koivu for one year

westcoasthabfan

As reported by RDS

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/185823.html

Koivu has signed for one year. The value of teh contract was not stated but the one year deal paves the way for Saku to enter unrestricted free agency next summer. Perhaps Saku is thinking about testing teh waters next year or maybe Gainey is hoping to bring in a top notch young centerman via free agency next summer? I guess time will tell.

Well, I don't know what's going on in either one's head but I hope that this isn't a sign of Montreal dumping their captain again. :eyes:

A lot of good players, as captain, were let go in the last two decades. Koivu has worn the C for quite a few years and he deserves it. :king:

I'm thinking it's probably more Koivu who wants to see what's going to happen next year than Gainey setting up to dump him. We'll see. :?-

:ghg::ghg::ghg:

[Edited on 2005/8/15 by shortcat1]

By the way, welcome to the gang. :clap: You'll see all sorts of topics with all sorts of opinions from all sorts of people. Very informative at it's best :/) and quite entertaining at it's not best.:o

I think the one year deal will be good for Koivu and the Canadiens, as it will allow a market value to be determined. So far I don't think Koivu has earned a $3.5 Million dollar salary, but I also do think he'd been healthy enough, or had enough talent around him to produce like he probably can. If he can stay healthy (75+ games), and play the entire year with Zednick and Kovalev, I think he can produce a point a game if the obstruction crackdown actually sticks past Novemeber. I think we got a good taste of what this line can do, in the playoffs against Boston, and I think Kovalev is capable of 85+ points, Koivu 70+ points and I think Zednick can score 35 goals.

IF he can show that he can stay healthy, and produce this year, then I wouldn't have a problem with the Habs signing him to a long term deal next summer provided someone like Lecavalier doesn't sign longterm in Tampa Bay, then I think you have to look at dumping Koivu and signing Lecavalier, although thats a longshot at best.

[Edited on 2005/8/15 by kaos]

Trade Ribs, Resign Koivu for the rest of his career and sign Lecavalier for his career. TOP center Lecavalier and 2nd line center Koivu. Captain Koivu stays a habs and all are happy (except maybe Ribs).

Btw. We get another good Dman for Ribs (not Lidström but maybe a Kim Johnsson-kind of Dman)

Go for it Gainey... Ive just done all work for you and all you have to do is make it true :)

:ghg:

good question

personaly, I think signing koivu for year is a blessing, I see him getting traded at the trade dealine for a first round choice...but maybe i'm just daydreaming !!

ok....koivu traded, i dont think so he said he wants to end his career in mtl and hopfuly he shall.

hes a great player for his size and with zednik and kovalev along side him it will be great, in the play offs he always progresses better and better every year

hes a true capitain and iam sure koivu took his qualifiyin offer thats why its one year , iam sure next season he will sign for dependin on how he plays even tho he a good player.

The one year deal is a good move. Locking up a guy as brittle as Koivu would be sentimental rather than intelligent. While the guy's intangibles rate through the roof, his terrible knee injuries unfortunately turned what should have been a superstar career into something merely solid. Bottom line: he's one of the great Habs in terms of heart and what he's gone through, but he's not in the upper echelons of NHL first-line centremen. He'd be a 2nd line centre on a truly strong team.

On an article in RDS.ca, Koivu himself admitted that he had hoped to sign a long-term contract but that as the summer wore on the idea of a one-year contract suited him quite well also. It says that he doesn't dismiss the idea of staying with Montreal but that he had to think of his future.

The link is: http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/185852.html

And I fully agree with you. He may not be the best thing for the Canadiens on the ice for now but as I've stated before, I do believe that a player worth is more than the skills he brings to the team.

Koivu is a leader, a motivator, an example, a heart to this team. To just let him go for solely bang-for-the-buck financial considerations would show a narrow sense of vision.

On the other hand, he also has a say in whether he's willing to accept what will be offered to him next year. He has said that he'd like to continue playing here and winning the Stanley cup here (http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/185852.html) so I hope that this can come to fruition. I do deplore the passing of the days of player/team relationships like Yzerman and the Red Wings.

would have preferred 2-3 years but I don't think Koivu is the sort of guy who will put Bob over a barrel next summer if he has an 85+ point season this year. Agreed?

I agree with you. From what I've seen so far he doesn't look to be a prima donna kind of guy.

I'm sure that he will do the best for himself and his family in the long run but I don't think he will do it at the expense of (that is running rough shod over) other people, especially the team that he 'grew up with' over the years and looks to have fully supported him in his times of difficulty.

Here's hoping anyway.

That's a nice salary to work with. It's definitely not a slap in the face. Taking into account the 24% roll-back from the 3.3 million he had in 2003-04, it's like a 20% increase. :contract:

It's definitely a vote of confidence for him. It's not at Kovalev's level but I'm sure that Koivu understands the ins-and-outs of that kind of thing in sports. As I said earlier, he doesn't seem to be a prima donna who's only on the lookout for himself. He's a class player and person. :bow: :king: :bow:

Another thumbs up, Bob. :/)

I expect him to sign a long-term deal one day with the Habs since many people expected Koivu's one year deal to be his kiss of death with rumors of being replaced by Lecavalier next season.

Doubt that will happen any time soon, or should I say in four years.

*dramatic music*