GAME#36 Habs@Oilers 7:00 EST Dec 21 2019

DON

Just now, sbhatt said:

Only 26 shots, a slew of penalties, and odd man rushes against...they were simply not very good tonight.

Habs outplayed them most of the game. The dumb penalties took away a lot of momentum.

It's the kind of game you can win when you have McDavid, and the kind of game you can lose when you don't have McDavid. 

25 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

Give price the shooter. Jesus. His north south numbers are phenomenal.  Cross crease are brutal.

I don't know why the defensive strategy is to try to pressure the carrier and then sprawl to block the pass.  That rarely works; it looks great when you do both but it doesn't happen enough to justify making that Plan A in those situations.  The Habs tried that twice tonight and went 0/2 and there's the difference in the game.

1 minute ago, Trizzak said:

Habs outplayed them most of the game. The dumb penalties took away a lot of momentum.

It's the kind of game you can win when you have McDavid, and the kind of game you can lose when you don't have McDavid. 

Agreed here.   Still 2-1-0 on the seven game road trip.  I think the goal has to be to get 8 or 9 points on the trip.  If you come out of this stretch with that, you can go home in the new year, happy with the results on a tough swing. 

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Our lack of any talent approaching McDavid and The German's level makes the 26 shots on net such a problem...our lineup isn't going to score 4+ many nights when taking less than 35 shots.  I figured we'd need 4 to get points tonight, given Edmonton's ability to score and Price's lack of heroics against them historically.  Turns out that was in fact the magic number.

7 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I have a bad feeling about this game. Oilers lost last night so they are a desperate team (have lost 4 in a row at home I think),  Habs are probably feeling pretty comfortable after 2 wins on the road. Oilers saved their best goalie for this game as Koskinen has played far better than Smith. Price never seems to play that well against the Oilers.  I hope I am dead wrong but I think the desperate teams wins tonight. 

Price played well IMHO, but this post was fairly prescient. 

An entertaining, spirited affair. Petry and Domi were excellent, obviously, but Fleury seemed to be on drugs or something. And gven the game plan - DON'T TAKE PENALTIES!! - it was a bit annoying that they took so many dumb ones.

Am I the only guy on earth who likes the Oil's 3rd jersey? I much prefer it to the gruesome colour scheme on display tonight.

55 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I don't know why the defensive strategy is to try to pressure the carrier and then sprawl to block the pass.  That rarely works; it looks great when you do both but it doesn't happen enough to justify making that Plan A in those situations.  The Habs tried that twice tonight and went 0/2 and there's the difference in the game.

Galley - whose commentary has improved considerably this year IMO - made this very point. It is a bit of a head-scratcher. Price is elite, he will stop the shooter unless it's a perfect shot. 

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Galley - whose commentary has improved considerably this year IMO - made this very point. It is a bit of a head-scratcher. Price is elite, he will stop the shooter unless it's a perfect shot. 

At one point Galley also made the point that as a defenceman he'd rather defend a 2 on 2 instead of a 2 on 1.... a point so mindnumblingly obvious that it made me scream NO SHIT SHERLOCK at the screen.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Am I the only guy on earth who likes the Oil's 3rd jersey? I much prefer it to the gruesome colour scheme on display tonight.

The orange is certainly distinctive, but I much prefer their classic blue sweaters -- or even the third sweater they have this year.

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

At one point Galley also made the point that as a defenceman he'd rather defend a 2 on 2 instead of a 2 on 1.... a point so mindnumblingly obvious that it made me scream NO SHIT SHERLOCK at the screen.

Ha ha, well, I never said that he was Howie Meeker 😉 I do think he has graduated from just offering opinions as a 'former player' to actually analyzing in-game situations on a semi-regular basis. Let's acknowledge improvement when we hear it... 

Just now, tomh009 said:

The orange is certainly distinctive, but I much prefer their classic blue sweaters -- or even the third sweater they have this year.

The third jersey looks like no other. I dig it. That said, I *am* colour blind, so my views on such matters may be a bit off-centre.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

For sure. Brian wilde discussed prices numbers on north south shots. He didn't give stats so it may have been anecdotal,  but I tend to agree. Take the pass and leave the shooter.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Price played well IMHO, but this post was fairly prescient. 

An entertaining, spirited affair. Petry and Domi were excellent, obviously, but Fleury seemed to be on drugs or something. And gven the game plan - DON'T TAKE PENALTIES!! - it was a bit annoying that they took so many dumb ones.

Price did play well,  best game he has played against the Oilers in a while.  The game was there for the taking against what I think is a fragile Oiler team right now.  Too many dumb penalties as you said.