what would you do diffrent if you were g.m?

DANFALCAO

what would you do diffrent if you were bob with signings,trades,with yr roster?

[Edited on 2005/8/7 by DANFALCAO]

<b>Puck Edit:</b> Yeah, we like to spell out full words here at HW, its "you" not "u" :D . Its not that hard to write out the 2 extra letters, and it makes all the difference in the world for the reader.

[Edited on 2005-8-9 by puck7x]

ABout the only thing I'd do different would have been to buyout Craig Rivet $2,660,000 and not have signed Dandenault $1,750,000 which equals about $4.4 Million and I would have went after Adrian Aucoin who would have been a better fit as a top four defensman.

I'd also like to see Gainey sign Theodore, Ryder, Ribeiro, Markov, Perezhogin, Hainsey, Komisarek, Hossa and Souray to long term deals. I think theres a solid future with these kids as the cornerstones of the franchise and they can be successfull for years to come. I'd also like to see the Habs make a hard run a Vincent Lecavalier next offseason if he hasn't been signed long term by someone else

Sign Hamerlik... although I like our young defense I like Hamerliks mean-streak and mobility even more.

Trade for Brendan Witt - can you see Kimosorik, Sourey and Witt on the D?? WIll be needed to get by Philly!! They already let Mike Ratje go to Philly - do NOT let Witt get away!! If Rivet was bought out, could have signed Ratjhe.

Make the Luongo trade - he is younger, cheaper and i think a better goalie then Theodore (many have pointed out Garon's bad playoffs last year in the AHL - what about Theodore in 2004 - very inconsistant). If it means giving up Ryder so be it - we have two other scoring wingers in Kovolev and Zednik, and now that have some young guys that are SUPPOSED to be ready - I'd like to see what they can do. Montreal is notorious for not giving their young guys a chance and then watching them develop elsewhere, or babying their prospects for too long, or not bringing guys in until they learn to play defense first.

Try VERY HARD to to get Vinny Lecavalier in a package that would unload mikey ribs - if Kubina can be had by including Price in a deal - MAKE THE DEAL!!! The way he manhandled Sourey to score a pivotal goal in the 2004 playoffs was his coming out. he is ready to be the next big habs - only thing we'd have to do is replace his #4. we have not had this kind of talent since the flower.

If there still is an option to buyout contracts after the arbitration process is completed, correct past mistakes by buying out Rivet (love the guy - but is making too much money - at least $750k to $1M overpaid), buyout Bonk (too much money for a third liner - who not only will make negotiations with Koivu tough, but this guy has never shown up in the playoffs). Moving these two would allow montreal to pick up a D man like Witt and another scoring winger in the mix until the kids prove themselves.

[Edited on 2005/8/9 by habForever]

Originally posted by habForever

Trade for Brendan Witt - can you see Kimosorik, Sourey and Witt on the D?? WIll be needed to get by Philly!!

Nope, really cant see that. Have no idea who this Kimosorik guy is. That has to be the worst mis-spelling I've ever seen for Mike's name, what were you thinking? I'm sure everyone knows who you mean, but still thats no excuse for misspelling the name of one of our top young players.

Make the Luongo trade....

That trade is just a rumour, its probably not even an option for Gainey. But hey, this is a fantasy-thread, so its alright :) ... I'd like to see how Luongo plays with smaller equipment before acquiring him myself.

Try VERY HARD to to get Vinny Lecavalier in a package that would unload mikey ribs - if Kubina can be had by including Price in a deal - MAKE THE DEAL!!! The way he manhandled Sourey to score a pivotal goal in the 2004 playoffs was his coming out. he is ready to be the next big habs - only thing we'd have to do is replace his #4. we have not had this kind of talent since the flower.

Why not just wait till next year when Lecavalier is a UFA, then sign him, and trade for help in other areas. Have some patience.

If there still is an option to buyout contracts after the arbitration process is completed, correct past mistakes by buying out Rivet (love the guy - but is making too much money - at least $750k to $1M overpaid), buyout Bonk (too much money for a third liner - who not only will make negotiations with Koivu tough, but this guy has never shown up in the playoffs). Moving these two would allow montreal to pick up a D man like Witt and another scoring winger in the mix until the kids prove themselves.

The buyout period is over, all future buyouts count against the cap.

Also, why would you buyout Bonk before even giving him a chance to show what he can do as a habs? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. At least give him a few games, a change of scenery can do a player good. And since when did B.Witt become our saviour? He's pretty over-rated imo.

oh wait, the topic is "what would you do if you were GM" ... Well you have a right to an opinion. :D

Personally I'd wait for the season to start before making any moves. Our team is pretty much set right now. Lets see what they can do.

[Edited on 2005-8-9 by puck7x]

Why not just wait till next year when Lecavalier is a UFA, then sign him, and trade for help in other areas. Have some patience.

bcoz next year he will most likely be offered more money - I think offering a longer term deal now might be a little cheaper then next year when you have teams that are really going to suck this year (i.e. Leafs, Rangers) that are going to be in the market for next year's crop of UFA. Next year may also be harder bcoz there may be other guys like Thornton in the market who get signed on for the max which is going to drive the market up for other UFA's (kind of like the UFA market for defensemen this year).

