2019-20 World Juniors Dec 26...Jan 2020

DON

21 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Totally agree.  Another issue with MB has been rushing in 18 and 19 year olds before there ready, because it’s sooooooo hard to make a trade to fill your needs.  His big UFA signings haven’t inspired confidence - and no I’m not a chariot fan.  He’s leaps and bound better than Alzner, but basically is a #5 dman on a good team.

I'll say Chiarot is a legit #4, but he is being over-used big time. On KK, he'll have a long career for sure, but I'm increasingly skeptical that he will be anything more than a partial upgrade on Lars Eller. I do not believe we have the new Kopitar that some hoped; he may not even become an above-average #2 C. Hopefully this is wrong and he hits his stride at some point. But the contrast with Suzuki - who, while he does have much to learn, actually does exciting things and generates chances - may be telling. A *real* grade-A prospect comes in a makes an impact. KK had a job handed to him and was praised last season for surviving. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Let's not forget that Suzuki is two years older than Kotkaniemi was last year (and a year older now). And apart from that, different players develop at different rates. I really believe that it's too early to give up on Kotkaniemi.

11 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Let's not forget that Suzuki is two years older than Kotkaniemi was last year (and a year older now). And apart from that, different players develop at different rates. I really believe that it's too early to give up on Kotkaniemi.

Definitely. I do think Habs29 is right that he should have been left to marinade in the A, however.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Definitely. I do think Habs29 is right that he should have been left to marinade in the A, however.

Yes. A first pro season in Laval would surely have been better for his development. But that's water under the bridge, it's too late to do that now.

It's amazing how much a player actually develops and improves  at the early stages of their career.

Let's see where Kotkaniemi is next year. He'll be 20 and the same age as Poehling and Suzuki are today as an example. Nobody can discount the progression made in these early years of growth at the pro level. Most importantly, KK just isnt as developed physically yet.

Last year Suzuki was dominating kids in the OHL and to the contrary  Kotkaniemi is battling NHL talent, fighting injury spells in what can be perceived as a sophomore slump at the same age.

If you recall Suzuki at camp last year was just ordinary as w 19 yr old. Its amazing what one year has done for him.

Now keep in mind Suzuki has been absolutely amazing thus far. Everything I was "hoping and dreaming for". Hes dynamic and so smart on the ice. An absolute dream! But with that said, KK has put together some real quality games since his latest return. I've seen some chemistry developing with Poehling...  is he still making mistakes? Of course... it's part of the development.

So why exactly are we shitting on the 6th youngest player currently in the NHL.???

He'll be nothing more then Lars?

Well... Lars had 17 pts as a 3rd line C as a 21yr old in his first full season. Kk doubled that production in the same role at more then 3 years the  younger... 

Another often compared player Barkov (who's amazing btw)

KK  out paced him at the same age of 18 in his first season. Only difference was Barkov saw more TOI. How do we see Barkov today?

Kopitar had 60 pts in his 19 yr old rookie season which we can all agree is no comparison. But Kopitar came into the league as a physical specimen already! Similar to Brady Tckachuk being fully developed physically in size and strength.

Anyways my 2 cents on the already started feathering of Jesperi Kotkaniemi. Judgement and presumption of his career at this stage is premature and baseless personal opinion.

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. A first pro season in Laval would surely have been better for his development. But that's water under the bridge, it's too late to do that now.

Why? Was his development hindered last year? 

Is his development being hindered today?

The only thing that sucks about Kk playing at 18 is he will be a UFA earlier then 27.

• Upvote 1

Well, that wound up being quite the back and forth Gold Medal Game as Canada takes it 4-3.  Romanov finishes up as Russia's all-time +/- leader and points leader among defencemen in the tournament while also being on the tournament All-Star Team.

Final Montreal stats: http://www.habsworld.net/2019/12/2020-world-juniors-stattracker/

Woooo, heck of a third period!! Canada got a lot of calls there, including the apparent mistake about the puck hitting the camera. Tough one to take for the Russians, whose coach had a nose that puts Tim Hunter's in the shade.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Woooo, heck of a third period!! Canada got a lot of calls there, including the apparent mistake about the puck hitting the camera. Tough one to take for the Russians, whose coach had a nose that puts Tim Hunter's in the shade.

I think that decision on the delay of game was actually correct. IIHF rule 135 specifically excludes (from delay-of-game penalties) any structural objects above the ice surface. And the TSN camera is indeed partly over the ice surface. Not by much, but more than zero, so I think the call is correct.

ENjMW2nUYAAwZED?format=jpg

I thought the refereeing in the final was quite good. Some of the other games in the tournament, not so much.