things are looking great for the habs

un_habitant

....but....

after some thought i honestly dont know what to expect for next season...

i can usually pinpoint general optimism for negativity for the upcoming season but 03-04 remains an enigma....

we have a warchest of prospects but still too much detritus to get rid of that leave roster spot specifics up in the air.

what do you guys think?

im not overly optimistic for the Habs for next season, however i love our future. What i'm looking for in the Habs for next year is to get a lot of young guys some games under their belt, and if our young guys contribute like they should, this season will be a success in my mind. Hopefully Theodore can regain his stellar play and carry us to the playoffs, but even if we don't make the playoffs, this season can still be an encouraging one for our habs depending on how the prospects develop.

Before I can say what the team will do this year I gotta wait until I know what the roster will look like on opening day.

Who will be bought out, who will be traded, who will remain... which kids will make the roster.

Once that is set, the second thing I'll be wanting to see is if the kids actually get to play real minutes in real situation... or whether we'll keep playing favorites with the vets.

To soon to make a call... could go either way at this point.

From another habs's Board:

Chantelois mentioned that it is probably cheaper to buy out McKay, Traverse, Czerkawski and Dykhuis than keeping them

That would be 2/3 of:

2.600 (Czerkawski)

2.125 (McKay)

1.500 (Dykhuis)

0.842 (Traverse)

7.67 x 2/3

$5.11 million

IMO, it would be cheaper to shove Traverse in Hamilton, especially with his low salary.

I was surprised to see McKay's name in there, as he said he'd be 'better' next season, and AS loves him like a son. I would prefer Juneau's name there instead (salary: $2.025 million).

It would make sense with the remaining players, Czerkawski and Dykhuis, although if Czerkawski goes to Europe, who we don't have to pay.

Maybe it'll turn out to be a staring contest, in which Bob gainey desperately tries to trade him over the summer.

Keep in mind Brisebois is yet to be traded, and that's $4 million of good money. And as long as we didn't get any NHL players in return (so just picks), that'd be a huge chunk back of the buy out.

And then there's the chance of Perreault going, and Dackell, and Souray, etc.

Unfortunately, how reliable is Chantelois?

2 down, 7 to go  

Brisebois, Perreault, Audette, Dackell, Dykhuis, Traverse, Blouin...  

aussie.. what do you have againts french canadians? 6/7 players you want to dump are quebecers :nono:

lol

seriously.. we cannot dump those players. they are a good part of the team. Brisebois is an important part of our defense, even if he makes errors. He is an important part of the powerplay. Still, Markov improved and he's now the #1, but if we trade Briser, who would be the #2 offensive dman? Rivet?

Audette is still one of our only few "skilled" players. One of the 3 habs players to have ever scored 30 goals (juneau, zednik) in the NHL. Perreault is the best faceoff center in the league.. his only problem is his lack of constency. If he accepts to play on the 3rd line the role juneau played, it would be great. Then we could get rid of Juneau who don't have offensive powers in him anymore. Still Yanic would have to improve his defensive game.. but that's not a big problem.. play good defensively is very easy to learn (well, not for everyone lol, talk to briser).

As for Dykhuis, Traverse, they are really good skaters, very talled.. that's all. I could agree to dump them for nothing.

Well, as for Briser, Perreault and Audette i don't think Gainey will buy out those 3 players contract.. that makes no sense.

:que:

Haha, I didn't realise that.

But still...

Brisebois: I didn't say that we wouldn't get anything back in return. However, Souray is an extra defensemen that we haven't had in a while. He could replace Brisebois.

Perreault: I think Ribeiro is doing well enough at the 2nd line Centre position, and between him and Perreault, he's (a) cheaper, (B) younger and © a playmaker. I'm sure that if we give him a full season, he could get close to Perreault's points. Sure, Perreault could stick around as 3rd line C for the moment, but do you really think he can be that defensive? I don't.

Audette: Again, we could get something in return. Given enough chances, the kids will perform. And I'd rather take a chance on a kid than another one on Audette.

