Habs vs Canes Dec 31, 2019

Habsfan84

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The official ruling on the overturned goal:

Some of refs probably dont kow exact wording and go with how owners tell them to interpret rules.

I just try and look at those calls as "what if" opposing player contacts Price exact same, would i be OK with opposing goal called good and i would not of been. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

i would get rid of all the brass and scouting team personally. 

You and many might; but, Molson isnt.

And who could be hired... Roy, Mcguire? Or are there some younger and better options in Quebec, or some who can speak french "good enough"?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

I thought it was a bad call but they had 59 minutes to change the outcome of that game and they didnt. 

These guys need to be sellers at the deadline for sure. I didnt realize the draft was in Montreal, so a few extra #1's will be nice for the rebuild with some younger players. 

My question is do you want MB and this drafting team making those decisions, 4 out 5 years no playoffs, i would get rid of all the brass and scouting team personally. 

This team will miss the playoffs again, with their perpetual in-between status of “retooling on the fly” which is now on year 3, 4,or 5???  can’t remember, because ever year is Groundhog Day with the habs.

This is a good draft, may as well make a commitment on going all in on the draft and trying to get more lottery picks and improving their lottery position.

They need to move their over 30 players, because if and when they ever become a team that is a legitimately consistent playoff team/contender, those players will be nothing more than a cap drain and unmovable.

But chances are Molson will allow the Groundhog Day management team to go on for another 2 or 3 years.  Before MB gets fired, he will probably get another chance to wait until Vigneult gets fired, so he can bring him back as a coach.

As far as hiring goes, 

I dont know, i would stop with the retreads, maybe looking and thinking outside the box for a change. 

getting a GM, coaching staff and drafting team on the same page would be nice. 

CJ and MT who have both been recycled through the habs have the same system. they need big grinding forwards, MB gives them small fast smurfs, Who would possibly think it wouldnt work out? 

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity

27 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

This team will miss the playoffs again, with their perpetual in-between status of “retooling on the fly” which is now on year 3, 4,or 5???  can’t remember, because ever year is Groundhog Day with the habs.

This is a good draft, may as well make a commitment on going all in on the draft and trying to get more lottery picks and improving their lottery position.

They need to move their over 30 players, because if and when they ever become a team that is a legitimately consistent playoff team/contender, those players will be nothing more than a cap drain and unmovable.

But chances are Molson will allow the Groundhog Day management team to go on for another 2 or 3 years.

It's the eternal three-year "window," which I was referring to earlier in this thread. "Don't worry, this team will be great in three years." Problem is, we said that last year, and we're still saying it this year. And we'll probably still be saying it next year. 🙄 Everything is just fine as long as management can spin a credible narrative that there is quality talent in the system; who cares about actual results? It's so much more fun fantasizing about a hypothetical future excellence which never seems to materialize. That, in a nutshell, is about 50% of the Habs fanbase.

Now I have no doubt the Habs have good prospects in the system and quality youth already on the club. Suzuki is the real deal IMHO - a rare case of a Habs rookie who actually looks good as a rookie, which is, I believe, increasingly a reliable indicator of whether the player will ever be an impact guy. (Note that this critereon has ominous implications for KoKo, who has yet to look especially great). Book Suzuki to become a dynamic first-line player. Poehling looks to be a rock-solid impact bottom-6 FW, who may be useable in the top-6 and on the PP: super strong on the boards and hard to play against. Cool, we haven't had a guy like that since maybe Corson. Mete is a very nice all-around D-man, a legit #4. Romanov may emerge as the impact LD we need, Caulfield may become Cammalleri. And so on.

You can add to that Domi, who is hard to figure but definitely has value, and Drouin, who may or may not evolve beyond his current "Galchenyuk" status.

And by the time these guys are hitting their primes, Weber, Price, Petry, and Gallagher will probably be on the decline. Plus the fact that we keep delaying the young players' opportunity to garner invaluable playoff experience will further push back that magical moment when they are actually positioned for a run. Oh, well. That's OK, because when our current generation of best players is phasing out and the Habs are still not elite contenders, we'll just tell ourselves that there are more cool new prospects somewhere in the system. The eternal sunshine of the spotless 3-year window.

(And please note that I would be less cynical if I saw any indication that MB is in fact working to improve the current team in any way, shape, or form, on the understanding that making the playoffs is important. But why should he? Everyone is happy with the three-year window).

59 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's the eternal three-year "window," which I was referring to earlier in this thread. "Don't worry, this team will be great in three years." Problem is, we said that last year, and we're still saying it this year. And we'll probably still be saying it next year. 🙄 Everything is just fine as long as management can spin a credible narrative that there is quality talent in the system; who cares about actual results? It's so much more fun fantasizing about a hypothetical future excellence which never seems to materialize. That, in a nutshell, is about 50% of the Habs fanbase.

