Do fans and management rely on Price too much to hide team weaknesses???

Habsfan89

One thing I hate hearing is

AS Long as Price is on top of his game,

anything can happen.

We need him to be a wall every game in order to have a chance to win. When he isn't you can really see our weaknesses.  I think this is a big reason management doesn't address our team weaknesses.  They rely on Price being a wall way to much. Our Defence has been a issue for the last 3 years yet it hasn't been upgraded. We see the struggles when we're on the PK.  We need to give Price some support in front of him.  

I think we have the scoring to compete with anyone, if we only fix our defence we can be a playoff team. We're just too soft on D.

• dlbalr changed the title to Do fans and management rely on Price too much to hide team weaknesses???
1 hour ago, Mont Royale said:

The number of times they hung Vezina out to dry was ridiculous..  😀

:) Sixteen seasons playing for the Habs. Every. Single. Game. Not much work for backup goalies back then!

Yes, he is relied upon, and ripped on way too much, he rarely gets full credit and always takes more blame than he should. 

But that's nothing new, it has been this way since he dominated the league like no other modern day goalie did a few years ago..

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

As the highest paid goalie in the league he should be relied upon... and more often than not, he has delivered

Yes but he can't do it all himself. He needs help in front of him. You can't put a patch job of a defence in front of him and hope he holds his own.

8 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yes but he can't do it all himself. He needs help in front of him. You can't put a patch job of a defence in front of him and hope he holds his own.

Sure.  

They need one more defenceman

Price is the teams superstar.  Just like McDavid is Edmontons or Crosby is Pittsburgh's.  But none can do it alone.

There is a certain amount of reliance that has to come with that contract and superstar status though.

I think it’s a good thing that anything can happen when Price is in net... 🙂

PS: Habsfan = Metallica? Similar style at least. 

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

All of these threads are basically the same thing. I dislike Bergevin too, but there's too many of these threads being started 

Its not dis liking management , its saying Price gets a lot of heat on him by fans and management at times, because  management trys  to hide their weakness behind Price.  They just can't sit on one player hoping that they alone can win you a cup. 

Edited by Habsfan89

9 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

My god I didn't realize how sensitive people are about management in here.

At what point did I say i dis like management? I made this topic because in the leaf/habs game day people were ripping on Price on the goals scored on him. Just wanted to point out its all not on him.

All I am saying is management needs to do more. That's not hating on them. And no I am no Metallica.  But hey think what you want.

Edited by Habsfan89

Until MB gets off his arse and does his job (i.e., fills the glaring hole at LD) such threads will keep popping up.

That said, even if the Habs were a top team, we would probably still see complaints to the effect that (1) Price is not living up to his rep and (2) that the Habs are too dependent upon him.

I'm old enough to remember the exact same claims being made about Patrick Roy. Even after 1993. 

21 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

One thing I hate hearing is

AS Long as Price is on top of his game,

anything can happen.

We need him to be a wall every game in order to have a chance to win. When he isn't you can really see our weaknesses.  I think this is a big reason management doesn't address our team weaknesses.  They rely on Price being a wall way to much. Our Defence has been a issue for the last 3 years yet it hasn't been upgraded. We see the struggles when we're on the PK.  We need to give Price some support in front of him.  

I think we have the scoring to compete with anyone, if we only fix our defence we can be a playoff team. We're just too soft on D.

Of course when you super star 10.5 millon dollar goalie is on his game anything can happen.

This has not been the case more often then not over say 2 plus seasons.

he was the worst goalie in the league 2 seasons ago by far, and I was very, very concerned at the start of last season and those concerns carried through October and November. Now dont get me wrong, he took a week off last year and from December on he was arguably the best goalie in the league. Problem was it was too little too late.

Now, Im not asking for shutouts night in night by any stretch of the imagination. What I'm asking is consistency we seen only flashes of. We need is Price of the 2nd half of the season LY for all year long.

Again if we can hold Drouin to account for his play to end last year as an example why cant we hold Price to account as well. In fact, he should be held more accountable as he is not only our superstar but a non letter bearing captain. If he isn't performing the team isn't going anywhere (which can be said of most teams and their star player)

With that said, he settled down half way through the 2nd in the leafs game but that was only after 6 bad periods in a row of pretty much giving up a goal every 5 shots. Something he's done frequently in the recent past. My concern was his anticipation of play being off as well as being beat clean on shots. I think those concerns were merited recently due to his 175 game body of work.

im not to worried about him today but with all the pressure put on the D... they've settled down in recent games with shots on goal coming down drastically as well as high danger chances.

