Kinkaid on waivers

JoeLassister

3 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Right now, Lindgren is playing better than Primeau. 

Yes lately hes been slightly better but no for the season. I think they call Primeau up. I'd be surprised if they called up Lindgren.

8 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

He's won 1 of 6 starts with an .875% and a GAA above 4.

I didn't say Kinkaid has been stellar. But few people expected him to be a huge upgrade. And he really has not played enough (and Price has been playing too much); that likely won't change, either, regardless of whom the Rocket sends up.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I didn't say Kinkaid has been stellar. But few people expected him to be a huge upgrade. And he really has not played enough (and Price has been playing too much); that likely won't change, either, regardless of whom the Rocket sends up.

Well now, I may be misremembering. But I seem to recall quite a few posts on here highlighting the Kinkaid pickup as a key "small upgrade" which was supposed to combine with other small upgrades to make the 2019-20 Habs meaningfully improved over the 2018-29 Habs. This claim was generally made in response to old grouches like me, who kept pointing out that the GM had done little to upgrade on a roster that missed the playoffs and arguing that this was basically a fail by Bergevin. Now that Kinkaid has been revealed to be just as mediocre as skeptics like me feared, we're told that nobody really believed he was an upgrade and so it wasn't a fail in the first place. 🙄 Boy, I wish my supervisors were as generous toward me as fans are toward Bergevin.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Maybe Toronto picks him up?

They have the cap room for it now but once Marner comes back in the next week or so, they'll only be able to carry 19 skaters (and that's with Hutchinson making the league minimum as the backup).  Realistically, they can't take him even if they wanted to.

This is a complete distraction move, nothing to see here. 

if anyone thinks a back up is a reason for an 8 game losing streak, they are nuts. 

hudon in or peca in is also irrelevant. 

Until MB decides on a full rebuild by trading vets for picks and prospects or trading off quality prospects for help today, nothing will change. he is going to miss the playoffs 5 out 8 years during his reign.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well now, I may be misremembering. But I seem to recall quite a few posts on here highlighting the Kinkaid pickup as a key "small upgrade" which was supposed to combine with other small upgrades to make the 2019-20 Habs meaningfully improved over the 2018-29 Habs. This claim was generally made in response to old grouches like me, who kept pointing out that the GM had done little to upgrade on a roster that missed the playoffs and arguing that this was basically a fail by Bergevin. Now that Kinkaid has been revealed to be just as mediocre as skeptics like me feared, we're told that nobody really believed he was an upgrade and so it wasn't a fail in the first place. 🙄 Boy, I wish my supervisors were as generous toward me as fans are toward Bergevin.

I did believe that he would be an upgrade, and hopefully be able to provide stable backup goaltending. It hasn't worked out that way so far.

But one factor working against Kinkaid, and Niemi before him, and possibly Primeau next, is the way Julien utilizes backup goaltenders, with 1-2 week gaps between games. It's much harder for a goalie to keep focus and rhythm when playing only 2-3 times per month.

It is looking that way, but it was not looking that way at the 20 game mark.

On the season they are a bit over .500 and should thread water until Drouin, Mete and Byron are back.

I would trade a D prospect and picks for and upgrade on LD including adding Mete if that it what it takes 

6 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I did believe that he would be an upgrade, and hopefully be able to provide stable backup goaltending. It hasn't worked out that way so far.

But one factor working against Kinkaid, and Niemi before him, and possibly Primeau next, is the way Julien utilizes backup goaltenders, with 1-2 week gaps between games. It's much harder for a goalie to keep focus and rhythm when playing only 2-3 times per month.

That is the nature of the job.

Now if sending Kinkaid down helps him get more reps and come back stronger, then hey, that's great. But the bottom line is that Kinkaid did not convince CJ that he would be able to win enough games to warrant more starts.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That is the nature of the job.

Now if sending Kinkaid down helps him get more reps and come back stronger, then hey, that's great. But the bottom line is that Kinkaid did not convince CJ that he would be able to win enough games to warrant more starts.

Before the season, a lot of people, here and on the Athletic, were saying that Price should be playing no more than 50-55 games in the regular season to avoid exhaustion toward the end. He's currently on track for 67 starts.

Yes, that is the death spiral. Very difficult to get out of that. But it is a factor: it's much easier for a backup to play 35-40% of the games than 18%.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Before the season, a lot of people, here and on the Athletic, were saying that Price should be playing no more than 50-55 games in the regular season to avoid exhaustion toward the end. He's currently on track for 67 starts.

