Nov. 30, Flyers vs Habs, 3 PM

dlbalr

The Habs have been slumping badly these last couple of weeks.  As a result, it's time to turn to one of the forum's most trusted slump-busters.  It's small but it's also speedy and elusive, elements that haven't been as prevalent in recent games (especially when it comes to getting back on defence).  I speak, of course, about the dancing banana.

:1banana:

Dancing banana, may your wiggling inspire the Habs to play with pace and speed and perhaps remind them what to do in the defensive zone against a Flyers team that just put up six against Detroit yesterday afternoon.

Puck drop is at 3 PM on Sportsnet (national) and RDS (regional).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

I haven’t seen Petry make a clean pass yet.

When he's on, he's great.  When he's off, he can be borderline unplayable.  That's what has stopped him from really emerging as a legitimate top pairing option.

12 minutes ago, DON said:

#51 has looked OK, so far.

Agreed.  So far, so good for Olofsson.

Just now, Commandant said:

Thats as much on cousins as it is on petry.  Maybe more on cousins.

Cousins was clearly out of position, but Petry had enough of a peek to see that and make a different play I thought.  The lob is almost always there, and it doesn't get used nearly often enough to take the heat off in a dangerous situation.

4 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Cousins was clearly out of position, but Petry had enough of a peek to see that and make a different play I thought.  The lob is almost always there, and it doesn't get used nearly often enough to take the heat off in a dangerous situation.

Two things

First, things that are easy to see on tv are not as easy to see when you are on the ice and the game is going a million miles an hour.  Thats why you have to rely on your winger to do his job.

Second, the lob out of the zone and giving up possession is not a system any successful team is preaching now.  Chip it out and let them have it in the neutral zone is not a good play. You want to hit your winger and start a counter attack.

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Two things

First, things that are easy to see on tv are not as easy to see when you are on the ice and the game is going a million miles an hour.  Thats why you have to rely on your winger to do his job.

Second, the lob out of the zone and giving up possession is not a system any successful team is preaching now.  Chip it out and let them have it in the neutral zone is not a good play. You want to hit your winger and start a counter attack.

I can concede point one, thought it did look like Petry took a glance.  As for point two, the lob and giving up possession was not my suggestion for a normal 'system' play...it was my suggestion for a situation where something has gone terribly wrong and renders the usual breakout play impossible to attempt without taking a great risk.  The Lob would strictly be a fallback play that is lower risk than trying to force something that isn't there.