Kariya to Montreal

KoZed

Montreal to sign unrestricted free agent winger Paul Kariya if Alex Kovalev bolts to Pittsburgh.

It appears as though the Habs and Pens may be competing for the same players when the UFA market opens on August 1. Kovalev is expected to make a decision between returning to Montreal or signing with another of his former clubs--Pittsburgh. The loser of the Kovalev sweepstakes could turn their attention towards Kariya. Both teams will also compete for defensive help, and Avalanche stalwart Adam Foote is the ultimate free-agent fetch for both squads.

http://www.forecaster.ca/demo/hockey/extra...05-draft-rumors

From the ever-accurate 4th Period:

The Canadiens have also reportedly spoken to the Philadelphia Flyers about dealing them the fifth overall, if prospect Bobby Ryan is still available.

Sources suggest the Flyers have made winger Simon Gagne available, but it's uncertain if GM Bob Clarke would pull the trigger on such a trade.

Originally posted by simonus

From the ever-accurate 4th Period:

The Canadiens have also reportedly spoken to the Philadelphia Flyers about dealing them the fifth overall, if prospect Bobby Ryan is still available.

Sources suggest the Flyers have made winger Simon Gagne available, but it's uncertain if GM Bob Clarke would pull the trigger on such a trade.

Simon Gagné? Gosh, I hope not. He's good but not good enough for that kind of trade. Maybe Gagné and someone else + Phillie's 1st pick but not much less.

Kariya is a skilled player but he just might be to small for us. He didn't became the star many expected but still a very good 2nd liner. We need a star or some muscles for the first line and Kariya doesn't give us that.

If Kovalev decides to be a Penguin again I would like to see us signing LeClair for what he's worth.

Originally posted by ch_nl

Kariya is a skilled player but he just might be to small for us. He didn't became the star many expected but still a very good 2nd liner. We need a star or some muscles for the first line and Kariya doesn't give us that.

If Kovalev decides to be a Penguin again I would like to see us signing LeClair for what he's worth.

Leclair? No, disagree with this one too. To be honest, I can't give you a name so this isn't constructive but still, Leclair wouldn't do. Too damaged.

if montreal misses kovalev its not the end of the world there are alot of free agents and i would not sign leclair he is rly not there anymore his gears are finished if i have to get someone old i think i would go for selanne because he is good with montreals center (my fav player:) ) koivu!!! and if u would put zednik on the line u got a good startting line but if not kovalev why not murray:/) i find him great player he has the speed the size and the power

I'm a bit mixed emotions if this is true. Paul Kariya was my favorite hockey player growing up and it would be awesome if he joined the team but something tells me it wouldn't be right.

This feeling probably comes from that one bad season he had in Colorado and how he also got injured quite a few times. Don't forget he didn't play any hockey during the lockout, so let's hope he's not out of shape.

04-May-04: Missed all 5 games of Round One against the Dallas Stars and the first 5 games of Round Two against the San Jose Sharks (sprained ankle).

07-Apr-04: Sprained ankle, sidelined indefinitely.

06-Jan-04: Missed 21 games (wrist injury).

31-Dec-03: Wrist injury, day-to-day.

16-Nov-03: Wrist injury, sidelined indefinitely.

15-Nov-03: Wrist injury, left Saturday's game.

13-Nov-03: Missed 10 games (wrist injury).

22-Oct-03: Wrist injury, sidelined indefinitely.

03-Jul-03: Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Colorado Avalanche to a one-year contract.

By the way that's what I'm talking about, sorry for the double post.

I wrote "for what he's worth".

I don't think LeClair is finished. In Philadelphia he had a lot of players that plays the same kind of game as he do. The Habs don't have any of his kind and therefore I think he would be an asset. He may not be a 50 goal per season player but with the right surounding he could get his play back.

Don't forget, if we assume he will be injury free, then with the new rules and changes this will benefit Kariya since he is a speedy player and will be a scoring threat with a more open game.

But like all of you have been saying is isn't the best move for the team.

For some reason, whenever I look at possible lineups for the Habs I always like the thought of Zednik on the second line with Ribs and Ryder. But that only works if there is someone better than Zednik on the top line. So if I were a greedy guy (with no real concept of what could happen with the CBA) my lineup would be:

Selanne - Koivu - Kovalev

Zednik - Ribiero - Ryder

With Selanne signed, Koivu is happy, and with Kovalev on Koivu's wing everyone on that line gets more points.

And Zednik and Ryder flanking Ribiero just seems like an awesome combo.

But, it won't (and shouldn't) happen.

I think the only way we should get Kariya is if he signs for the same deal he got in Colorado. Not gonna happen, so why not raise the bar and say........ Markus Naslund? It'd be nice to have another Naslund on the team and OH how deadly would that line be?

Marcus Näslund is a tricky player.

Whenever he plays for Tre Kronor it doesn't really work. Same thing happend when he returned to MoDo last season. And we all know how he did while he was in Pittsburgh.

I'd say it's a risk to sign Näslund. Don't get me wrong, Marcus Näslund is an awesome player when things goes his way. Only problem is, I don't think he will sign with another team if they don't get Forsberg as well.

But Forsberg and Näslund would be great. Having Forsberg on the left wing. But that wouldn't be to great since Forsberg is injury phrone and Ribeiro, Koivu, Näslund and Zednik are not that famous for doing the dirty job.

I agree. But I think all of the top notch forwards have a bit of risk in them even Kovalev, I love what he did for us in the playoffs but he has been known for spouting off when things arn't going well. It's going to be tough now for the Habs(and others) 'cause a mistake now with one of these guys could haunt them(and us) for a few years 'cause of the cap.