Pierre McGuire

Leafs Suck

He works for TSN so I am sure only the Canadian posters have heard of him, but does anyone else find this guy to be a major jerk?

What he said about the Habs pick of Price on the weekend was disgusting. Price is half-Native and McGuire said "they went right off the reservation".

He is constantly ripping the Habs. He never critized the Sharks or Caps for their picks (both picked guys who weren't even projected in the first round) yet Price goes from 7 to 5 and it is a terrible move?

Must be some bitter Nordiques fan or something.

"they went right off the reservation".

Wow i didnt hear that, that is quite disgusting.

I think that i heard somewhere that Mcguire is actually a Habs fan, maybe i'm wrong though.

Anyway, the only person i pay attention to at TSN is Bob Mackenzie, the rest of them are all leaf-loving morons. Healy is probably my least favourite of them all.

I dont mind their play by play guys, Gord Miller is solid and Chris Cuthbert is possibly my favourite announcer in all of sports.

I'm not concerned about his comments with regards to the Canadiens and Price. Each to his own opinions.

As to being a jerk, I don't know but I can honestly say that I have often found him to be irritating when he was part of the panel discussions. The others would talk and he would scream his comments, especially when making comments on a video clip - maybe some sort of Foxism or hyper-hype that takes place on a number of US sports presentations.

I sent an email to TSN once asking them if it was necessary that Pierre shout his commentaries. I don't imagine that there was a direct connection but he was actually a calm commentator for a while after that.

He seems to have a reliability factor because he was once an NHL coach with the Hartford Whalers but, nevertheless, for me, he still rattles me.

I liked him when he did color for the Habs on CJAD. What I saw of his comments on TSN(a brief clip on the website) indicated he thought the Habs should have went for a forward or D-man... which seemed to be the initial reaction of almost everyone here and in the media.

Amen.

i have never liked pierre mcguire. i live in ottawa and he is frequently on the team 1200 here. the way he talks, it seems as though he thinks he invented the game. he loves to take credit for the penguins success of the early 90's (he was briefly an assistant coach for the pens) "when i was coaching mario with scotty..blah blah blah"

for those of you who think he is a habs fan because he used to be on cjad, think again. he never misses an opportunity to bash them on the team 1200. ( im sure he doesn't do that on the team 990 though, that's not his style).

he is the biggest phony ever to be involved in the game. for example, just before a playoff series between the leafs and sens, he predicted on the team 1200 that the sens would win. then he promptly went on to predict on tsn that the leafs would win. :?- wtf??

anyways, i don't want to get into a rant or anything ;) but suffice it to say that i really hate pierre mcguire.

That's an interesting post. Looks like Pierre is a two-faced douche bag.

The one MAJOR thing I hate about him is during the World Junior Championship every year. He praises team Canada like a little school girl for any little thing. I understand he loves the tournament but he should tone it down a bit, he sounds like the freakin' team cheerleader.

edit: typo

[Edited on 2005/8/9 by Tony]

I've spent alot of time travelling the 401 between Montreal and Toronto. In the same day, I'd hear McGuire do radio spots in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. What happens is he tends to tailor his comments to each market. I imagine he gets paid by each station, so he's got to try to please everyone. I've also heard that he might have a little resentment towards the Habs because he applied for jobs with the team in the past, with no success. Having said that, he's a proud Montrealer, grew up a Habs fan, and wants the team to win, and continue to be the worlds most famous hockey team.

I remember emailing both Mcguire & Sisto in the last 90's when they were broadcasting the Habs games on CJAD. Back then, their Internet radio feeds were free. I told Mcguire that his colour comments were often too lengthy, since the play would continue while he rattled on; I could tell because the noise level of the crowd would rise while Pierre continued to harp on a play, and I would be screaming at Mcguire to shut up! :mad: He cut off Sisto too often, which was also frustrating. For a guy that was "learning on the job" he didn't take critcism well as I never got a reply back from him. Dino Sisto replied to me and agreed with my comments.

Anyways, I don't believe that Mcguire had any idea that Price was from native decent. It was just an example of Pierre's colourful comments [no pun intended by me either], and he did apologize about it in an article a day or two later. That said, I enjoy listening to Mcguire now, because as a TSN analyst he can talk about key points to a game during the intermissions, when there's a sufficient amount of time for him to talk.

I never really noticed anything wrong about him but - whoever said it - Bob McKenzie is my favourite TSN analyst. But they really favour Toronto and even Ottawa over Montreal.

I'll never forget the night when I'm on my computer talking to some Habs fans and we're all happy about our playoffs spot when I open my firefox web browser and see a headline saying something like "Habs get Kovalev". So I'm jumping like a moron all happy and tell my buddies online.

So I see it's almost 10 o'clock and figure "nice time to see RDS, TSN and Sportsnet cover this HUGE acquisition for the Habs".

If I remember right Sport 30 didn't air on RDS so I tuned onto Sportsnet who talked about the trade, which I will admit was a surprise. Just like TSN, their Toronto fanboys too except a little less more biased to other Canadian teams and they actually said it was a good trade. Eager to see what TSN's so called expert pannel had to say I turn on Sportscenter. You know what happend? NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. All I heard was whoever was hosting the show saying "and in hockey news the Montreal Canadiens acquired Alexei Kovalev from the New York Rangers in exchange of forward Josef Balej and their second round pick in the 2004 entry draft".

I was so insulted as a Habs fan that night. Bob McKenzie covered ANY LITTLE news at the time in his "Hockey Insider" segment since it was almost playoffs. No news from the Kovalev trade was ever analyzed. Of course, a few days later, the Leafs land Leetch. Of course this moron McKenzie then went on covering this trade and kissing the Leafs ass on all sides and places. If things couldn't get any worse he talked about this damn trade for like almost a week.

Leafs land Leetch? Hmmm.... I don't remember that.

Anyway, Bob MacKenzie is biased like the others but atleast he knows his hockey.