullet, but it will make a significant difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree on talent, 

 

Bit the habs arent 1 LD from being a contender 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is trashing the D Constantly but nobody At all  is holding Price accountable for giving up a goal every 5 shots  over close to 5 periods. We pay him substantially to be the best player and PK’er  on our team and best goalie in the league frankly. And on most nights he should be just that.

 

With that said, He did settle down last night during  the game but didn’t get challanged all that much in his last 2 games either.

 

Again,  we can ill afford Price starting off slowly for 2 months before catching fire in December like last season. We need him to be consistently good all season long! Something we haven’t seen from him since his Vezina winning season which seems ages ago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...