Dackell: Roster is constricting. I don't hate Dackell, but Sundstrom is an upgrade. He could even get us a mid-round pick too.

Dykhuis: The only reason his contract wasn't bought out (yet) is because he will be traded. not sure who or when, but I really hope he does not play for the Habs again. Our defense is too full

Traverse: Fine, gone from the Montreal Canadiens, not from the Organization. Rot in Hell, er, Hamilton, that's what I say. Maybe he even does well with no expectations?

Blouin: You all don't want him either. At least that's agreed on.

IMO, Higgins will take over the 3rd line checking centre sometime in the future. Juneau is as good as gone, and I regret I haven't added him in my signature. I will fix that soon enough.

I appreciate what Perreault has done for us, but one by one, the old guys are taking a seat (or a walk) to let the young guys play.

A Youth Revolution is on its way, and we will reap the benefits in the future

Originally posted by un_habitant

what do you guys think?

I've been saying for awhile now , next year is a write-off ... The years after next year are key , all of our deadweight will disappear (UFA's) our young players will get better and better , our prospects will graduate to the team ... The team salary will go way down , and the talent level up...

I honestly dont expect much for next year , I'd like us to do well , but I'm not expecting it. What I do expect is an effort night in and night out , Gainey demands this from his teams , players who do not give full-efforts will be held accountable .... No more slackers on our team.

We might not have the talent to make the playoffs but if we give a good effort every night we might just squeak in...

Stuff I am hoping for next year...

- Koivu to play with good linemates for 82 games.

- *More consistency from : Kilger , Perreault , Rivet

- Continued progression of young players (Komisarek)

- Younger lineup

- Better special teams

- 01-02 version of Theodore

- Teammates standing up for each other!!! (example : PROTECT YOUR GOALIE!)

- No more defensive shells when we have 1 goal leads. (Will probably change under CJ anyways)

* = I mean good consistant , not bad.

.... And alot more stuff I cant think of right now...

If next year is a write off, and you want Jose to go similar to 01-02, isn't that a bit hypocritical.

There were 3 main differences last season to this season:

1.) Koivu was there the whole season

2.) Our special teams sucked

3.) Jose was not comparible to 01-02, particularily 1st half

If the second and third things go right next year, it can't be a write-off... can it?

Maybe something else will happen...

1.) Koivu gets injured doesn't play more than 10 games

2.) There's a massive drift in the lockerroom, between Francophones, Anglophones and Europeans, and the Habs fall into disarray

3.) We trade some youngbloods (completely against club policy) for Lindros, or Jagr, or some bum that doesn't perform to salary expectations

4.) I was going to say tons of injuries, but that wouldn't hurt too much, as we're really deep with prospects.

But with the Habs, who knows what they'll do

I wouldn't call next year a write-off, but we wont be serious Cup contenders. Next year will be about developping and evaluating the kids and the veterans to know who will be part of the Habs future.

For example, Im guessing that RIbeiro will be giving evrry opportunity to show what he can do. If he doesn't produce this year, I think he's gone.

However, I think a veteran like Rivet will also be evaluated. I think at this point he is part of the team's plans, if Habs management isn't happy with how he performs this year, he could be asked to leave to make room for a kid like Archer.

I predict that the team will make many experiements this year, while trying to provide a decent show for fans. How will the team do? It's impossible to tell for sure. It all depends on how some of the kids perform. I think we can make the playoffs, but without home ice advantage. But maybe we'll finish dead last (I dont think Florida will, not with all these great youngsters and perhaps the best goalie in the league), or maybe Ribs, Hossa, Komisarek, Ward, and Hainsey will all have strong seasons and we'll be the big surprise of the year... who knows?

We'll have to wait and see...

Alright guys you made your points ... "write-off" was probably the wrong thing to say , or maybe I didnt bring across my point very clearly. Next year any success that the habs achieve will be a bonus imo.

And Theodore playing at his 01-02 level does not guarantee team success , look at 01-02 ... I dont want to use the word "barely" but we came close to not making the playoffs. Though maybe I should of said "near his 01-02 level" instead of his "01-02 level"...