Elkund says Price was picked to then trade him

Habs77

Elkund mentions Price was taken to be part of a trade, but the trade either fell through or just hasn't happened yet.

Later he mentions he's been hearing Bertuzzi to Montreal rumors.

Put the two together and you have the Habs trading Price and who knows what for Bertuzzi... if that were to happen I know a lot of us would be able to understand what happened today a little better ;)

P.S. So far Elkund has mentionned that Kariya, Modano, Foote, Aucoin, Turgeon were all fair to strong possibilities of ending up in MTL.

take it for what it's worth

So what exactly is happening right now?

When the lockout ended we entered the period to qualify your own players, and basically get your own house in order. But something happened on the way to the draft. And to try and follow it requires a couple drinks and a degree in Psych. First off, we all anticipated great amounts of buy-outs that never came. And the ones that did come came very late in the game. Only the Flyers apparently cared enough about their players (LeClair and Amonte) to give them the most time they could to prepare for a new home.

That would be odd enough, but not nearly as odd as when you consider the number of RFA players that are not qualified yet. I have had players calling me all day today asking me "What are you hearing about me? The team won't even give me a clue." Agents are being put in the spot, while trying to calm confused players, unaware of whether or not they are going to be qualified. It really is insane how little actually happened in this week that passed. When you consider the teams had months to prepare for this. One source said this, "They can't use the excuse they didn't know the CBA. It has been give or take a few million for months." Another agent went as far to say, "I think the atmosphere is completely confused and several of these GMS are (in over their heads)." On player added, "It almost feels like payback for the lockout. We have called and said, 'cut us loose for crying out loud.' and they say, 'we'll call you' or if we're lucky 'we really don't know what we are doing yet.' "

Now sure, it is your responsibility as a GM to see what is out ther to improve your team, but one agent said this, "everyone is getting Khabibulin and Neidermayer. so everyone is hedging. problem is that those guys are only going to one team and likely not even moving to a new team. so what you will have is all these unqualified free agents and teams are all thinking they will just be able to get them back. not so fast." And the guys who are getting qualified are being asked to take less money. The common mantra being revenues will be less next year. "If you take your qualifier you have to give them a couple more years." an agent added.

While I wrote this article another player, arguably one of the best at his position, instant messaged me claiming he has yet to talk to anyone from the team he played for. He said he gets the impression that the team "doesn't have a clue which way is up."

That brings us to today and the draft. Bobby Ryan, a great player, but the #2 pick was picked by a team dying for young defensive help? Jack Johnson was on the board...you knew he would be for ever. And Burke goes on TSN and claims to have only seen films of Ryan. Granted he is trusting his scouts, and the Ducks have great ones, but this is the #2 pick. This is not a 6th round guy. Ryan is a top 7 guy by all accounts, and a great fit for the Wild at 4, but the Canaucks makes absolutely no sense. Unless....he is going for the "win now" score and he really felt he could get Gagne or Handzus plus Seidenberg from Philly. They really want Ryan. That would make a bunch of sense...but now, he is saying the offer is way too low...he has painted himself into a corner and Clarke may be able to get Ryan for less...Just speculation.

<b>Then Montreal...skipping past an amazing French Canadian kid in Gilbert Brule( a guy I thought would be off the board by Montreal) and snagging Price, a great goalie prospect, but the Habs have goalies for years to come. Then I talked to a source who said Montreal was told to pick up Price to move him as a part of a trade...but that trade never happened..at least not yet. </b>

That brings us to the Blues. A team who qualified TOO many people. Chris Pronger sweepstakes are still ongoing at this hour according to my source, but the Blues need to move him today to get the most for him. Then we hear rumors that Forsberg and Foote are coming back to Colorado, but young studs Hedjuk and Tanguay aren't? Naslund must be going to Colorado to make any sense of that one. Forsberg is amazing, a real favorite of yours truly, but he is an injury risk. Tanguay and Hedjuk are young All-Stars. I will following the dirt on those two in the coming week, I promise...Even a rumor surfaced that Sundin might be getting moved today leaving one agent to say to me, "Maybe the CBA has them drunk still." <b>And Bertuzzi to the Canadiens? That is a hot one tonight...</b>How about Demitra to the Oilers?

Another source predicted the following, "What you are looking at is a canvas and everyone is afraid to paint the first stroke. Once someone does you will see so many moves your head will spin. The problem is to make this work you need to target guys...but they are all targeting the same guys, and if they try and wait each other out too long there will be teams that will implode. Some of these GMs can handle assembling a team in 48 hours, but some can't."

So here we are. With everyone thinking they will be able to put together teams from almost scratch. What a week we have coming up. I really don't think the guys that aren't qualified will just sit around and wait for the calls welcoming them back for less...

I Just read that online too. But I cant see Modano in Montreal. Sure he is big and Gainey did coach and Gm him in Dallas. But that doesnt mean that Gainey has to pick him up now. I like the Aucoin choice for a defencman because of his shot as most people have pointed out on here. Beteween him and Souray the Habs could potentially have a good one two punch for the power plays. I am not sure about the Bertuzzi rumors. WHy would Gainey pull a trade for Bertuzzi???? There has to be someone else in the cards other than him.

I can see Turegeon coming back to Montreal. Especially with the way he was exited by Houle in this town.

As for Foote I think he will remain on the west Coast.

