2005 Draft Day Thread

shortcat1

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, only one D-man. What is up with that? Defence is clearly the weakest of the positions we have in our system. I just don't get it. BG must think the FA(s) he'll go after will be around for a while.

Pretty solid overall draft for the Habs. Latendresse is almost a 1st-rounder given his high upside. Mikus was a late riser and could be a steal. The rest of the forwards we picked all have decent upside and Paquet is an interesting project. Could have done much worse.

My short thoughts of all our picks...

Carey Price: I hate the fact that we took a goalie #5 overall. But the reviews on him are all great, and he gives a good interview, seems like a great person, is very mature. I'll give him a chance for sure.

Guillaume Latendresse: Absolutely love this pick. Great job by Gainey to acquire this pick from the Rangers. Latendresse is a steal at this spot. He could of gone in the 1st round. He fills a role that none of our other prospects can, he's a POWER FORWARD. He's strong as hell, and loves to play physical. He's not a sure thing, but he's great pick where we got him.

Juraj Mikus: Never really heard about him before today, but I like what I've read so far. Very skilled good skating and big centre, plus a right handed shot. Compares to M.Hejduk also... Also a big late riser in the draft, its always great to draft guys like that. Could be a gem

Mathieu Aubin: Dont like this pick at all, but I'll have to see more of Aubin before I write him off completely. This pick reminds me of the Urquhart one... I really think we should have taken a D-man at this spot.

Matt D’Agostini: Dont know much at all about him, so I really cant say anything. Again, I would have preffered to draft a D-man by now... But we'll see what happens in the future with this player.

Siarhei Kostitsyn: Great pick! Loved what I saw out of little'kost at the WJHC's, less skill then his brother, but a more agressive game. This pick should also make Andrei happy, and a happy Andrei is good for the habs.

Philippe Paquet: About time we drafted a D. I dont know anything about Paquet, but it seems like he has potential, I love that he's a great skater.

What's good about drafting Siarhei Kostitsyn is that he and Andrei will be playing for teams base in the same province (London & Hamilton), so they should get some occasions to hang out together and feel a little more at home in Canada. A bonus for both.

[Edited on 31-7-2005 by ap79]

Originally posted by ap79

What's good about drafting Siarhei Kostitsyn is that he and Andrei will be playing for teams base in the same province (Sudbury & Hamilton), so they should get some occasions to hang out together and feel a little more at home in Canada. A bonus for both.

Its actually London, but a good point anyways.

I would love Bob Gainey to prove me wrong but I think Brule had been a better pick. Even Kopitar had made me happier.

Latendresse was the best pick we did. Maybe it cost us Dan Ryder but maybe Im to keen on drafting brother of players allready in the system. Just like I think of drafting Mikko Koivu.

Mikus was an interesting choice. I'll have faith in the organization on this one.

Aubin. It would have been nice to pick a defencemen here but if Aubin was the best player available it's fine by me.

I don't have an opinion on the other players but having two Kastsitsyn makes me believe that at least one will make it.

Bobby Ryan was the second overall pick. That was a surprise to me.

I was sure Jack Johnson would go after Crosby. Guess Carolina fans are pretty happy about this.

And I thought many teams where interested in Anaheim's second pick so they could draft Poulit or Johnson. But if Anaheim was planing to take Ryan all the time why didn't they deal their second pick?

Originally posted by ch_nl

Bobby Ryan was the second overall pick. That was a surprise to me.

I was sure Jack Johnson would go after Crosby. Guess Carolina fans are pretty happy about this.

And I thought many teams where interested in Anaheim's second pick so they could draft Poulit or Johnson. But if Anaheim was planing to take Ryan all the time why didn't they deal their second pick?

Because Philly was actively trying to trade up to take Ryan... moving down could have meant giving Philly an opportunity to steal him away.

Not worth it just to get an extra mid-level pick.

-----------------------------------------------

The beginning of the draft reminded me a little of the year Bouwmeester was being touted as the top pick all year... then Nash ends up top pick at the draft.

Again today after all the Johnson talk, power-forward Ryan ends up going before the better projected D man.

We'll see if they will have been right again to do so.

But from what I heard even the Habs was interesting in the second pick so they could have taken Johnson or Pouliot.

If Johnson had been taken in the second round don't you think the Canes would have used their first round pick to get Staal?

And Columbus said earlier that they would pick Kopitar if he was available... But that didn't happen.

Anaheim and Montreal sure gave this draft the twist.

Carey Price seems be a much better prospect than M.A. Fleury was in 2003. He is nearly a full year younger, a lot bigger and stronger, and has a better record than Fleury had in his draft year. Price also seems smarter and more mature, to me, but maybe that is just the language gap.

G. Latendresse seems like a left shooting mirror image of Bobby Ryan to me. I really can't see much difference between those two. Check out the prospect profiles at www.forecaster.ca, where Ryan is rated at #6, and Latendresse at #8 in their top 160. You could flip a coin between the two as far as I'm concerned.

