The Defencemen situation

ch_nl

Last time we saw some NHL action the Montreal Canadiens had the following defencemen.

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Ron Hainsey

Andrei Markov

Mike Komisarek

Craig Rivet

Sheldon Souray

Some may say it's weak and other say they're underrated. I think there's truth in both.

Let the speculations begin and what's the opinion on our blueliners?

Here's mine:

Francis Bouillon - Did well in Sweden was one of the key players in Leksands IFs return to Elitserien. I think he deserves to be the sixth defenceman. Give him a whole season in the third pairings.

Patrice Brisebois - Resign! Remember how he stopped making dumb things and played smart. Sign him for what he's worth.

Ron Hainsey - No more. Give him the chance at camp but if he doesn't step up like Ribeiro did a couple of years ago I don't think he will make it. In my opinion Ron Hainsey not developing has been a problem for the team. We expected a top defenceman but still we haven't seen him.

Andrei Markov - Please stay. Don't let the Russian oil-money fool you. The best hockey is in Canada.

Mike Komisarek - Let him be the seventh. There will be injuries and times when Boullion are down.

Craig Rivet - Overpaid. But a leader. And we're stucked with him. Third pairing.

Sheldon Souray - Our best defenceman. But I would like to see him on the second pairings.

Bring a first paring defenceman. I would like and offensive minded.

no big deal, but i seem to remember quintal...

I hope that Komisarek is ready for a regular pairing. I like Boullion on the ice, but he is sorta the prototypical 7th defenseman

[Edited on 8/1/2005 by simonus]

Not that I am a pro or anything but this is how I see our D lining up this year.

Left Right

1. Souray Aucoin (25 mins/game)

2. Markov Rivet (20 mins/game)

3. Boullion Komisarek (15 mins/game)

Could sub Hainsey in for Frankie if he has progressed enough.

#2 - Has already proven they are a top notch tandem when they are on and very strong for a second pairing.

#1 - 2 strong players but who knows how they will adapt to eachother. Just as important as individual skill in a D-pairing is how well they can work together. Only time will tell.

#3 - Be patient and let them grow because that could very well be our future #1 in the not too distant future. Don't throw them to the wolves just yet. It will take time for both of them to develope.

Just my thoughts. Regardless, it will be exciting whichever FA defenseman we do sign. Can't wait for October.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg::ghg:

Bouillon - Love the guy, plays bigger than his frame, doesn't get pushed around, jumps into the rush and is going to cost about $450,000.

Brisebois - I agree, re-sign him for less, had a pretty good year after BG stood up for him.

Komisarek - Ready. Made huge improvements during the last season and during the playoffs I couldn't wait for him to get on the ice. I bet Thornton is still feeling that hit!

Rivet - Good hard nosed player is stuck with us 'till his contract is up. Wouldn't mind better value for the money but.....

Markov - Our best puck moving defenceman. Gets pushed around in the east which is why he should be paired with Souray or Komisarek.

Hainsey - Don't give up on him just yet, D-men take a little longer and the Devils gave up on one too early....

Souray - complete package. But I cringe every time him throws a punch with that bionic wrist.

I don't think the defence looks that bad but would love to see Aucoin come.