With the PK being abysmal,  a hot goalie can really go along way to repairing the confidence of a leaky PK

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Until MB gets off his arse and does his job (i.e., fills the glaring hole at LD) such threads will keep popping up.

That said, even if the Habs were a top team, we would probably still see complaints to the effect that (1) Price is not living up to his rep and (2) that the Habs are too dependent upon him.

I'm old enough to remember the exact same claims being made about Patrick Roy. Even after 1993. 

Roy never got anything close to the vote of non confidence Price gets. Not even  1/10th of it. So not quite sure what your saying here but it definitely is not accurate. And rightfully so. He won multiple cups with multiple teams and never went on a  season plus+ long stretch as the worst starter in hockey as Price has recently Again, Price finished off last year very impressively he was great from mid December on. But Im shocked that anyone wasnt super concerned in November when he was continuing the horrendous and disastrous season from year prior.

What his performance in net has to do with MB boggles the mine. The same people so quick to hold Drouin accountable, or speak of Weber's "imminent downfall" are the same to deflect any accountability to our super star goaltender...

Every team has weaknesses. Our weakness should NEVER be goaltending!

8 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Roy never got anything close to the vote of non confidence Price gets. Not even  1/10th of it. So not quite sure what your saying here but it definitely is not accurate. And rightfully so. He won multiple cups with multiple teams and never went on a  season plus+ long stretch as the worst starter in hockey as Price has recently Again, Price finished off last year very impressively he was great from mid December on. But Im shocked that anyone wasnt super concerned in November when he was continuing the horrendous and disastrous season from year prior.

What his performance in net has to do with MB boggles the mine. The same people so quick to hold Drouin accountable, or speak of Weber's "imminent downfall" are the same to deflect any accountability to our super star goaltender...

Every team has weaknesses. Our weakness should NEVER be goaltending!

I am say its not all on price. You need to look at defensive break downs which is on coaching system and also the talent that's playing in front of Price Which is on gm.

The D is soft and can't box out players which lead to open slot goals.

Are we just ripping him at times because of his 10mil contract?  Or are people ripping him because he deserves to be?

You can't always look at the fact he let in 4 or 5 goals, you have to look at how they were scored on him. Before you can say it's all on him.

Its a little of everything to be honest. You just can't rip on person.

11 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Yes every poster who is not happy with management or the play of players are all the same people.  

wgile everyone drinking the koolaid thinking we are a player away from the playoff and hey anything can happen in the playoffs (just look at the blues!!) , it Price is a hot streak away from winning the Hart again are unique individuals with unique ideas.

Fact is this team has lots of flaws.  It’s two best and highest players are counted on to do too much and are past their prime.

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

My god I didn't realize how sensitive people are about management in here.

At what point did I say i dis like management? I made this topic because in the leaf/habs game day people were ripping on Price on the goals scored on him. Just wanted to point out its all not on him.

All I am saying is management needs to do more. That's not hating on them. And no I am no Metallica.  But hey think what you want.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes every poster who is not happy with management or the play of players are all the same people.  

wgile everyone drinking the koolaid thinking we are a player away from the playoff and hey anything can happen in the playoffs (just look at the blues!!) , it Price is a hot streak away from winning the Hart again are unique individuals with unique ideas.

Fact is this team has lots of flaws.  It’s two best and highest players are counted on to do too much and are past their prime.

I think many who dislike management are the ones who are overly sensitive because I am not even a Bergevin fan and somehow out of my post, I’m being told I am sensitive about defending management. When I think about the Canadiens, I think to myself “The Habs should go after so and so”... On the other hand, those who dwell on management start off by thinking “Bergevin this, Bergevin that”. When the Habs miss the playoffs, I think to myself: “The Habs should have done more at the deadline”. Others think to themselves “Bergevin”. There is a different line of thought and one is more sensitive than the other. 

All I was insinuating is that Metallica and Habsfan post in very similar fashion, all the way up to the “???” In the thread title which also happens to be about Price and management. It doesn’t matter to me because it was also a joke.

I would like to know where someone has said that anything can happen with Price in net in the past few years prior to my sardonic post, because if anything, Price has had to be better than he’s played for the majority of the period since he had that fantastic year in 2017. There have been stretches where our team could have performed better if he were up to par. Less so the other way around. 

