UFA SEASON (Selänne to Anaheim)

puck7x

(At noon est today)

Does anyone expect a rush of signings? I doubt it will happen today, but it could... Anything could happen. Its an exciting time to be a fan, never before have so many UFA's been available at once.

UFA LIST: http://habsworld.net/article.php?id=812

Streamers Preview: http://habsworld.net/article.php?id=833

:ghg:

[Edited on 23-8-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, in case you hadnt heard... Zubov re-signed with Dallas right before the deadline. So we can cross him off our list (if he was ever on it)

Names that keep coming up in habs rumours: Adam Foote, Adrian Aucoin, Paul Kariya, Alex Kovalev

Lets see what happens. I bet Gainey has some surprises in store for us, he'll probably sign a player or two nobody expects (hopefully not some bottom liner, lol).

Article on Aucoin's future: http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?2460 </a>

Aucoin has declined a four-year contract offer worth about $13 million that would have kept him on Long Island until he was 35.
Aucoin, who owns a home in Garden City, says he wants to keep his family on Long Island but can't deny himself the chance to determine his value on the open market. The Montreal Canadiens are believed to have strong interest, along with Philadelphia and Atlanta.

Are you willing to offer Aucoin a deal better then 4 years at 13 million? (3.25 per year) ... Keep in mind Souray makes 2.1 million, and Rivet 2.3 (they made more prior to the rollback of course)

[Edited on 2005-8-1 by puck7x]

But also remember, in NY he had to compete with Niinimaa, Hamrlik and Jonsson for top ice time. In Montreal he'd have only Souray and Markov.

If he can be as solid as he has been before, $7 million over two years is fine with me. Sure, it means we can't resign Breezer, but Hainsey or Bouillion can be no. 6

Aucoin, Souray, Markov, Rivet, Komisarek, Hainsey.

I like, I like!

Originally posted by TheAussiePosse

But also remember, in NY he had to compete with Niinimaa, Hamrlik and Jonsson for top ice time. In Montreal he'd have only Souray and Markov.

If he can be as solid as he has been before, $7 million over two years is fine with me. Sure, it means we can't resign Breezer, but Hainsey or Bouillion can be no. 6

Aucoin, Souray, Markov, Rivet, Komisarek, Hainsey.

I like, I like!

In Montreal he'd get top line icetime because he's a right-D , he's probably play with Souray on the top pairing.

And Brisebois isnt going to re-sign with us anyways, he's said so himself in an interview with RDS. So unless he changes his mind, he's done with us.

I think 3.5 per year is a bit much for Aucoin, especially when Lecavalier could be a UFA next summer. Hmmm Aucoin now or Lecavalier in one year... tough choice... NOT! Go Vinny! you've got to think ahead to next year when all the big prizes are available (Pronger, Thornton, Lecavalier, Iginla)

If we're going to give out big contracts then they better be short term, if we're giving out long-term contracts it better be for a low average salary.

[Edited on 2005-8-1 by puck7x]

It's been over an hour, and so-far no signings have taken place. I wonder if it will be like this all day... :?-

Common, we want action!... someone get the show started!!! :king:

If a team like Ottawa, Tampa Bay or another one with a high payroll figure that don't have a key RFA signed, would anyone consider the Habs signing him to an offer sheet.

Ex: Let's say its mid-August and Marian Hossa still isn't signed, and Ottawa wants to sign him to a 5 mil a year contract, and has their payroll already at 32m..would you like it if the habs offered him a contract worth let's say 6.5m a year...ottawa wouldn't be able to match it (assuming they dont free up cap space with a trade within the week in which they have to match)?

It would mean Montreal giving up their next 4 first round picks..but for a guy like hossa...the same situation can be asked for Lecavalier...

WIth the lower UFA age and cap limitations, you might see more of the top tier RFA get more attention espeically the year before they are due for UFA status.

RDS.com says that Mathieu Dandeneault and the Canadiens are interested in each other. Hmmm... Not a top end player but is a good team player.

Originally posted by shortcat1

RDS.com says that Mathieu Dandeneault and the Canadiens are interested in each other. Hmmm... Not a top end player but is a good team player.

I hope the Habs can do better than Dandy, unless they seem him as a 3rd pair guy.

Can't help but think that whatever this deal is, it will set a standard for the rest of (at least) defensemen signings.

EDIT: Looks like Sportnet is on the ball today. TSN hasn't got the big stuff out very fast. Wonder if there's a reason for this. :eyes:

[Edited on 2/8/05 by Macaskill]

Columbus could surprise some people I think. Even with Foote, they still need help on D, but they surely won't have trouble scoring.

They will be a very young team though. Doug MacLean has said 8-10 players 24 and younger are likely to make the team.