2019-20 World Juniors Dec 26...Jan 2020

DON

Cole Caufield in 7-1  pre-tourny game … he has 4 of the goals.:hyper:

How many will he bury in this tourney.

I think "the Tsar" has 3 points in his game today vs Czech.

3 hours ago, JCPetit said:

Four shots on reception. One from his left side (he shoots right). Nobody close to that kind of hand-eye coordination in the line-up. Very few in the NHL IMO. Very impressive.

Who would be a NHL comparable for him? I keep thinking Martin St Louis, likely because of his stature and St Louis wasnt a real sniper and was more like Gallagher?

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Is there a list of Habs prospects who are at the tournament?

Russia

Romanov

Usa

Harris

Caufield

Sweden

Norlinder

Olofsson (made the team originally but injury will keep him out)

Dichow played in the B-tournament (Denmark)

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/44c1-2060014/WJC_Games_Notes_CANADA_12.26.19.pdf

USA pre-game notes

They have just 1 RH d-man on roster

Kaliyev 31g 62pts in 33gms (maybe shouldnt of dropped to 2nd round?).

Robertson 23g 22gms (also maybe dropped too much, due to being only 161lb no doubt)

Looks like Galenyuk on Russia is missing a couple of letters on the back of his jersey.

...and if he were to happen to be missing say, something like two letters on the back of his jersey, they may or may not be “CH” 😳 

Usa was better in the first.  It was close 5v5 but usa just made it lòok easy on the two pps.

Canada gets a 5v5 early in the second and dominates the period.  They score two pp goals too.  (10-1 in high danger shots that period)

Usa scores about a second too late at the end of 2nd but has 1:44 of pp time to start third.  Canada hasnt killed a pp yet

3-2 right now.

3 hours ago, DON said:

That french kid is pretty good eh.

He is pretty good. Shows you the difference 1 year can make in the development of a young hockey player.  He is ready for this tournament.

I thought Caulfield was barely noticeable but it's just 1 game, hopefully his bad games are against Canada. I think Quinton Byfield will be a beast. 

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who had Jordan Harris as the first Habs prospect to score a goal in the tourney?

Good to see him pot one!

What are your thoughts on how USA is utilizing Caufeild? Feels to me like he’s not getting much opportunity.

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Good to see him pot one!

What are your thoughts on how USA is utilizing Caufeild? Feels to me like he’s not getting much opportunity.

I don't understand it, after he scored so many goals in pre tournament, you'd think he'd be on the first PP and top line. 

That said he's not been at his best as he was in the 4 goal game either. 

Its a short tournament, remember Suzuki kinda sucked in this tourney last year, but it didn't take away from a great season in the OHL, and look where he is now. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't understand it, after he scored so many goals in pre tournament, you'd think he'd be on the first PP and top line. 

That said he's not been at his best as he was in the 4 goal game either. 

Its a short tournament, remember Suzuki kinda sucked in this tourney last year, but it didn't take away from a great season in the OHL, and look where he is now. 

Good point. A bad short tourney isn’t the end of the world. But I agree, I figured especially Caufeild would be on that top PP.

Some baffling coaching decisions I think though. I heard an announcer at one point say “that’s the first time I’ve seen turcotte and Caufeild line up together.” 

These guys already have chemistry from Wisconsin! It makes no sense not to try them together. Meanwhile zegras had 3 assists and was averaging 3-4 minutes a period. It seems like the coach has “his guys” and Caufeild may not be one. Crossing my fingers for him though 

1 hour ago, Meller93 said:

Good to see him pot one!

Don't like it one bit, you got Turcotte and Zegras, 2 great playmakers scattered around while a line of them 2 with Caufield would be wrecking havoc at any given moment. They would both benefit from a high percentage finisher like Caufield, and he would benefit from players able to find him every time he gets lost in the weeds.

U.S coach obviously has a strategy of his own, but I simply don't get it or like it, if you weren't planning on using Caufield as your version of Stamkos, why even bring him a long? Surely someone else would have been better suited to play 13 min with minimal PP time than him.

• Upvote 1