Yes, that is the death spiral. Very difficult to get out of that. But it is a factor: it's much easier for a backup to play 35-40% of the games than 18%.

Same old chicken and the egg. We have this argument about young players all the time: "the coach should give him more ice time and prime offensive opportunities" versus "no, he has to earn those opportunities, not have them handed to him for free."

The thing about Kinkaid is, he was human garbage in Jersey, so it was never terribly clear why we thought he would morph into a 30-game backup with lots of Ws here. I'm sure Julien would rather be resting Price, but at the end of the day he's been too concerned about Kinkaid, and not without reason, based on his track record.

Perhaps we can add Backup G to LD and top-6 C as among the list of necessities which MB has proved consistently incapable of supplying his club.

I can't believe Kinkaid is being put on waivers.  The guy had average games in most of his starts, some stellar starts.  Which is what you want from a backup.  He is not the problem.

If we are putting the problems on waivers, I guess all 6 D can go play in Laval.  Seriously, are the brass actually watching the games?  Giving up Grade-A chances are often as the D is doing is sickening.  Watching 3 Canadiens player within 3 feet of eachother in the D-zone without the puck or an opposing player within 10 feet of any of them. 

Price has quit on the defense, Kinkaid has had some stellar first periods, then quits on the defense.  Can you blame them?  The defense has quit on the goalies long before any of this.

44 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The thing about Kinkaid is, he was human garbage in Jersey (...)

Kinkaid has a .875 record this year, with very limited playing time. Price is .898, Saros .891 and Bobrovsky .884. So where is the dividing line for human garbage?

OK, we have different opinions, let's just accept that. Kinkaid is on his way to Laval, so no need to argue this one any more.

Again,

Waiving Kincaid is a direct shot at Price as well. Not just Kincaid and his abysmal .875 and +4GAA as a back up.

Lets not kid ourselves.

CLEARLY they dont believe Kincaid can help the team or Price out of this mess. Price is clearly struggling and we need him to be our best player.  Can Primeau help Price find the form that's eluded him for the better part of 3 seasons?

Im hoping Primeau's baptism under fire turns to lightning in a bottle

13 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

It is looking that way, but it was not looking that way at the 20 game mark.

On the season they are a bit over .500 and should thread water until Drouin, Mete and Byron are back.

I would trade a D prospect and picks for and upgrade on LD including adding Mete if that it what it takes 

Mete? Really? You do realise how young he is and how far along he is in his development at such a young age? This is not a vid game. You would regret that in 2 years. 

We were not contenders in September. Had a great start. Having a bad slump. Hopefully they get hot again soon before the idiot fans railroad the coach that they felt should get the Jack Adams last year and up until 8 games ago. 

MB is not the problem in Montreal, nor is CJ. Problem is the presse. 

• Upvote 1

Human garbage?

Come on man.  

Lets reserve that for people like Bill Peters and not people who simply dont play hockey as well as hoped.

That said, i think we will see kinkaid again before the end of the year.  I think hes just going down to find his game and will be back.  I doubt the Habs want a 20 year old goalie to spend more than a few weeks as a backup

52 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Human garbage?

Come on man.  

Lets reserve that for people like Bill Peters and not people who simply dont play hockey as well as hoped.

That said, i think we will see kinkaid again before the end of the year.  I think hes just going down to find his game and will be back.  I doubt the Habs want a 20 year old goalie to spend more than a few weeks as a backup

i agree thats the conservative plan here. Of course, if Primeau comes up and lights the net on fire then it a whole other situation we will have. My God the clamouring of the plates demanding more will be immense.

Will he have to go on waivers again when coming back up? 

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i agree thats the conservative plan here. Of course, if Primeau comes up and lights the net on fire then it a whole other situation we will have. My God the clamouring of the plates demanding more will be immense.

Will he have to go on waivers again when coming back up? 

I will be surprised if Primeau gets a start.

As for kinkaid, there is no recall waivers anymore.

why would you be suprised? The kids gonna getting at least a game guaranteed as soon as this weekend (pending how it goes tonight). Price isnt playing 3 games in 4 nights.

i see him starting Friday against COL while Price gets the wildcard game on Saturday night vs the NYR (he's been really good overall against them and it on Saturday night to bout)