Game #25 Devils vs Habs 7:30 Nov 28 2019

DON

5 minutes ago, Chris said:

They are either in rebuild or they are not. MB is somewhere in between 

Im for a rebuild, selling off some players for young talent and picks. 

That's exactly what I have been trying to say. Pick one if you want to keep cap space and not sign anyone then your in rebuild and you don't need Price, Weber, Petry , Tatar and Gallagher on this team. Trade them all play the kids and rebuild this team.

Other  wise spend the money and get them help 

Back to the game at hand ... it's another loss. And yet at least the team sucked less than it did against the Bruins. PK managed to kill off four penalties with no goals given up.

But ...

Shots 48-35 for the Habs

Scoring chances 36-18 for the Habs

High-danger scoring chances 12-10 for the Habs

And we lose 6-4.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Back to the game at hand ... it's another loss. And yet at least the team sucked less than it did against the Bruins. PK managed to kill off four penalties with no goals given up.

But ...

Shots 48-35 for the Habs

And we lose 6-4.

Lack of finish is a recurring theme during this slide.  It would appear the goalfest early in the season was a mirage, as it has been often early in the season for many years.  We scored a good number of goals in this game, but WHEN you score them matters too a lot of the time.  Cash in more early during the shooting gallery, and maybe NJ gets disheartened and doesn't play as hard the rest of the way.   MAYBE we tighten up defensively, and force turnovers rather than being guilty of them ourselves. 

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But ...

Shots 48-35 for the Habs

And we lose 6-4.

Thats because of giveaways, NJ capitalize on all our giveaways.

If MB could find an upgrade for the 3rd pairing that would help. It shouldn't be too tough to go find a #5 dman.

I think it was better with meet weber

And chairot petry 

What a terrible game. What happened to this team? They looked so good to start the season 

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

3rd pair? They are all 3rd pair. 

Mete on a good team is 3rd pair guy, so is Chairot and Fluery

Good teams wouldnt even have Kulak and Reilly playing meaningful minutes 

I think a good team could afford one of charot mete in their top pairings, but not both. They need a top 4 left d badly. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Cj is supposed to be a defence first coach.

The PK has been a disaster all.year.

Now the 5v5 has broken down.

Im on him to be the one out the door.  Let Bouchard take over.

So at what point do you look at Bergevin? Its his retool, his players other than Price and Gallagher.  Its his 2nd coaching staff hired and its the same thing every year with this team. So at what point is it on Bergevin?

Scotty Bowman Mike Keenan and any Sutter brother combined behind the bench won't motivate and improve this bunch

You have seen a power play comprised of Weal, Cousins and Reilly? WTF is that? 

Players playing out of position, terrible defensive lineup

Im nuetral on CJ, 

MB is in charge of the players on the team, they will miss the playoffs 4 out of the last 5 years, multiple coaches 

Even the empty net goal was scored on an odd man rush.

This is a lot going wrong all at once. Habs haven't looked like the same team in each of the 6 losses. It's frustrating to watch the team identity crumble like this.

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Scotty Bowman Mike Keenan and any Sutter brother combined behind the bench won't motivate and improve this bunch.

And yet. Essentially the same set of players played a solid 20 games, For the same coach, and stood second in the division.

I only see two realistic explanations to the current slump: either the players are dispirited, demoralized and demotivated, or they are exhausted from playing Julien’s system. Bit I find hard to believe that exhaustion would have hit so hard and so fast.

So it’s all mental. And the question is, how to get them playing the same way again — using Julien’s system. 

Sorry, I don’t have the answer, though.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Let Bouchard take over ?  Does that mean Alain Vigneault or Michelle Therrien are not available?   OK, bad joke. 

55 minutes ago, DON said:

Taking Fleury out likely isnt the answer.

Kulak had rough game and Reilly was Reilly.

Price was scary bad.

Taking out Fleury was dumb, and so was  not playing Kinkaid.

To me these are signs even the coaches are over-thinking it, talking themselves out of common sense.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

At what point would you make that move? 2, 3 more losses? Would you try a trade (even a minor one) first? 

I’ve been saying they need a cleanup from the top of the house for the last few years.  This is not a team to retool . We need a rebuild and a new guy to take charge and decide the the next coach  - and no more frigginn retreads.  MB reminds me of my dad when I was growing up - replacing the car tires tires with used tires - grantee he couldn’t afford the cost of new tires.  We are paying $5m for a guy who the game has clealry passed by.  Coaching change isn’t going to help. At some point MB has to go and the new GM will want a new coach. May as well get a competent GM who doesn’t build a d with scrap heaps and all his hopes pinned on a guy in Russia hi has yet to play a game.  I say you fire MB. Make a couple of minor moves - hopefully get price and Weber going and getting than move them.  Make Gallagher captain and Give Petry an A..  go for a lottery position. Move Tatar by the trade deadline.  Draft is in Montreal load up on picks. would be something if we can get one of the top two picks who both look to be good.

calgary needs a goalie maybe there is a fit there.

weve seen this shot show for the past 5 years - wither a strong start and then fizzle out, slow start and strong finish.  Close but no cigar what MB’s middle name should be. 

other GM’s make deals.  Deals are hard to do, but they address their most pressing need. man tries, but it’s just too damn hard of a job for him. MB hasn’t filled the left D since Markov left.  And he’s been throwing darts at #1 centre and hoping someone will stick.

I cannot belive how shit Petry has been lately. He's reverting back to two years ago. 

Julien has also reverted back in a sense, his "new" coaching style has changed; he now has this team funneling every puck to the net, whether its a quality chance or not. The Habs crash the net on every shot, so it ends up leading to odd man breaks the other way. It's making Price look like a bad goalie. 

Reilly and Kulak are trash. They're ahl defenseman, that are creating havok, for this team defensively. 

This team probably will bounce back, but this brutal streak will come back around again. 

Bergevin has built a "hay house" and it's get damn windy out 

I still say that an impact LD would make a big difference. To me, our defensive woes this season owe a lot to the regression of Kulak, added to the wider fact that the entire LD side is a patch-up job: two #4s in Mete and Chiarot and nothing else. You keep asking guys to play over their heads. It's not a recipe for sustained excellence. Then you throw in some rookie/sophomore FWs playing key roles, and the defensive fragility compounds itself. 

Add a strong LD and I'm pretty sure much of the defensive panic would gradually subside. The effect would ramify through the roster.

But this gets to Habs29's point about MB. The GM simply does not address major roster holes. People here say, 'well, he tries, so that's all we can ask.' No, it isn't. Mike Reilly tries. And he sucks, because he is a fringe NHLer. We don't say 'give him a top-4 spot.' Why is 'trying' and regularly failing acceptable for a GM? 

Not that I'd fire MB mid-season. But if the team misses the playoffs? 100% without hesitation. 

Funny about Julien...before this skid I thought he was doing very well with a bubble roster. I guess the point is, we cannot allow the skid to go on much longer; one more loss will mean we've literally thrown away 10% of the season over a two-week span in November. If I'm MB I'm working the phone right now on at least a minor NHL-level deal, anything to give the club a little jolt. But if that fails, CJ is out the door.