Scandella to CH for 2020 4th round pick

alfredoh2009

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Google machine is mixed on Scandella. Hockey Forecaster, for instance, says he can handle big minutes but can be burned by fast FWs. Sounds like a #5 who might gust upward to a #4 if the stars align. One thing is that BUF is kind of in melt-down mode, so he may play better in a new environment, with a new coach.

I think he was that when Buffalo got him but he's more of a 5/6 than a 4/5 right now.  I suspect he'll get a chance in the top four with Petry (or Weber if they want to move Chiarot back down) at some point in the hopes that the change of scenery will give him a boost but I wouldn't be shocked if he just winds up being a safe veteran for Fleury to play with.  All things considered, that still wouldn't be a bad outcome either.

11 hours ago, JCPetit said:

On Overdrive (TSN), they clearly said that he wasn’t playing a lot lately. McKenzie did say that Buffalo tried to trade him from the start of the season. They felt that they were overcrowded on defense and wanted to go with younger players. His salary didn’t help obviously.

His playing time was pretty consistent even in the last few weeks where he played about his season average each game.  He was a regular on their third pairing most nights right up to the game before the trade.

20 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think he was that when Buffalo got him but he's more of a 5/6 than a 4/5 right now.  I suspect he'll get a chance in the top four with Petry (or Weber if they want to move Chiarot back down) at some point in the hopes that the change of scenery will give him a boost but I wouldn't be shocked if he just winds up being a safe veteran for Fleury to play with.  All things considered, that still wouldn't be a bad outcome either

Agreed. Initially I thought of Scandella as a top-4 guy from his Minny days, but on reflection that was grossly optimistic. Even a solid bottom-pairing LD is an asset to this group, however, so it's a good deal provided he doesn't end up in the pressbox.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Cant have enough solid bottom pair d-men 

You're probably being sarcastic, but actually there is something to this. A "solid" bottom-pairing guy is important - and distinct from the in-and-outers like Reilly or, this season, Kulak.

1 minute ago, Chris said:

If he is an upgrade on Kulak or Mete and can bring down Chairot's minutes it's a plus

I thought he was a midget, he is 6'3 and 210 

His advanced stats are better than Kulak, but he has been prone to turnovers in the last few seasons. On good nights he is better than Mete, but not for long stretches.

He is the new Jordie Benn

Im not an advanced stats guy, I read he is a good skater and can move the puck a bit 

Some people consider Kulak a top 4 Dman with advanced stats, dont see that at all

26 minutes ago, Chris said:

Some people consider Kulak a top 4 Dman with advanced stats, dont see that at all

I have tar and feathers ready for these people... address please 🤪

A nice two-minute clip of Scandella on TSN:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/scandella-it-s-been-my-dream-come-true-to-play-here~1867174

Seems like a nice guy, and I really do believe that he is (and his grandmother is!) super excited that he'll be playing for the Habs. Now let's see what he can do, and whether he can adjust to Julien's system.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

His advanced stats are better than Kulak, but he has been prone to turnovers in the last few seasons. On good nights he is better than Mete, but not for long stretches.

He is the new Jordie Benn

His advanced stats are not better than kulak. They are about the same this year.  They were worse last year.

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

His advanced stats are not better than kulak. They are about the same this year.  They were worse last year.

But he may have (at least initially) the trust of Julien, which Kulak doesn't have.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

But he may have (at least initially) the trust of Julien, which Kulak doesn't have.

Yes, this i agree with.

Hes also a bit of a different style than Kulak.  Heavier player, not as good with the puck though.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

on natural stat trick they are almost the same except for turnovers. hockeyviz had Scandella allowing less high danger area goals (not chances). Graphic looked better. Hockey-reference and others where similar.

Turnovers arent a reliable stat as they are not consistent rink to rink and the bell centre is one of the worst for this.  Habs D always are at or near the top of the league in turnovers.

Subban weber is a great example as their turnover numbers pre and post trade were basically reversed.  As habs they also.had 2.5-3x as many turnovers at home vs on the road.

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

on natural stat trick they are almost the same except for turnovers. hockeyviz had Scandella allowing less high danger area goals (not chances). Graphic looked better. Hockey-reference and others where similar.

Yes different styles.  Scandella allows less but also.generates less offensively.  Thats why i say about the same advanced stats wise overall but different style.

Good deal for the Habs.  Very low risk and worst case scenario is he can be dealt at the deadline if he doesn't fit in or if the Habs fall out of the playoff race.  If nobody wants him, he's gone July 1st.  If he plays well, Habs can resign him (likely for cheap on a show me contract).  Well done.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Yes different styles.  Scandella allows less but also.generates less offensively.  Thats why i say about the same advanced stats wise overall but different style.

im interested to see if he uses Scandella to help stabalize Fleury or give Petry free rein. I think CJ is invested into Chairot Weber so my guess is

Chairot Weber

Scandella Petry

Mete Fleury

25 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

im interested to see if he uses Scandella to help stabalize Fleury or give Petry free rein. I think CJ is invested into Chairot Weber so my guess is

Chairot Weber

Scandella Petry

Mete Fleury

I do not think so, Scandella turns over the puck often and pairing him with Petry is setting them up for failure

• 1 month later...

So this turned into a brilliant deal.  Bergevin turns a 4th rounder in 2020 - into a 2nd rounder in 2020 and a conditional 4th in 2021.  Good luck to the MB haters trying to find something to criticize here.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

So this turned into a brilliant deal.  Bergevin turns a 4th rounder in 2020 - into a 2nd rounder in 2020 and a conditional 4th in 2021.  Good luck to the MB haters trying to find something to criticize here.  

Dont worry.  I have faith that they can find a way to criticize this.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

The weird thing is, you can criticize bad moves, losing records, playoff droughts, no talent and still give someone credit for making good moves as well. 

Sure... some people can give credit for a good move.

Some people wont though (not saying you).