Nov. 5, Boston vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

tomh009

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

This and the Danault line worked brilliantly.  I havent looked up the 5v5 advanced stats tonight but my feeling is that the danault line won their matchup against Bergeron and it wasnt particularly close (other than on faceoffs)

Well if Chiarot is the answer to finding Weber's ideal partner, then the offseason was a rousing success. 

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

Price got the win, so that means he played great, right?

😅😂

The Chiarot-Weber pairing is an intriguing, Back to the Future concept. I suspect it will not be sustainable because really fast teams will feast on its mangled corpse - and also Chiarot looks like the kind of guy who will be 'exposed' by top-pairing minutes. But I really like the Petry-Mete combo, and you have to hand it to Julien - he identified that the B's killer line is not super speedy and that it could be contained by two 'heavy' d-men. The man can coach.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😅😂

The Chiarot-Weber pairing is an intriguing, Back to the Future concept. I suspect it will not be sustainable because really fast teams will feast on its mangled corpse - and also Chiarot looks like the kind of guy who will be 'exposed' by top-pairing minutes. But I really like the Petry-Mete combo, and you have to hand it to Julien - he identified that the B's killer line is not super speedy and that it could be contained by two 'heavy' d-men. The man can coach.

He really is great at adjusting as the game changes.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

😅😂

Julien has kinda said it isn't a full time pairing but something he will use for some matchups.  Im fine with that.

The pairing had a good night 

So did the Petry pair.

However the Fleury-Reilly pair was caved in on the night.  Might be time for a change Thursday 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Julien has kinda said it isn't a full time pairing but something he will use for some matchups.  Im fine with that.

The pairing had a good night 

So did the Petry pair.

However the Fleury-Reilly pair was caved in on the night.  Might be time for a change Thursday 

It has to be time to get kulak back in ther rotation. He was solid last season.  Im a little surprised that he's the odd man out.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think Mete's work with Tim Turk is really paying off -- especially now that Mete has broken his duck.

Arpon Basu posted a nice photo demonstrating what Turk has been teaching Mete.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

This and the Danault line worked brilliantly.  I havent looked up the 5v5 advanced stats tonight but my feeling is that the danault line won their matchup against Bergeron and it wasnt particularly close (other than on faceoffs)

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher and the A-D-D line had the Bruins' number last night, and the advanced stats confirm that (as much as I am able to interpret them).

Lehkonen-Poehling-Byron struggled, though, in spite of Byron's goal. Julien had Thompson take extra shifts on that line, which worked better. (Thompson finished with over 15 minutes of ice time, Poehling only about nine minutes.)

It was Poehling's first game, let's see how things go from here. But nine minutes of ice time is far less than he was getting in Laval.

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

I know th goal was waived for offside, but Rielly should be up in the stairs after this aweful pinch. 

It was Junior B level at best.

Wait I thought our D was improved this year because of experience under their belt🤔. That’s what I was told earlier when I said its the same bad D from last year. Oh and what happen to everyone's favorite red button?

On 11/5/2019 at 2:41 PM, Trizzak said:

I don't understand how Reilly went from being scratched for every game except one from the trade deadline last season, to suddenly having the coach's confidence over Kulak for the past 4 games (including back-to-backs.)

Reilly has looked shaky to me. What am I missing about him?

I do not know, but I vaguely remember Richardson saying early on on an interview that he was looking to work with guys like Reilly who have "the tools" but haven't together yet. I am guessing they have been working together on improving his game.

Reilly reminds me of Petry when he came to the CH, before he found his game.

We got 2  NHL d on this team Weber and Petry. Everyone else should be in the AHL, yes even Mete. He isn't a #1 LD in the NHL and shouldn't be playing as one. He should be developing in the AHL.

45 minutes ago, Metallica said:

We got 2  NHL d on this team Weber and Petry. Everyone else should be in the AHL, yes even Mete. He isn't a #1 LD in the NHL and shouldn't be playing as one. He should be developing in the AHL.

Charot is nhl. Kulak is nhl. Just in the doghouse. 

48 minutes ago, Metallica said:

As long as Mete is develop right he’s fine playing in Montreal. If he's going to get less ice time each time he makes a mistake then he's better off in the AHL.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Using the ratings from corsicahockey.com (they use stats for these, you may or may not agree with these, but they are at least another point of view), here are the Habs' defencemen. 93 LD and 93 RD in the league (but the rankings also include just "D" which can play both sides). I do think they weigh 2018-2019 performance more than 2019-2020, which makes sense as this season is still very young

• Weber: #7 RD (1st pair)
  • Petry: #12 RD (1st pair)
  • Folin: #76 RD (3rd pair, maybe)
  • Kulak: #28 LD (1st pair, maybe)
  • Mete: #52 LD (2nd pair, maybe)
  • Reilly: #70 LD (3rd pair, barely)
  • Chiarot: #82 LD (probably not 3rd pair)
  • Fleury: #52 D (2nd pair, maybe)

If we accept their rankings, I'd say we have five credible NHL defencemen: Weber, Petry, Kulak, Mete and Fleury. Chiarot, Folin and Reilly maybe not so much.

It's just one data point, though.

EDIT: Merging all into a single list, including D, LD and RD (182 D-men in the top-three pairs in the NHL):

• Weber: #10
  • Petry: #19
  • Kulak: #57
  • Mete: #101
  • Fleury: #116
  • Reilly: #137
  • Chiarot: #158
  • Folin: #173

https://www.corsicahockey.com/nhl/players/nhl-player-ratings-rankings

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Using the ratings from corsicahockey.com (they use stats for these, you may or may not agree with these, but they are at least another point of view), here are the Habs' defencemen. 93 LD and 93 RD in the league (but the rankings also include just "D" which can play both sides). I do think they weigh 2018-2019 performance more than 2019-2020, which makes sense as this season is still very young

If we accept their rankings, I'd say we have five credible NHL defencemen: Weber, Petry, Kulak, Mete and Fleury. Chiarot, Folin and Reilly maybe not so much.

EDIT: Merging all into a single list, including D, LD and RD (182 D-men in the top-three pairs in the NHL):

Does your stats show how many give a ways and 2 on 1 and missed assignments that these guys give up?

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Does your stats show how many give a ways and 2 on 1 and missed assignments that these guys give up?

You can look here to see how they calculate:

https://www.corsicahockey.com/nhl-player-ratings-explained

As I said, it's only one data point. But for some reason the stats don't say that all our D are garbage. I can't explain that, can you?

12 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

You can look here to see how they calculate:

https://www.corsicahockey.com/nhl-player-ratings-explained

As I said, it's only one data point. But for some reason the stats don't say that all our D are garbage. I can't explain that, can you?

From what I see Weber 1, Petry 2, Mete 3

Fleury not ready should be developing in AHL. Everyone else can go and we need an upgrade on.

Just think of what this team can be if we had a Elite  puck moving defensemen on it.

One thing I loved about Gainey he made sure our D was Strong.

12 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

One thing I loved about Gainey he made sure our D was Strong.

MB 6yrs, 3 division titles, 4 playoff appearances

Bob 7yrs, 1 division title,  4 playoff appearances

So if his defense was strong, didnt seem to matter in results.

13 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Based on your ranking and the corsica hockey numbers, I do not know why Riley gets such a bad rap. He is a good depth NHLer. A good 7th that can fill in for injuries. Chiarot seems to be adjusting under Richardson and Julien. A good 3rd pairing guy which can play up the lineup. If we project Weber to start declining, the CH needs an elite LD for the rest to fall into place. 

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Based on your ranking and the corsica hockey numbers, I do not know why Riley gets such a bad rap. He is a good depth NHLer. A good 7th that can fill in for injuries. Chiarot seems to be adjusting under Richardson and Julien. A good 3rd pairing guy which can play up the lineup. If we project Weber to start declining, the CH needs an elite LD for the rest to fall into place. 

Weber and Petry tied for 15th in d-scoring, is that declining?

Reilly is fine for pressbox depth, but would prefer to not see him in the top six and Kulak instead.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Reilly is fine for pressbox depth, but would prefer to not see him in the top six and Kulak instead.

The ratings support that, with Kulak ranked #57 overall of all NHL defencemen. (And I do think alfredoh meant exactly that, fill in when needed, not in the top three pairs barring injuries.)