Habs sign Ilya Kovalchuk

nhfarber

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm glad someone pointed this out. It's like the mythical trading of a bad contract to a cap floor team...only slightly less rare than a unicorn. If we trade him, he's gone for good, especially with a GM as risk-averse as MB.

risk-averse? You do remember he sent Subban packing dont you? Traded  Sergachev , Galchenyuk ...

9 minutes ago, DON said:

risk-averse? You do remember he sent Subban packing dont you? Traded  Sergachev , Galchenyuk ...

I knew that comment would freak people out, but I'm thinking more about his inability to sign Radulov or re-sign Markov or go all-in on Aho. He handles nickels like manhole covers, which has its benefits, but also its downside; one downside being the likely loss of Kovalchuck. (On the specifics, the Drouin trade was risk-free because of the PR subsidy a franco 'star' always enjoys; and all of MB's dealings with Subban were marked by risk-averse conservatism. You will never hear me slagging the Domi deal, which was a gem).

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I knew that comment would freak people out, but I'm thinking more about his inability to sign Radulov or re-sign Markov or go all-in on Aho. He handles nickels like manhole covers, which has its benefits, but also its downside; one downside being the likely loss of Kovalchuck. (On the specifics, the Drouin trade was risk-free because of the PR subsidy a franco 'star' always enjoys; and all of MB's dealings with Subban were marked by risk-averse conservatism. You will never hear me slagging the Domi deal, which was a gem).

Given the Kovalev-like love that Kovalchuk is already enjoying... you don't see re-signing Kovalchuk as having the PR subsidy that a true magician and offensive superstar has enjoyed in Montreal?

He wasn't french canadian, but there was a certain love between L'Artiste and the Montreal Community... I'm already getting similar vibes out of Kovalchuk, the reaction of the Bell Centre every time he touches the puck has that same electricity. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Given the Kovalev-like love that Kovalchuk is already enjoying... you don't see re-signing Kovalchuk as having the PR subsidy that a true magician and offensive superstar has enjoyed in Montreal?

No, not really. French guys receive a whole other level of media mollycoddling in Montreal.

Let-s say Kovy II continues to bang away as a legit top-line W until season's end, then wants to get paid like a legit top-line W on a 2-year deal, or take somewhat less on a 3-year deal. MB's pattern to this point is that he will 'try,' but the player was unreasonable, and making a deal was too 'tough.' Shrug shrug shrug. 

4 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

hes off to pick up his family in LA. I can see his wife and family loving MtL. God knows I do.

He did just buy a $9m mansion there, so don’t know if the plan is for his family to move to whatever city he is going to be playing in next year.

I think people are overlooking a key point here.  I think its very likely that Kovalchuk signed here after receiving assurances that we would trade him at the deadline to a contending team (if he performed).  That's why he signed a minimum contract.  If that's true we will need to trade him to keep him happy.  Maybe he would be willing to resign here but I don't see Bergevin having much latitude here,

I don’t think that’s very likely. I think Bergevin was sincerely trying to help the team make it through a patch whereby much of its top 6 was in the infirmary. All with the goal of helping our team have a chance at making the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I don’t think that’s very likely. I think Bergevin was sincerely trying to help the team make it through a patch whereby much of its top 6 was in the infirmary. All with the goal of helping our team have a chance at making the playoffs. 

I think you are absolutely right, low risk move by Bergevin to help the team. It's looking pretty good right now, Kovy has generated excitement, helped the team win a few games and if they have a bad couple weeks can be flipped for a decent draft pick (2nd - 4th round) at the deadline.  There will be teams wanting him now. 