Of course all this is JMO. Who knows what will happen on Monday. But it sure is exciting to finally be talking hockey again.

my idea i dont think gainy will be looking for bertuzzi, no offense to the player but it is taking a risk on him also for the amount of money he is unstable and can cause stupid penalties in tight spots...and for trades or something acouin i see coming to mtl looks like the type of player that is familiar with the style of defense mtl plays as for a forward if price is part of a trade i highly doubt it goin to pitsburg lol cuz of flury but maybe might be goin to carolina....for jhonson,becasue carolina doesnt have a goalie :-^ and weeks signed with the rangers and i think khabibulin will not to go carolina but wit the amount of goalies out there in free agency i rahter stay with price as a starter lol. so i can see that happen jhonson is just phenominal hes got everything and maybe for forward mtl will stick with kovalev and i would say trade rebiero for something good, or give him one more season to see how he progresses because he had one good season who said he will pull it off again but my bet is kovalev and bring in either kostsitin or pherezhogan mostly pherezhogan because of the more experiance and who is the person that wrote that artcle.tnx:ghg::hlogo::can:

Does this Eklund dude even have any credibility? Sounds like he's just spewing shit out of his mouth and is calling them rumours. By the way is this Pelle Eklund that played for Philly?

Just a quick note, don't take this the wrong way koivu-11 but MAKE SOME FREAKIN' SENTENCES! Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading everyone's post and opinions but your just all over the place and I need to take a really really deep breath when I'm reading your posts ;)

Just read this about Kovalev:

From Eric Bowser, "According to a team source, Kovalev has made it known through backdoor

channels to the Penguins, he will indeed accept their multi-year contract from last summer offered prior to the lockout. Penguins are also targeting Alexei Zhamnov, Adrian Aucoin, Mike Rathje, and if Tie Domi decides to leave Toronto, they would like to have the veteran enforcer as protection for Crosby and Malkin.GM Craig Patrick would like to have Scott Niedermayer but his asking price of $7 million is more than the Penguins want to spend on any player and there is strong indications the defenseman will look at Anaheim because he wants to play with his player but if it doesn't work out, he would look at Vancouver if their cap situation plays outor return to New Jersey."

I am stll hearing that Kovalev wants to remain in Montreal as of lat night, so we will see.

what was last season's kovalev offer? Is it one that would be repeated in the new economy. 99% of all this kind of chatter is absolutely worthless (although I read it all too...) and doesn't really inform on how the future will work out.

I really want kovalev back for the coming season but my tears will be few if he leaves (although the penguins are actually starting to scare me a bit....)

Your best bet is to completly ignore all these Kovalev rumors. It's a simple waiting game and the only thing left to do is to wait for which team he will sign when the free agency period begins tomorow.

Don't forget, these reports of him signing to Pittsburgh and in Montreal have been on-going for quite sometime now. Hell, I remember when Sportsnet did a team report on the Habs and said that Kovalev was a likely deal to happen and then they said the same thing about him going to the Pens.

Nothing but speculations and rumors. Like I said, just wait and see.

Most rumors are put out by agents in order to trick teams into paying too much for a player. If he says Pitt is really interested, he hopes that makes Montreal want to offer more. 99% of rumors are just that.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Most rumors are put out by agents in order to trick teams into paying too much for a player. If he says Pitt is really interested, he hopes that makes Montreal want to offer more. 99% of rumors are just that.

Right on the money Fanpuck :D

Originally posted by Habs77

Elkund mentions Price was taken to be part of a trade, but the trade either fell through or just hasn't happened yet.

Later he mentions he's been hearing Bertuzzi to Montreal rumors.

Put the two together and you have the Habs trading Price and who knows what for Bertuzzi... if that were to happen I know a lot of us would be able to understand what happened today a little better ;)

That is unadulterated crap. I live in Vancouver, and would disown the Habs if they traded for that surly, steroid ridden, braindead piece of *, Bertuzzi. He is even less likable than Patrick Roy, for a lot of the same reasons.

If the NHL had proper drug testing procedures, Roy, Bertuzzi, Brashear, Ed Belfour, and a few others would be convicts instead of multi millionaires.

Roy and Belfour on drugs? Belfour sounds like he likes alcohol a little too much, and Roy isn't exactly the best characted guy, but drugs? I don't think so.

Brashear on steroids? Possibly, but he's a big guy already.

Bertuzzi? The man made a mistake, but drugs?

Dave Morisette said on On The Record that people do use steroids in the NHL but it isn't even a major issue as compared to the drugs player use for pain related problems and for giving them an energy boost.

Mind you, steroids also help muscle tissue heal faster but that has to be prescribed in order for it to be used for that purpose.

I don't know if anyone remembers Roy when he first came up, but he looked like some nerd in a comic book shop, and wouldn't say * if his mouth was full of it. A couple years down the road and he is looking like the Hulk and acting about the same way. Same with Belfour.

They had all the symptoms, bad compexion, bad attitude, hair loss, blood shot eyes, uncontrolled agression....

Whoa! Hold it.

NHL has not had a proper test system but with the new agreement things will change. Im sure that there has been steroid in the leauge but to accuse player without knowledge is low.

Believe what you want but keep it to speculation and not accusations.

That is a hilarious rumour! :lol:

I can't see Gainey wasting his time on a move like this, as every prospect [even Crosby] has a chance of never playing in the NHL. What Gainey said to the TSN announcer after the Price pick was made is what I believe was the truth, that they picked the best player available. With the new CBA in place, it's even more important to have as many good prospects, not just players drafted based on the team's current needs, around as possible.