Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk

nhfarber

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

He could have been signed by anyone once he was bought out 

The habs are the only team who offered him a contract, and it was for the league minimum

Apparently other teams were interested but wanted to wait. Montreal was the only one who was offering one now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 11:20 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I bet he does better than Barber and Weise combined. If he does I'll change my avatar to his picture on a habs jersey until the end of the season

On 1/3/2020 at 11:34 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i bet he does better then McDavid and Draisital combined....

Kovalchuk since January 6 (7 games): 3G 4A 7P

=======================================

Weise                                                        : 0G 1A 1P

Barber                                                        Sent down

========================================

McDavid                                                   : 3G 5A 8P

Draisaitl                                                    : 2G  7A 9P

:nuts::P Did I win? :nuts::P Did I win? :nuts::P Did I win? :nuts::P

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:20 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I bet he does better than Barber and Weise combined. If he does I'll change my avatar to his picture on a habs jersey until the end of the season

There you go, I've changed my avatar :)

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:34 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

i bet he does better then McDavid and Draisital combined....

On 1/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

*sarcasm* Such a great evaluator of talent *sarcasm*

So clearly you understood the sarcasm here as i was mocking your bet that he would get more points then Weise and Barber combined.

A) Barber isn’t even around and Weise isn’t trusted to play more then 5 minutes. I could get more points then those two and i stopped playing hockey 20 years ago!

FYI Im pretty sure I was bang on... and I also believe Gallagher should be moved to the 2nd line upon his return and Kovalchuk should remain on the top line ⬇️

On 1/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Exactly where he should be... we cannot afford to ease him in. He needs to hit the ground running. It's probably critical to his mental mindset as well to show and play well on the top line and on the PP.  Couple points right away could do wonders for confidence. He was lining up at the left circle on the PP as well.

At the end of the day, we signed him as cover for losing Gallagher so he should start there and play on the PP.

Cousins should drop to the 4th line and Weise to the press box.

If this turns out to be a success even for the immediate short term, imagine the line up implications when Gallagher returns.

Cross your fingers

I dont agree with Weal in the presser over Weise!!!

55 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I dont agree with Weal in the presser over Weise!!!

I like having Weise in the lineup as the only forward that won’t be missed if he is in the penalty box for fighting

Also, he is not a defensive liability 

29 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Weise is just not an NHL player.  

Exactly... 

Weal is much better overall. I'd have to think Weal was punished for the giveaway that made it 4-1. That type of discipline for a mistake I just dont agree with. Sit him the rest of the 3rd but to bench him  the next game? Not cool. 

On another note, cant wait for either Gallagher or Drouin to be back to really start showing our depth. Once fully healthy who's in the line up?

Lehkonan on the 4th with Thompson and Peohling/ Weal/ Byron? That's pretty damn good considering Auturi has been  real good over the last stretch. One if our best players!

I'd think they'll spread the talent throughout the line up and roll 4 lines like the team was designed to do.

Its remarkable what a big point producing RW will do to the line up I  a trickle down effect.

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Weal is much better overall. I'd have to think Weal was punished for the giveaway that made it 4-1. That type of discipline for a mistake I just dont agree with. Sit him the rest of the 3rd but to bench him  the next game? Not cool.

He's also sitting tonight and sat one of the other recent games when Peca played.  It's not the giveaway that has him in the doghouse - I think he was there for a while beforehand and Julien seems to trust Weise more than him for the time being.  I can't say I agree with that decision but that's what it looks like.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He's also sitting tonight and sat one of the other recent games when Peca played.  It's not the giveaway that has him in the doghouse - I think he was there for a while beforehand and Julien seems to trust Weise more than him for the time being.  I can't say I agree with that decision but that's what it looks like.

For sure... but, coming off a 2-0 shut out of the Flyers where he scored the winner... 

Anyway personally I think Weise is done in the NHL and Weal has much more to offer.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:12 AM, illWill said:

I'm just glad when I tune in I get to see what Kovalchuk in a Habs jersey looks like for a period of time. That's it, not much extra thought put into it other than that. 

It has been fun to watch so far regardless of playoff or roster implications. I jumped off the couch last night when he had the breakaway in OT. I want this guy on our team for as long as possible

1 hour ago, illWill said:

It has been fun to watch so far regardless of playoff or roster implications. I jumped off the couch last night when he had the breakaway in OT. I want this guy on our team for as long as possible

I agree. I watch hockey to be entertained.  He entertains me.

16 hours ago, sbhatt said:

All this shows is how starved Canadiens fans have been for a dynamic offensive forward since Kovalev, and probably even before him. 

But the best outlook for the future of this team is trading Kovalchuk at the trade deadline (assuming they are still reasonably out of the race by then.) 

21 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

All this shows is how starved Canadiens fans have been for a dynamic offensive forward since Kovalev, and probably even before him. 

But the best outlook for the future of this team is trading Kovalchuk at the trade deadline (assuming they are still reasonably out of the race by then.) 

Honestly, with the way he's playing, I'm fine with foregoing a 2nd or third round pick and signing him for 2020-21.  Getting a player like him on a full season rental in the summer is going to cost more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder, so why not just keep the player that works in your lineup. 

57 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Honestly, with the way he's playing, I'm fine with foregoing a 2nd or third round pick and signing him for 2020-21.  Getting a player like him on a full season rental in the summer is going to cost more than a 2nd or 3rd rounder, so why not just keep the player that works in your lineup. 

Bergevin: Ilya, Ilya, we really really like you. How would you like a chance to go win the Cup this year?

Kovy 2.0: Uh Bergy , i’m not sure... you know, I reallly like the guys and the city...

Bergevin: Yes, I know, but we need more picks; the draft is in Montreal this year. Look, I want you on this team.  In July, I will resign you. How does 1 year at 5mill and a no move clause sound?

Kovy 2.0: Dosvedanya! See you July 1st. You’re bringing the Stoli, right?

Bergevin: Of course!

( inspired by Trizzak)

• Like 1

I just think when you trade a guy, he's gone... these trade a guy and they come back July 1st are very rare. 

Sure it happened with Plekanec, but that guy had like 15 years as a Hab going into that trade. 

It really doesn't happen that often... even including Plekanec... its like less than 5 players in the last 10 years league wide.  (traded at the deadline and come back the same summer)

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I just think when you trade a guy, he's gone... these trade a guy and they come back July 1st are very rare. 

Sure it happened with Plekanec, but that guy had like 15 years as a Hab going into that trade. 

It really doesn't happen that often... even including Plekanec... its like less than 5 players in the last 10 years league wide.  (traded at the deadline and come back the same summer)

I'm glad someone pointed this out. It's like the mythical trading of a bad contract to a cap floor team...only slightly less rare than a unicorn. If we trade him, he's gone for good, especially with a GM as risk-averse as MB.