That trade is just a rumour, its probably not even an option for Gainey.

Don't know until you pursue it.

The buyout period is over, all future buyouts count against the cap.

I could be wrong here - not an expert on the CBA, bought i though that temas would get another buyout option after the arbitration period (or it may only apply for teams that have players going to arbitration).

Also, why would you buyout Bonk before even giving him a chance to show what he can do as a habs? Seems kind of ridiculous to me. At least give him a few games, a change of scenery can do a player good. And since when did B.Witt become our saviour? He's pretty over-rated imo.

I think Bonk was a big mistake - that is only going to be compounded with the salary cap imposed by the new CBA - if there is an oppertunity to correct the mistake rather then overpaying Bonk for two more years - i'd do it. This looks like a Andre Savard move to me, more then Gainey. But regardless, under the new CBA - you can't be paying a third line center over $2M - expecially when you don't have a true 1st line centre (I love koivu, i remember back when he was actually leading forsburg in scoring before his first big injury, but he really is a #2 centre, or a 1B at best).

As far as Witt goes, his style suits playoff hockey, and montreal needs guys who can clear the front of the net. As much as i like Rivet, he is a clutch and glab Dman, not physical enough to clear the net without grabbing guys..

about the spelling - guilty as charged:D

[Edited on 2005/8/9 by habForever]

Originally posted by Tony

Bonk hasn't played a game with the Habs yet, cut him some slack. No one knows how he will perform.

Exactly. I'd be pissed off if they bought him out, because then we might as well have traded Garon for Huet :nono:

Luongo is not necesarily going to be cheaper. He is going to be unresticted next season as well, so we would be giving up Ryder for nothing....as I said before BG wont make this deal as it is rumoured

Originally posted by habForever

buyout Bonk (too much money for a third liner

I think some people put a little too much emphasis on the line numbers. Sure, Bonk technically centres the third line, but he'll also play some PP and PK. The fact remains that Bulis, who played third line most of last year, averaged more ice time per game than Ribeiro, Ryder, or Dagenais, our so-called second line...

The fact remains that Bulis, who played third line most of last year, averaged more ice time per game than Ribeiro, Ryder, or Dagenais, our so-called second line...

That is EXACTLY why i think Montreal needs to trade Bonk - at best (in my opion) he is a third line centre. Is talented but doesnt alwasy show up, and in the playoffs he is generally invisible. I really don't like our first or second line centres. To me Koivu would be the ideal second line centre (is as close to a 1A as you can get). he can play the PP and PK.

And i'm even more uncomfortable of having Ribiero as the second line centre (skilled, yes, but small frail, and doesn't always show up).

I really think the Habs need a TRUE #1 centre who will be a constant threat. It doesn't make sense in paying Koivu $3.5M to $4.5M , Ribeiro $1M to $1.5M and Bonk $2.3M (?). Why not spend the $5-6M on a guy like Lecavalier (trade for him and try to sign him to a longterm $5M-$5.5M-$6M-$6M deal. then try and sign on Koivu at around $3.5M??? I think it will be harder to get Koivu to take $3M-$3.5M when Bonk is making $2.3M.

It makes much more sense to spend more on top end talent, and then fill your roster with guys making $750k-$1.5M.

That's also why I think the habs need to get rid of Rivet (great leader, gritty player - but should be making around the same money as Dandenault . Isn't Sourey a free agent next year??? if so, it's going to be harder to resign him when Rivet is making $2.8M.

Under the old system, you could screw up with one guys salary, and then end up paying other players on your team more when their contracts are due - you can't afford to make those types of mistakes anymore udner the new CBA. That's why i think Gainey made a huge mistake not buying out Bonk and Rivet.

Yeah, if he bought out Bonk, it makes the Garon deal a Garon for Huet deal. But the fact is that the Garon deal is done (under the assumption of the old CBA). It's a sunk cost now. You can't hang on to Bonk because it makes the Garon deal looks bad, you have to correct the situation going forward. Bcoz overpaying guys under the new CBA is just going to hurt negoitions with other players. And you are going to see more salary dump deals (like Roneick and Thibault). Sure Clarke should have been able to get more then Futures for Roenick, but dumping Roenick let him get one of the top three players in the game (when healthy). Ordinarily I think Clarke makes dumb deals (except the Rechhi-Leclair/Desjardins) deal, but i think he made a great move, given the new CBA. And thats what the habs need to do now.

So far, I'd likely have done the Kovalev deal and signed Koivu to a longer term deal.

As to the Théodore/Luongo, Koivu&Ryder/Lecavalier deal, that's an awfully interesting one. The two we get have ridiculously super upside whereas the ones we would lose are solid parts of our present team and help to make up the present positive atmosphere in the locker room. The risk/possibilities of Luongo and Lecavalier look to be worth it and yet the risk/possibilities of losing our three are hard to justify because a player's skill level doesn't necessarily make him a valuable asset to a team.

So, I'm neither here or there on this one... I'll leave that burden to the one who's being paid to carry it.

Anything else? No, not really - I trust Gainey on those.

:ghg::ghg::ghg: