If Kovalev goes to Pittsburgh

Pycalusus

he wants to play with Forsberg.. thats the problem. We cant sign both but they say in swedish newspapers that the penguins are interested in signing both these... maybe that means for less than the max money.

Originally posted by Dalhabs

he wants to play with Forsberg.. thats the problem. We cant sign both but they say in swedish newspapers that the penguins are interested in signing both these... maybe that means for less than the max money.

*lol* It seems like Pittsburgh wants to sign everyone ...

I'd be very happy with Murray coming even if Kovalev came back too. I know its a bit of a reach but if we could get both under the cap it would be awesome because we would have Kovy back and add a talented big guy in Murray

Eklund's latest...

"Mario making a huge push for Forsberg. Kovalev will be a Pen.

Rafalski has a deal on the table for over 4 a year. Niewendyke and

Roberts to FLA. Nathan Horton may be involved in Fla Thornton

Deal...Neidermayer to Vancouver "not certain at all."

-- "

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

I voted for satan but allison is more likely

Cool, I'm not alone :D

Allison is a Big Right handed center *wink wink*

He'd be somewhat cheap because teams are afraid to sign him... and he said anyway that $ doesn't matter anymore (but that could put him a foot in the door in TO)

Then trade our Beloved Fresh Prince for the rights to pronger (i'm dreaming)... seriously, in some package for a quality dman if we can't sign any on the market.

Other.

LeClair. One year deal. Some muscle needed and having LeCavalier in mind. Toronto and Boston has allready added muscle.

But don't sign him for more than he's worth. Spend some money on a defenceman.

Just a reminder The Maple Leafs lost two players today. Newendyk and Roberts to free agency. This should be really interesting. They now have to fill the voids left. With those two players in the line up they were a better team... It all depends on whom they get to replace their leadership. With this in mind I like the chances that the Habs have regarding playing the leafs.

The Habs need one Center and two D men both with grit and muscle would be nice to see in a lineup. Satan would be a nice fit at right with his 6.1 size. I read on another forum that Modano might be considered as well this because of Gainey's connection to dallas. This would not be a suprise either.

I'm going to take an opposing position here and not to play the devil's advocate either.

The only FA we should go for is Kovalev. The reason being that he's already been a part of the team and has definitely shown that he CAN play in Julien's system with Koivu and Zednik. There's no risk there. If he doesn't accept Gainey's offers then the Canadiens should refrain from getting into the FA chase for this year.

As to the other positions, regardless of the Kovalev outcome, we should bring in our own prospects (Hainsey & Streit) and help them grow into Julien's system. It will likely not be the best way to become super competitive this year but there are mid and long-term benefits to this approach.

The reason for this is, as Gainey alluded, finances should be kept for the FAs which will be available next year - that way the team won't be as cash strapped in that event.

:ghg:

Originally posted by shortcat1

I'm going to take an opposing position here and not to play the devil's advocate either.

The only FA we should go for is Kovalev. The reason being that he's already been a part of the team and has definitely shown that he CAN play in Julien's system with Koivu and Zednik. There's no risk there. If he doesn't accept Gainey's offers then the Canadiens should refrain from getting into the FA chase for this year.

As to the other positions, regardless of the Kovalev outcome, we should bring in our own prospects (Hainsey & Streit) and help them grow into Julien's system. It will likely not be the best way to become super competitive this year but there are mid and long-term benefits to this approach.

The reason for this is, as Gainey alluded, finances should be kept for the FAs which will be available next year - that way the team won't be as cash strapped in that event.

:ghg:

all the Kovalev rumours are pissing me off. He wants to play here, no he wants to go to pittsburg.....:wall:

I think the young guys will do well under CJ, they did in Hamilton.

If the Habs do save their cash for next year, I wouldn't be too dissapointed. There seems to be a lot of RFAs that want to sign a one year contract so they can be UFAs next year. If Vinny is in the picture, I can wait.