GAME#34 Habs @Canucks 7:00 PST Dec 17 2019

DON

Just once, I'd like to see our owner step up to the plate and go off on the screwjobs we get from both the on-ice officials and the war room.  Say what needs to be said, loud and in the press, and pay the fine...the NHL needs to be called out!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

Just once, I'd like to see our owner step up to the plate and go off on the screwjobs we get from both the on-ice officials and the war room.  Say what needs to be said, loud and in the press, and pay the fine...the NHL needs to be called out!

Agreed.  Especially on plays like that

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Gonchar was a great Dman.

He was 10 years to late coming to MTL

Loved Gonchar. I say "Habs legend" facetiously, not sarcastically... he got 1 of his 220 goals in a Habs uniform. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Loved Gonchar. I say "Habs legend" facetiously, not sarcastically... he got 1 of his 220 goals in a Habs uniform. 

Of course... 

I got that. I'm saying he was 10 years to late joining Markov in MTL

Price's numbers against Van are insane. Something like a .957 % in his last seven. 

I'm interested in the fact that the Canucks are doing worse than I thought they would. The Edler injury really hurts them, but they may also be suffering from having too many very young guys playing really key roles. Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes are elite talents, but it's hard to carry an NHL club at that age.

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm interested in the fact that the Canucks are doing worse than I thought they would. The Edler injury really hurts them, but they may also be suffering from having too many very young guys playing really key roles. Pettersson, Boeser, and Hughes are elite talents, but it's hard to carry an NHL club at that age.

Interesting - I think they've overachieved this season.  Jacob Markstrom is average as a starter, their defence isn't exactly stellar, and they have about four above average forwards (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller) with most of the rest of them being overpaid role players (Sutter, Roussel, Beagle) or young underachievers (Virtanen and Leivo).  I didn't think they'd be dead last or anything but I didn't think they'd be within striking distance of a playoff spot at any point this season.

49 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Interesting - I think they've overachieved this season.  Jacob Markstrom is average as a starter, their defence isn't exactly stellar, and they have about four above average forwards (Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller) with most of the rest of them being overpaid role players (Sutter, Roussel, Beagle) or young underachievers (Virtanen and Leivo).  I didn't think they'd be dead last or anything but I didn't think they'd be within striking distance of a playoff spot at any point this season.

Well, I'm not saying they're world-beaters. But they finished 9 points back of the playoff bar last year - then they added Miller (top-6 FW), Quinn Hughes (top-4 D and likely future #1), Tyler Myers (probably a #4 D), and (the sadly concussed) Ferland (solid 3rd liner) without subtracting anything significant from their roster.  I looked at it and went, 'well, you add two top-4 D and better FW depth' - especially if you factor in Lievo and Pearson, second-half acquisitions last season - along with more seasoning for Pettersson and Boeser, and you've got a team that should be at or even above the playoff bar. I agree that their cap management has been sad, but that seems immaterial to the question of where they should be on paper. Anyhow, they are obviously proving me wrong. But I still think they should be on the bubble at least.

Their run of mediocrity probably owes more to Edler's injury than anything else. Still, if I'm Benning, I'm starting to sharpen the axe for Travis Green. They cannot afford another lottery pick this year, since it'd go to Tampa in the Miller deal. They're all in on at least making the dance.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, I'm not saying they're world-beaters. But they finished 9 points back of the playoff bar last year - then they added Miller (top-6 FW), Quinn Hughes (top-4 D and likely future #1), Tyler Myers (probably a #4 D), and (the sadly concussed) Ferland (solid 3rd liner) without subtracting anything significant from their roster.  I looked at it and went, 'well, you add two top-4 D and better FW depth' - especially if you factor in Lievo and Pearson, second-half acquisitions last season - along with more seasoning for Pettersson and Boeser, and you've got a team that should be at or even above the playoff bar. I agree that their cap management has been sad, but that seems immaterial to the question of where they should be on paper. Anyhow, they are obviously proving me wrong. But I still think they should be on the bubble at least.

Their run of mediocrity probably owes more to Edler's injury than anything else. Still, if I'm Benning, I'm starting to sharpen the axe for Travis Green. They cannot afford another lottery pick this year, since it'd go to Tampa in the Miller deal. They're all in on at least making the dance.

If the Canucks miss the playoffs, the Lightning do not get the pick... they get the Canucks 2021 pick instead

21 hours ago, sbhatt said:

Dont see any difference in calls between teams, in general.

Habs tied for 17th in penalties taken.

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

Reilly is terrible. 

Yes, but do you have to sometimes play him, to up his trade value at expense of slightly weaker play than a Kulak or Leskinen

1 minute ago, DON said:

Yes, but do you have to sometimes play him, to up his trade value at slight expense of weaker play than a Kulak or Leskinen

meh, at best he's getting you a 4th or 5th round pick... we have like a thousand of those already.... As soon as Mete is back, I hope we never see him again. 

chiarot, mete and kulak will be the three LHD.   I see a huge difference between Kulak and Reilly..... Leskinen and Reilly less of a difference, but I'd still want Leskinen as he's younger and less experienced so more upside.  At this point Reilly is what he is. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

meh, at best he's getting you a 4th or 5th round pick... we have like a thousand of those already.... As soon as Mete is back, I hope we never see him again. 

chiarot, mete and kulak will be the three LHD.   I see a huge difference between Kulak and Reilly..... Leskinen and Reilly less of a difference, but I'd still want Leskinen as he's younger and less experienced so more upside.  At this point Reilly is what he is. 

Dont get me wrong, i cringe seeing Reilly dress and he wont be missed but still signed till 20-21.