Is our plan flawed?

REV-G

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but when we draft from 20-32 we have a zero success rate in drafting players in the first round. But when we draft from under 20 meaning 3-19 (never had a 1st or 2nd)  we do have a pretty high success rate in drafting players in the first round.

You can slice and dice up Timmins picks till cows come home, but it has been shown over and over to be above average overall.

6 minutes ago, DON said:

You can slice and dice up Timmins picks till cows come home, but it has been shown over and over to be above average overall.

I'm a Timmins fan (and if you'll excuse the analogy from another sport) it is better going 3/4 with three singles than going 1/4 with a home run and 3 strikeouts...

But I'd really like to see a home run soon. 

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'm a Timmins fan (and if you'll excuse the analogy from another sport) it is better going 3/4 with three singles than going 1/4 with a home run and 3 strikeouts...

But I'd really like to see a home run soon. 

Aren't 

Pacioretty 

Price 

Subban 

Mcdonagh 

Gallagher 

Halak 

Home runs?

The pool is universally seen as a top 5 pool in the league.  Its hard to argue that, when its not coming from Habs fans but a number of unbiased sources like TSN, The Athletic, and others. 

The scouting has a lot to do with that. 

38 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Aren't 

Pacioretty 

Price 

Subban 

Mcdonagh 

Gallagher 

Halak 

Home runs?

We are so far removed from those picks. 2010 (Gallagher) being the most recent. Then 2007...2005, 2003. But hey, we won the Cup in '93!

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The pool is universally seen as a top 5 pool in the league.  Its hard to argue that, when its not coming from Habs fans but a number of unbiased sources like TSN, The Athletic, and others. 

The scouting has a lot to do with that. 

It probably reads along the lines of “great depth, but few blue chippers in the system.  Caufield has the tools to be an elite scorer, but we’ll have to see how his game translates to the NHL.” I hope I’m wrong, but like CC, I’ve heard for years how the youth is coming....and it never comes.

5 minutes ago, huzer said:

It probably reads along the lines of “great depth, but few blue chippers in the system.  Caufield has the tools to be an elite scorer, but we’ll have to see how his game translates to the NHL.” I hope I’m wrong, but like CC, I’ve heard for years how the youth is coming....and it never comes.

Button's prospect list has two Habs amongst the top 10 in the entire league, with Romanov at 5 and Caufield at 10.   That kind of projection has Romanov as a top pair player (not next year, but eventually). 

This is still with guys under 21 currently in the NHL in Mete, Fleury, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Poehling. 

The current group is already ahead of anything the DeLaRose, Collberg, Fucale, etc... group ever did.  I don't see the reason to be negative on them. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, REV-G said:

I think I'm speaking for many of you. I'm frustrated and getting fed up.

I have followed the Habs for many many years. I remember Gump Worsley with no mask and the night Rogatien Vachon and Ken Dryden both made their first starts. So I have been surprised that lately my passion is waning, I'm losing interest, I'm not watching games that I would have other years. So here is some venting, some thoughts and questions about our team. 

Why are we sitting on millions of unspent dollars every year for the past few when there are obvious needs that should be filled?  What are we waiting for? We're waiting for younger guys to develop but our older core, Carey Price and Shea Weber, are getting older. It appears to me that we need to add one or two defenceman and a good scoring forward at least but Bergevin hasn't done anything so far. Do we have to wait until we fall so far out of contention that there's no hope before he does something? 

I have to admit I have been on and off the bandwagon with Marc Bergevin over the past 3 years. Two years ago I thought he had to go but last year I was surprised, along with many others I'm sure, that the moves we made getting KK, Domi, Tatar and Suzuki turned out so well. This year it seems we're scoring goals and our PP has improved but our defence at times seems to go from being good to awful. Overall Carey Price has not played so great and I have always been a strong supporter of his.  So we have to ask, why hasn't MB brought in help? He can't keep saying that it's too hard to find good defenceman who could help us. We have money and picks and some players that we could move, Byron [when he's healthy], Thompson, Reilly and some younger guys in the AHL that combined with some creativity could surely improve our current defence. Even one defenceman?? That has to be doable! Clearly Bergevin's plan is to keep adding young assets. I think we have 12 picks this year? And I understand that this draft is supposed to be very deep and the best in many years. But it's time to move some parts to get better now. For example, do we have enough pieces, I know we'd have to sell the farm, to get Alexis Lafreniere? Would it be worth trading anyone on our roster, plus multiple picks, plus, plus......to try to get a potential french superstar?? What would Sam Pollock do? He'd try something I'm sure. 

If we look at our roster this year and add Romanov next year or another young guy, will that make that much of a difference?? Are we going to be much of a different team next year or will it be the same again. Wouldn't the addition of two good forwards and two good defenceman make a pretty good difference. Shouldn't that have been done already. Aho was at least a plan, but probably flawed. But how would we look with him in our lineup? Why didn't we do something else? 

I'm sure Geoff Molson will give MB at least this year or maybe until we fall out of a playoff spot before he'll contemplate making a change but for me, I think the clock has to be ticking on MB's position. It's time for one of two people to make changes. Either Marc Bergevin or Geoff Molson. We can't keep stumbling along in the middle of the pack or a bit lower year after year. MB is in his 7th year. It's time for some major changes. 

What do you think? 

REV-G , this was a good question a year ago.

what do you think now?

That's interesting to look back at a post from a year ago and evaluate if anything has changed. 

I really like the changes MB made and I'll say what many said during the offseason, he checked off all the boxes. Obviously all of want to get better players at all positions but in the real world, I think MB did very well with what he had and what was available and I think we have seen a fairly major uptick in our depth, talent and the obvious needs that we had and were addressed.

I think that if they play well as a team we can now compete with anyone. Do we have the best talent? No. But as a group with the system we're playing I think when we play together in our system we can beat anyone. 

Specifically, we obviously improved our goalie situation. We now have the best goaltending duo in the league. That's what I believe. Our backup can now play against any team and we would expect a win. The fact that Carey Price can have games off to rest, especially in a condensed schedule, will make his life more enjoyable and fun and going into the playoffs, a given for me as long as we're relatively heathy and nothing crazy happens, covid, he will be rested and should be on top of his game. 

I think we have the best and improved group of defencemen that I have seen for quite some time. I love Romanov but it's still early so we'll need more time but early on he looks great. 

Again it's early with only having played 3 games but it looks like Anderson was a great pickup and I really like Jake Evans. So when you look at our four lines and the experience waiting on the taxi squad it should give every one of us real hope and an excitement to see what we can do this year. 

So a year later my take is that I think MB really did step up to the plate and finally spent the money to add needed depth players, two defencmen ( Edmonston and Romanov), two top 6 forwards and probably the best backup goalie in the league. So things have changed and we have to give MB credit. I guess some of us would say, "what took you so long" but that's easy to say for armchair quarterbacks. I know I'm biased but I think we have the best team in Canada. I genuinely like our team better than Toronto's. They may have a stronger top 4 with Matthews, Marner, Taveres and Nylander, but we're better in the remaining 20 players or so, especially with our D-men and especially our goaltending. This year should be a fun year for us. It will be very interesting to see how far we go. 

Thanks for the question. 

Thanks @REV-G for sharing your thoughts.

I would like to add a couple of other points:

1. The Habs cap situation is manageable (despite Alzner's buy-out)

2. The prospect talent level is still very good

3. The Habs contract/salary structure is really good (including a handful of generous contracts)

4. We now have an ECHL affiliate (with minimal investment from Habs)

5. The Seattle protection list has become a no-brainer, given the depth of the club

I still don't know what it will take to make the Habs a favorite to win the Stanley Cup; but we are getting closer.