Now I have no doubt the Habs have good prospects in the system and quality youth already on the club. Suzuki is the real deal IMHO - a rare case of a Habs rookie who actually looks good as a rookie, which is, I believe, increasingly a reliable indicator of whether the player will ever be an impact guy. (Note that this critereon has ominous implications for KoKo, who has yet to look especially great). Book Suzuki to become a dynamic first-line player. Poehling looks to be a rock-solid impact bottom-6 FW, who may be useable in the top-6 and on the PP: super strong on the boards and hard to play against. Cool, we haven't had a guy like that since maybe Corson. Mete is a very nice all-around D-man, a legit #4. Romanov may emerge as the impact LD we need, Caulfield may become Cammalleri. And so on.

You can add to that Domi, who is hard to figure but definitely has value, and Drouin, who may or may not evolve beyond his current "Galchenyuk" status.

And by the time these guys are hitting their primes, Weber, Price, Petry, and Gallagher will probably be on the decline. Plus the fact that we keep delaying the young players' opportunity to garner invaluable playoff experience will further push back that magical moment when they are actually positioned for a run. Oh, well. That's OK, because when our current generation of best players is phasing out and the Habs are still not elite contenders, we'll just tell ourselves that there are more cool new prospects somewhere in the system. The eternal sunshine of the spotless 3-year window.

(And please note that I would be less cynical if I saw any indication that MB is in fact working to improve the current team in any way, shape, or form, on the understanding that making the playoffs is important. But why should he? Everyone is happy with the three-year window).

I think this forum is reflective of most of what most of the habs fanbase has become now.  We lost, but can't complain, that was a real exciting game!  we just got a couple of bad bounces.  Price let in 6, but only one was really his fault the other were the result of poor defensive coverage or just bad bounces.  The defence really isn't that bad either.  Kulak's stats show he is better than what he looks like.  Chariot is a great pickup - i guess everything is relative, with previous pickups like Alzner, Douglas Murrey and i don't even know what Reilly is doing in the NHL.  The Gary Bettman NHL promotes and rewards mediocrity and most habs fans have  bought into it - because its just so hard to win now and you can't expect to have a dynasty (ignore the fact that both the pens and hawks have won 3 cups and while SJS have never won, they are always a strong team (since early-mid 2000 they have been a very competitive team, with a few bad years, but have a very aggressive GM.  On the other hand, the habs have had a lot of horrible to mediocre teams with a coupe of good teams.  I get we aren't going to win 5 or 6 cups in a  decade anymore, but with a competent management there is no reason why we can't be a consistently competitive team that has a CHANCE of winning, because they are a well managed team.

We are supposed to be  team that is building through the draft, but can't develop worth shit, unless there is a rare player that looks ready when he gets here (i.e. Suzuki). We rushed KK in, just we rushed in Galchenyuk, Ribeiro, Latendresse before him. Why?  The team sucks with the 12 4th liners/marginal 3rd liners MB likes to stock up on, so there is room in the lineup, plus, the coaching staff at Laval historically couldn't develop shit and it only took MB 6 years to can his chummy childhood friends.  The mediocre management team is allowed to continue, because the fanbase is happy to see the occasional fun game, winning is secondary.  It's not for me.  I hate losing.  It's one thing to see a good competitive team lose because it wasn't in the cards and the parity that is in the NHL.  TBL were a great team last year that deserved better, but things have to go right to win a cup (like it did for us in 93 - we were a good team, but not the top contender).  That's really all i want and all you can hope for in the bettman era, but i can't watch a poorly constructed team with more holes than swiss cheese that can get lucky at times. but really is not one that has any real chance of success.

I used to spend every available moment following the habs even during the horrible Houle years (with a 2 year hiatus back than).  Being a fan for 44 years, i follow by habit, but haven't watched a full game in a long time and don't expect much to change until there is a cultural change at the management team level.  It starts with ownership/president/gm level, which we have probably one of the worst in the league. yet most here are happy with the direction, because we are better than we were during the 27th or 28th place finishes.  It's not for me.  Like i said i follow the team by habit, but don't have much expectations. I spend a lot more free time on photography, working out, watching old films, and way more times on car forums than following hockey or on hockey forums now.

33 minutes ago, Chris said:

Im not a hockey genius,

I am pretty sure i could GM a team that could miss the playoffs 5 out 8 years, 

I would do it for half of what MB makes

But are you french?  that's more important than winning.

Suzuki 20:26 and Poehling 15:52 nice amount of icetime for couple kids.

Mete really showed his speed on several plays since returning, very useful.

Nice game from Lindgren.

13 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think this forum is reflective of most of what most of the habs fanbase has become now.  We lost, but can't complain, that was a real exciting game!  we just got a couple of bad bounces.  Price let in 6, but only one was really his fault the other were the result of poor defensive coverage or just bad bounces.  The defence really isn't that bad either.  Kulak's stats show he is better than what he looks like.  Chariot is a great pickup - i guess everything is relative, with previous pickups like Alzner, Douglas Murrey and i don't even know what Reilly is doing in the NHL.  The Gary Bettman NHL promotes and rewards mediocrity and most habs fans have  bought into it - because its just so hard to win now and you can't expect to have a dynasty (ignore the fact that both the pens and hawks have won 3 cups and while SJS have never won, they are always a strong team (since early-mid 2000 they have been a very competitive team, with a few bad years, but have a very aggressive GM.  On the other hand, the habs have had a lot of horrible to mediocre teams with a coupe of good teams.  I get we aren't going to win 5 or 6 cups in a  decade anymore, but with a competent management there is no reason why we can't be a consistently competitive team that has a CHANCE of winning, because they are a well managed team.

We are supposed to be  team that is building through the draft, but can't develop worth shit, unless there is a rare player that looks ready when he gets here (i.e. Suzuki). We rushed KK in, just we rushed in Galchenyuk, Ribeiro, Latendresse before him. Why?  The team sucks with the 12 4th liners/marginal 3rd liners MB likes to stock up on, so there is room in the lineup, plus, the coaching staff at Laval historically couldn't develop shit and it only took MB 6 years to can his chummy childhood friends.  The mediocre management team is allowed to continue, because the fanbase is happy to see the occasional fun game, winning is secondary.  It's not for me.  I hate losing.  It's one thing to see a good competitive team lose because it wasn't in the cards and the parity that is in the NHL.  TBL were a great team last year that deserved better, but things have to go right to win a cup (like it did for us in 93 - we were a good team, but not the top contender).  That's really all i want and all you can hope for in the bettman era, but i can't watch a poorly constructed team with more holes than swiss cheese that can get lucky at times. but really is not one that has any real chance of success.

I used to spend every available moment following the habs even during the horrible Houle years (with a 2 year hiatus back than).  Being a fan for 44 years, i follow by habit, but haven't watched a full game in a long time and don't expect much to change until there is a cultural change at the management team level.  It starts with ownership/president/gm level, which we have probably one of the worst in the league. yet most here are happy with the direction, because we are better than we were during the 27th or 28th place finishes.  It's not for me.  Like i said i follow the team by habit, but don't have much expectations. I spend a lot more time on car forums than hockey forums now.

I had to scroll back up to double check who wrote this because it is the most clear and concise post you ever wrote. Got your points across well and I didn't have to filter out any anger and extreme bias. 2020 new year, new Hab29

8 hours ago, Chris said:

CJ and MT who have both been recycled through the habs have the same system. they need big grinding forwards, MB gives them small fast smurfs, Who would possibly think it wouldnt work out? 

Maybe I'm the odd one out, or just an idiot. But, personally, I would not want to see a future Habs team full of just hulking grinders. To me, the style of hockey the team is playing today is good, we just need to be better at it.

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

But are you french?  that's more important than winning.

Not more important. But being able to communicate with (half) the fans is a prerequisite, so some French skill is required.

12 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Maybe I'm the odd one out, or just an idiot. But, personally, I would not want to see a future Habs team full of just hulking grinders. To me, the style of hockey the team is playing today is good, we just need to be better at it.

And add an elite all star forward, a puny Patrick Kane would be OK I guess, even though he isnt a big forward, he isnt a soft Swede or temperamental Russian neither, so could still be Harold Ballard, Chris, or Don Cherry approved.:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, tomh009 said:

There is no question that you can have success in today's NHL with a fast, skilled, deep team that isn't especially big. The question is whether you can win the Cup that way, given that the way the game is called changes radically the minute the playoffs start. Because the NHL is run by imbeciles.

I don't know the answer to the question. But I do know that there is a difference between being a playoff team and being a contender, and that teams of the former stripe usually need experience to figure out how to become the latter. Thus, every year the Habs miss the playoffs likely means a longer wait until we become contenders (if we ever do).

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is no question that you can have success in today's NHL with a fast, skilled, deep team that isn't especially big. The question is whether you can win the Cup that way, given that the way the game is called changes radically the minute the playoffs start. Because the NHL is run by imbeciles.

I don't know the answer to the question. But I do know that there is a difference between being a playoff team and being a contender, and that teams of the former stripe usually need experience to figure out how to become the latter. Thus, every year the Habs miss the playoffs likely means a longer wait until we become contenders (if we ever do).

Size definitely helps in the playoffs, but it has to be skilled size with speed or a very high hockey IQ. Hopefully we never see a Douglas Murray or George Parros, or a wasted 1st round pick on a McCarron type on the habs ever again.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How big were last years bruins who came a win away from a cup.  With 4 of their 6 starting defencemen at 6'0 and below.  Their forwards werent particularly big either and one of the bigger ones (Backes) was a regular healthy scratch.

These arent the big, bad bruins.

The detroit dynasty were small when compared to league averages. The Chicago dynasty, I believe were in the bottom half of the league when compared to league average.  Pittsburgh, I'm not sure. But I dont think they were huge. Heavy can win but so can skill. 

55 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

The detroit dynasty were small when compared to league averages. The Chicago dynasty, I believe were in the bottom half of the league when compared to league average.  Pittsburgh, I'm not sure. But I dont think they were huge. Heavy can win but so can skill. 

Chicago was bottom 2 in the league in 2010 and 2013... we were the only team smaller.