12 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

I think people are overlooking a key point here.  I think its very likely that Kovalchuk signed here after receiving assurances that we would trade him at the deadline to a contending team (if he performed).  That's why he signed a minimum contract.  If that's true we will need to trade him to keep him happy.  Maybe he would be willing to resign here but I don't see Bergevin having much latitude here,

It's possible that there was a handshake agreement in place but I think the reason he signed a minimum contract was because it wasn't a bidding war for his services.  It sounds like some teams had interest but for later in the season (when more cap room had accrued or at the deadline when the roster limit lifts).  The Habs offered him a chance to play right away so it's not like Kovalchuk had much (or any) leverage.

13 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

complete unfounded speculation being posted as though people are overlooking something is garbage post.

overlooking a key point is different than you making shit up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

complete unfounded speculation being posted as though people are overlooking something is garbage post.

overlooking a key point is different than you making shit up.

Sorry, dont understand what you mean?

1 hour ago, DON said:

Sorry, dont understand what you mean?

Was referring to post I quoted.

in which OP stated others had overlooked a key point. This key point was really just OP’s own hypothesis that doesn’t jive with any of the facts. So to state that other posters are missing an obvious key point is garbage imo.

OP’s theory that followed is as flawed as it is unfounded so I called garbage post on the whole thing.

That is all, hope that clears it up.

Go habs Go!

this team is much better than you’d believe reading much of the forum.

On 1/20/2020 at 11:46 PM, Commandant said:

He wasn't french canadian, but there was a certain love between L'Artiste and the Montreal Community... I'm already getting similar vibes out of Kovalchuk, the reaction of the Bell Centre every time he touches the puck has that same electricity. 

Great point, he’s had me paying more attention which was waning.

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think you are absolutely right, low risk move by Bergevin to help the team. It's looking pretty good right now, Kovy has generated excitement, helped the team win a few games and if they have a bad couple weeks can be flipped for a decent draft pick (2nd - 4th round) at the deadline.  There will be teams wanting him now. 

Agreed. The cost-benefit analysis is out of this world regardless of how the team does.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Was referring to post I quoted.

in which OP stated others had overlooked a key point. This key point was really just OP’s own hypothesis that doesn’t jive with any of the facts. So to state that other posters are missing an obvious key point is garbage imo.

OP’s theory that followed is as flawed as it is unfounded so I called garbage post on the whole thing.

That is all, hope that clears it up.

Go habs Go!

this team is much better than you’d believe reading much of the forum.

You seem to be quite positive normally and that one seemed unusual for you, still went right over me head; but, wont ask you to dumb it down anymore than have.

But, agree that team is "OK'  and not all doom and gloom that some seem to like to pronounce.

Gall darn I hate these mid -season vacations and no game till next Monday! No good! Pretty soon cup finals will be late June!

Okay, I'm going to ignore the novice, hockeyrealist, and hope that he learns some manners.

Why did Kovalchuk sign with us?  Was it to earn the 400K he will earn over the second half of the season?  I agree he might be playing to in order to earn a contract fror next year.    But it seems at least as likely that he is hoping to compete in this year's playoffs and maybe win the cup.  

None of the top teams was willing to sign him in early January and we were.  So he signed with us.  I think when he did that he probably told Bergevin that he wanted to play for a contender.  From Bergevin's point of view that is fine.  He gets a player to fill in for our injured players and he gains the possibilty of picking up another draft pick at the deadline.  Its win-win.  

No matter what happened when he was signed, if Kovalchuk wants to be moved at the deadline there isn't much Bergevin can do.  If we hang onto him against his wishes he won't resign with us.    Having Kovalchuk for the last half of the season probably doesn't get us into the playoffs - it likely just reduces our draft position.

We really don't know what Kovalchuk's exact motivation is/was. He clearly still wants to play hockey, but whether his goal is a playoff run this year, or a contract for next year, is not something that any of us know. We can speculate what he told Bergevin, but I suspect that none of us were actually in the room when the conversation took place ...

My guess is Kovalchuk wanted to play in the top 6 on whatever team he signed on to. With injuries, Montreal was able to provide that. I don't think that a trade is a lock, most contender teams have a solid top 6, otherwise they most likely wouldn't be a contender. