Habs vs Canes Dec 31, 2019

Habsfan84

We're underway and still no gamethread so might as well post one.

Lindgren gets the start and Vejdemo makes his debut. Barber takes a seat (not like he was getting much icetime anyways).

Already a power play goal by former Hab Aho (not really) and Domi continues on with his hot streak. 1-1. 

I'll be shocked if #11 does not have a concussion. That was a brutal bash to the coconut.

I do not understand that goalie interference call. Announcer guy is right, Danault practically bent over backwards to get out of the goalie's face.

The Habs have been nothing special tonight, but come on. A team needs to get a break here and there - which includes NOT getting stiffed by bizarre judgements from Toronto.

Lindgren playing great.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Annnnnd, your Montreal Canadiens end yet another decade of mediocrity in the most fitting way possible: with a loss.

Yep and unfortunately all the other teams are winning.

Terrible time to go on a 3 game losing streak but it is what it is.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do not understand that goalie interference call. Announcer guy is right, Danault practically bent over backwards to get out of the goalie's face.

A lot seems to depend on the referee.  Some take that into consideration, others don't.  The longer that call went, you knew they were looking for a reason to call it back.

3 minutes ago, Scott462 said:

Yep and unfortunately all the other teams are winning.

Terrible time to go on a 3 game losing streak but it is what it is.

Yup, if they don't turn it around quick the entry draft will be a big focus again. They have a lost a ton of ground very quickly. 

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

A lot seems to depend on the referee.  Some take that into consideration, others don't.  The longer that call went, you knew they were looking for a reason to call it back.

NHL ‘Justice’ continues to be as arbitrary as North Korea’s, but what else is new. 

25 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup, if they don't turn it around quick the entry draft will be a big focus again. They have a lost a ton of ground very quickly. 

A loss to Tampa on Thursday will pretty much seal a lost season. I know they can't be expected to win every important game, but 3 straight losses to teams they're chasing in the standings at the mid-point of the season, well...

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Streaming does work there if you have a decent mobile connection!

I know... but i dont want to spend the middle of the day sitting and watching hockey with the prices im paying on vacation.  Games start at 10:00 am

28 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

That was an atrocious decision. Textbook pushed in case. I never knew what goaltender interference was. I still dont.

They don’t know either - which is probably how they like it. Gives them room to act according to arbitrary personal preferences (they like/don’t like player X, goalie Y, Ref Z, coach A. etc.).

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Doesn’t matter if we make the playoffs, remember? We’re guaranteed to win the Cup three years from now 😬

23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Doesn’t matter if we make the playoffs, remember? We’re guaranteed to win the Cup three years from now 😬

I wasn't aware of that guarantee but you are a smart Hab fan so I will assume you are correct that this guarantee came from somewhere.  My hope is that MB doesn't make a bad decision to help them short term.  I know it's been a long time since the Habs won the cup and I know there is frustration from not making the playoffs recently. But I hope MB stays the course and continues to build with the kids. I like KK, I like Suzuki, I like Romanov, I like Poehling. I hope he doesn't trade any of those guys because the Habs aren't winning the cup this year anyway.  Time for another beer.

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I wasn't aware of that guarantee but you are a smart Hab fan so I will assume you are correct that this guarantee came from somewhere.  My hope is that MB doesn't make a bad decision to help them short term.  I know it's been a long time since the Habs won the cup and I know there is frustration from not making the playoffs recently. But I hope MB stays the course and continues to build with the kids. I like KK, I like Suzuki, I like Romanov, I like Poehling. I hope he doesn't trade any of those guys because the Habs aren't winning the cup this year anyway.  Time for another beer.

He is a smart fan, but a bit more of a sarcastic fan lately. No one is any official capacity guaranteed a Cup. 

Looking pretty safe for Habs to book that Sun morning April 5th tee time.

Sure hope Gallagher is going to be OK and not a long term injury.

Tough luck for Poehling, but with Danault on top of goalie, he didnt even have chance to stop shot.

Anyways, happy new year.

The official ruling on the overturned goal:

Challenge Initiated By: Carolina

Type of Challenge: Goaltender Interference

Result: Original call is overturned - No Goal Montreal

Explanation: Video review determined Montreal's Phillip Danault made contact with Petr Mrazek, which impaired Mrazek's ability to play his position in the crease prior to Ryan Poehling's goal. According to Rule 38.11, "The standard for overturning the call in the event of a "GOAL" call on the ice is that the NHL Situation Room, after reviewing any and all replays and consulting with the On-Ice Official(s), determines that the goal should have been disallowed due to "Interference on the Goalkeeper," as described in Rules 69.1, 69.3 and 69.4".

So here is part of Rule 69.1:

If an attacking player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by a defending player so as to cause him to come into contact with the goalkeeper, such contact will not be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, provided the attacking player has made a reasonable effort to avoid such contact.

They're saying Danault could have done something more to avoid contact.  That's an interesting interpretation.

I thought it was a bad call but they had 59 minutes to change the outcome of that game and they didnt. 

These guys need to be sellers at the deadline for sure. I didnt realize the draft was in Montreal, so a few extra #1's will be nice for the rebuild with some younger players. 

My question is do you want MB and this drafting team making those decisions, 4 out 5 years no playoffs, i would get rid of all the brass and scouting team personally.