Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk

nhfarber

27 minutes ago, Habber31 said:

You're right, for sure.

Without injuries, it's unlikely Kovalchuk get signed. The guy is not a top 6 forward anymore, but he still has an elite release... The contract isn't hurting the team

Yup its totally different to trade for him when he had this year and next year at 6 million per season (which i would have hated)

And sign him for this year only at 700k

Trading for him.wouldnt have been a good move, but this is a no risk gamble.  Even if it fails, and i think it will, Bergevin lost nothing 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yup its totally different to trade for him when he had this year and next year at 6 million per season (which i would have hated)

And sign him for this year only at 700k

Trading for him.wouldnt have been a good move, but this is a no risk gamble.  Even if it fails, and i think it will, Bergevin lost nothing 

Maybe trap lighting in a bottle. Or we get Alex Semin

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Even if it fails, and i think it will, Bergevin lost nothing 

He may not have lost his shooting skills, or at least not as much as, say, skating. So he may be able to help on PP, although I'm sure he'd be looking for more ice time than just PP.

1 minute ago, Habber31 said:

Maybe trap lighting in a bottle. Or we get Alex Semin

Its possible he can still score and LA just wasnt good enough to get him the puck.  Its worth a shot of course given the injuries.  I just dont see his skating as good enough but we shall see.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He may not have lost his shooting skills, or at least not as much as, say, skating. So he may be able to help on PP, although I'm sure he'd be looking for more ice time than just PP.

Its hard to just play  PP.  With no minutes and not in the game its a tough job.  A few guys... see MAB... could do it but not many.

Hes gonna need some 5v5 time (mayne 8-10 minutes) just to be in the game.

I agree with most of this article:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/getting-marco-scandella-and-ilya-kovalchuk-might-hurt-the-canadiens-more-than-help-them

i really think this is the year to just go for the tank. It’s a good draft and I’d rather improve lottery odds than miss by 2 or 3 points - which I can’t see is being able to do this year anyways given the way Price is playing. 

Did MB finally land the biggest UFA on the market? 😂😂😂

But seriously, if Kovy is even kinda NHL calibre, he might help this banged up roster.  There's only so many grinders we can slot in the top 9.

I’m happy with the move. There are some people who literally want the Habs to miss the playoffs and so of course they would not see anything in this move.

Those same people consistently request that the Habs make themselves worse because in the long term it will apparently be a sure-fire method of making our team better. Because this course of action is not a guarantee and in fact the only guarantee is the initial stage of making our team worse, I will never be able to be on the same page as those fans.

Expectations should be low but he will indeed score some goals for us and if the Habs do make the playoffs, it won’t hurt to have him. I’m not comparing our team to Boston, but Boston was said to have been interested in signing Kovalchuk and again, it would have been a serviceable move for them come playoff time when depth is important. 

It’s not necessarily going to be a significant move but it’s one of my preferred Bergevin moves at this point in time. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Habs hater Ken Campbell with another hit job.

I don’t have an issue with any of his points.  He’s made similar comments about the leafs.  This isn’t an idiotic Jack Edwards type take on the habs situation.

4 hours ago, habs#4,9,10,33 said:

If or when we miss the playoffs, will Kovalchuk be worth anything at the trade deadline? 4th? Probably a 5th 

no

3 hours ago, huzer said:

Which is it? Will he move the Habs up from a “top 10 pick to picking 15-20” or will he be a non factor? 

No, on par with a Gonchar-Semin-Hemsky. I hate signing; but, risk is zero and maybe he can help Laval.

I really like this move.  Probably it will amount to nothing: Kovalchuk will suck and we will send him down and his contract will end up being terminated.  This is the most likely outcome and it cost the Habs basically nothing.

All the other outcomes look pretty good for the Habs.  He could recover his game a bit and provide a few PP goals.  If he looks even remotely productive I suspect some playoff bound team will trade a 4th or a fifth or even a third round pick for him.  We could even retain 50% so even a cap trapped team could afford him.  Hell, I bet even the Leafs could fit him under their cap at the deadline. 

This is a zero risk move that probably leads no where but could yield some nice bonus for us.

• Upvote 1

I switched over to Team Tank after last night's loss, so this signing does nothing for me except that the thought of Poehling and Kotkaniemi playing with Kovalchuk instead of Weal will help make watching Habs games enjoyable til the trade deadline (where Kovalchuk is hopefully shipped to a contender for a conditional 3rd.)

17 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I switched over to Team Tank after last night's loss, so this signing does nothing for me except that the thought of Poehling and Kotkaniemi playing with Kovalchuk instead of Weal will help make watching Habs games enjoyable til the trade deadline (where Kovalchuk is hopefully shipped to a contender for a conditional 3rd.)

Last night’s “Team Tank”only had Guru Scandella on it though, and he didn’t even play! Sensei Kovalchuk and Master CK ask you to reconsider and wait 8-12 more games before officially joining Team Tank. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I hate to be this way but I think Team Tank is the way to go now.  Consider me a member.  A horrible 10 days losing to all the teams you need to catch. No way they catch Tampa or the Leafs and there are just too many teams to crawl over for a wild card spot. This team isn't good enough or healthy enough to get that hot. Maybe I will look back at this post a couple months from now and be embarrassed that I gave up but I doubt it. 

56 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I'm so over Weal... I'll probably think of a pun for this tomrrow morning 

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t have an issue with any of his points.  He’s made similar comments about the leafs.  This isn’t an idiotic Jack Edwards type take on the habs situation.

Its dumb cause on a two way deal it doesnt hurt at all.  If it works... great.  If it doesnt... put him on waivers and hes basically off the books.  As for youngsters, we called up dale weise.  There is no one hes standing in the way of.

Scandella its one year.  He gave up nothing for him again... reilly and a fourth becomes scandella and a 5th ans if it doesnt work he walks in free agency.  Again no one on LD in laval he stands in the way of.  

These two moves are completely no risk.  There is no harm here.

52 minutes ago, Chris said:

1 goal last 20 games

still gets plenty of PP time

#1 Pp in the league on the road.

Top 8 PP overall.

Drouin armia byron all hurt and the unit keeps scoring

People love to complain about weal and cousins being on the pp, but lets look at the team's results for a minute.

• Upvote 1