On RDS Andre Savard said they had Carey Price ranked 5th, so they just went with their BPA, plain and simple. I'd wait to see how Price does at the WJC (if get the starting job) before placing him ahead of Fleury.

I still can't believe we got Latendresse, and so far down too. If he could only improve his skating the way Ribeiro improved his (Ribs could barely go blueline-to-blueline in the NHL at 18 yrs old), "Tenderness" might be a real steal.

Mikus in the 4th is also quite surprising. But almost all Europeans slipped this draft. Is the new CBA scaring teams away from Euros?

Originally posted by beckham

Carey Price seems be a much better prospect than M.A. Fleury was in 2003. He is nearly a full year younger, a lot bigger and stronger, and has a better record than Fleury had in his draft year. Price also seems smarter and more mature, to me, but maybe that is just the language gap.

G. Latendresse seems like a left shooting mirror image of Bobby Ryan to me. I really can't see much difference between those two. Check out the prospect profiles at www.forecaster.ca, where Ryan is rated at #6, and Latendresse at #8 in their top 160. You could flip a coin between the two as far as I'm concerned.

Can I print it and post it on my wall as "Best Beckham's post" or as "First good thing Beckham says about the habs" :/)

I feel strange, but I agree with almost everything you say :king:

Only thing though is that, although I also think " You could flip a coin between the two", There is a BIG, MAJOR difference in Ryan and Latendresse's game... which is the physical game. While Ryan might have slighltly better hands than Latendendresse, Latendresse physical game is far far far far beyond Ryan's ... nowhere have I read about the way he hits or his overall game... kinda like Leclair, a Big strong guy who goes in front of the net and doesn't move from there...

While I see Latendresse maybe more as a bertuzzi, hitting to hurt, picking fights once in a while working hard in the corners, giving troubles to the dmen etc... All in all, Not only I'm sooooooo glad we picked Latendresse over Ryan, but I prefer him over Ryan... :bow:

On RDS Andre Savard said they had Carey Price ranked 5th, so they just went with their BPA, plain and simple. I'd wait to see how Price does at the WJC (if get the starting job) before placing him ahead of Fleury.

If you want to see a network rating Price at #5, then go to

Sportsnet!

Originally posted by ap79I still can't believe we got Latendresse, and so far down too. If he could only improve his skating the way Ribeiro improved his (Ribs could barely go blueline-to-blueline in the NHL at 18 yrs old), "Tenderness" might be a real steal.

Might be??? Only might be... Come on man, although he's not a sure shot, HE IS CLEARLY A STEAL look at the other guys taken around that spot and find one who has as much upside than Latendresse...

But I know you love him, I'm just stirring the pot ;)

Mikus in the 4th is also quite surprising. But almost all Europeans slipped this draft. Is the new CBA scaring teams away from Euros?

Yeah, the teams now only have two years to sign euro players. And sometimes these guys make a lot of money in their country and don't want to sign anything untill they are guaranteed to play in NHL and even then, the entry level salary could be lower than what they are already earning... Like Korneev, maybe one of the best european blueliner prospect of the habs is said to be earning over 1M in Russia...

If Theodore leaves in a few years, people will be complaining that the Habs didn't take a goalie. You build championships from the goal out and thats what Gainey is doing. The kid sounds solid and while I was shocked and might have taken someone else, I still like the move. Now hopefully Bobo can pick up a Hatcher/Zubov to fill some holes on D.

Besides, remember fellas this pick was a gift. Most of you had the Habs projected to pick from 15-25. Not #5. Gainey needed another franchise goalie and he got it. He's covering his ass incase Theo leaves. It's smart.

[Edited on 2005/7/31 by Leafs Suck]

What have I missed? Why calculate on Theodore leaving in a few years?

If that's the way we could be asking ourselves what to do if Zednik was to leave. Play Dagenais on the first line?

No, at draft you draft the best player that fill the holes in your depth chart. Plain and simple. I don't see Gainey thinking we need another goaltender. But maybe the ranked him so high they felt they had to pick him.

And the Latendresse pick. It may turn out to be the smartest move of the day.

i dont think this pick is based on the concept that theo leaves in a few years, although that is a possiblity that one should be protected from. Goalies tend to have high relative trade value and having top-flight backups is an important and necissary ingrediant to top teams.

One can easily envision a few years of Theo-Price and feel confident that 30 games a year will be safe as a slightly older theo gets some rest. If in a few years some team needs goalies you have flexibility to draw some offensive talent to your team. Don't forget this possibly opens up other goalie prospects for movement. It isnt a bad thing to be the goalie factory.

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Tony

Wow, sucks for Roussin. Going from Florida to L.A. must suck.

Why does that suck?

Has nothing to do with Florida or L.A., just like having to get used to a new city again.