It’s somewhat delusional for anyone to think that Price is the reason we can win a cup

because he’s never stolen a playoffs in his career. He has gotten better over his career In the playoffs, and an injury versus New York got the best of him in what may have been the season he changed perspective, but he has been far from an outstanding playoff goaltender over his career.

What bothers me is when people say we should move Price because he’s holding management back from filling our holes. No, without Price, we will have created a large hole, and likely still have other holes all over the place. Everyone knows we need a top 4 handed left handed defenseman, including Bergevin, and that’s with or without Price in net. We can all feel safe now because everyone hates Bergevin for not addressing that need. 

Metallica had this topic covered a few years ago when he posted: 

Posted April 10, 2018

Price  will never win a cup here in Montreal  as long as management has the attitude that as long as Price is super human we don't need to give him any support because he can win us games by himself.

And fans need to stop thinking that as long as we have Price we don't need anyone else. HE NEEDS HELP, HE CAN'T DO IT ALL ALONE.  Everyone needs to weak up other wise we're just wasting Price's good years.

Habsfan89’s first post:

Hi all even though this is my first post I always look in and read some post from time to time. Thought I would finally sign up.

Metallica’s first post:

Hi all whats up long time reader habs fan since 86’ thought I would sign up and start posting.

———

The “Hi all” without a comma in both posts is very common and is probably just a coincidence. As is the fact you were both long time readers who decided to sign up and start posting. It happens all the time. That’s how we all got started here after all. I’m not saying you’re the same person, but you MUST be brothers. Maybe one became a Habs fan in 86 and the other in 89?

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Metallica had this topic covered a few years ago when he posted: 

Posted April 10, 2018

Price  will never win a cup here in Montreal  as long as management has the attitude that as long as Price is super human we don't need to give him any support because he can win us games by himself.

And fans need to stop thinking that as long as we have Price we don't need anyone else. HE NEEDS HELP, HE CAN'T DO IT ALL ALONE.  Everyone needs to weak up other wise we're just wasting Price's good years.

Habsfan89’s first post:

Hi all even though this is my first post I always look in and read some post from time to time. Thought I would finally sign up.

Metallica’s first post:

Hi all whats up long time reader habs fan since 86’ thought I would sign up and start posting.

———

The “Hi all” without a comma in both posts is very common and is probably just a coincidence. As is the fact you were both long time readers who decided to sign up and start posting. It happens all the time. That’s how we all got started here after all. I’m not saying you’re the same person, but you MUST be brothers. Maybe one became a Habs fan in 86 and the other in 89?

Watch out now  everyone on this forum who's been a habs fan since 86" you all could be Metallica. Because their can't be no such thing as multiple  fans in the same year. You better go look up everyone's post and try and match them up just in case you missed something.

Wow someone seems like they got a hard on for Metallica. I never said we should trade Price. I am just saying we need to get him help. Also a lot of the heat he takes is not all on him, but people put it on him because of his contract. 

What ever hard on you have for Metallica that's your problem not mine

Edited by Habsfan89

As far as I’m concerned Metallica is just another poster with an opinion. I would like to see him join in on the conversation though and tell us what he thinks about his brother. 

I guess I was wrong about you becoming Habs fans in different years though because Metallica said this just the other day:

Metallica:

“I know been a fan since 89 but if I see something bad i call it and say something. I don't see this team getting into the playoffs with this D.”

—-

Just another thing in common; You’ve both been Habs fans since ‘89. 🙂 He doesn’t like the D either.

10 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

As far as I’m concerned Metallica is just another poster with an opinion. I would like to see him join in on the conversation though and tell us what he thinks about his brother. 

I guess I was wrong about you becoming Habs fans in different years though because Metallica said this just the other day:

Metallica:

“I know been a fan since 89 but if I see something bad i call it and say something. I don't see this team getting into the playoffs with this D.”

—-

Just another thing in common; You’ve both been Habs fans since ‘89. 🙂 He doesn’t like the D either.

Once again this post was made because I seen people blame price for goals. But if you look at them their not all on him.

Everyone and their mother knows our D isn't good so just because he hates In your eyes  no one else can  make a comment on it or else a stalker like you thinks their the same person. Wow buddy he really must of pushed your buttons to make you paranoid about him.

This is a former where habs fans voice their opinions about the team its not uncommon people have some same .

I am not saying the D is trash , but to make a push for the playoffs or even a run in the playoffs it needs upgrades.