Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk

nhfarber

Well it’s a smaller reach than  semin and plekanac 2.0.

it would make more sense if we were sending kk and Poehling down and were committed to the tank this year.

Just now, Habsfan89 said:

Typical but wouldn’t u just test what you got from your youth then gamble on him? This is the type of thing’s I get tired of seeing. If you’re going to go with youth go with youth. 

I suspect the injuries played a role here.  We just called up Dale Weise.  Wouldn't you rather Kovalchuk in the lineup than him? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, nhfarber said:

I suspect the injuries played a role here.  We just called up Dale Weise.  Wouldn't you rather Kovalchuk in the lineup than him? 

Well ... if you are asking us to make these kinds of tough decisions ... 😝

6 minutes ago, nhfarber said:
6 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

no this isn’t  the Kovalchuk that played for NJ. This is a washed up Kovalchuk. I would rather lose games with the kids playing then lose games with him in the lineup.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

but we're not talking about playing kids.  We're talking about Dale freaking Wiese.  Sign me up for Kovalchuk over him.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

100%. I have no problem with the move, it's cost-free and it'd be fun just to see that name on a Habs jersey, but I expect basically zero from this.

For all the we go on about our "bright future" it may be telling that there are no young FWs in Laval who warrant even a call-up at this juncture.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why would he be worth a pick at the deadline, he was bought out and know one except the habs signed him 

Typical MB desperation move 

Trading Price would have been a desperation move.

Trading Tatar, Domi and Danault (like Ottawa cleared house) would be a desperation move.

This is just fine, smart cap management and protection of prospect pool

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, nhfarber said:

but we're not talking about playing kids.  We're talking about Dale freaking Wiese.  Sign me up for Kovalchuk over him.  

That's my thing I wouldn't even be playing him. Just keep playing the kids. This sounds like a pressure move to try and make the playoffs. This team isn't good enough to make the playoffs. Play the kids get a lottery pick. 

Thats what i mean, 

They are in a rebuild i keep hearing but the keep making moves like this makes you wonder

MB likes to have things both ways

Trading tatar, petry or whoever isn't seperation, that would be following the plan to get picks and youth and skill

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Chris said:

Thats what i mean, 

They are in a rebuild i keep hearing but the keep making moves like this makes you wonder

MB likes to have things both ways

Trading tatar, petry or whoever isn't seperation, that would be following the plan to get picks and youth and skill

Thank you finally someone sees what I have been trying to say.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

He couldn't make it in LA what makes you think it's going to be any different here?

He may not make it here either but it is a small price to pay to find out.

What happens if he finds his game?

This costs us nothing and if he can't make it then he gets put on waivers.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I wonder where they will play him?

I can see him with Domi but that would mean no Lehkonen on that line and I think Domi needs a digger/board guy

Not sure if Kovalchuk can play both wings or is strictly a left wing?

Maybe Kovalchuk - KK - Cousins for now?

Probably in Weise's spot on the fourth line, with some time on the 2nd PP unit

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He may not make it here either but it is a small price to pay to find out.

What happens if he finds his game?

This costs us nothing and if he can't make it then he gets put on waivers.

So you wouldn't rather call up a kid that's been playing good in the AHL. Give him some playing time in the NHL rather than give it to guys like kovalchuk and weise 

I am tired of these washed up player type of moves. At this point in the season just become a lottery pick team. At least we will get a skilled player out of it.  What this does is takes a top 10 pick out of our hands and makes it a 15-20 pick.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well it’s a smaller reach than  semin and plekanac 2.0.

it would make more sense if we were sending kk and Poehling down and were committed to the tank this year.

If they wanted to sell, they'd be keeping the youngsters up and giving them bigger roles, not sending them down.

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

For all the we go on about our "bright future" it may be telling that there are no young FWs in Laval who warrant even a call-up at this juncture.

Laval isn't exactly loaded with young talent up front yet.  Of the top-25 in our prospect rankings heading into the season, only four are forwards that are under contract.  Suzuki and Poehling are two of them and another is Joel Teasdale who has been out for the entire season.  That leaves Jake Evans as the only prospect of consequence that hasn't been recalled.  (For what it's worth, I've have recalled him over Weise.)  There are a few good forwards in the system (it's D-heavy at the moment) but they're not signed.

54 minutes ago, Chris said:

Why would he be worth a pick at the deadline, he was bought out and know one except the habs signed him 

Typical MB desperation move 

Shortly after his contract termination, it was reported that at least six teams had shown interest (Montreal wasn't among them, by the way).  He was being selective as he wanted to go to a contender but those teams either didn't have interest or a roster spot available.  He also let the KHL signing deadline lapse last week because there was enough NHL interest.  So this probably isn't a case of no other team being interested.  I don't think he'd have trade value but if he did alright on the power play and a contending team had a rash of injuries like Montreal's, maybe there's a late pick or something they could get but it wouldn't be anything of consequence.

• Upvote 1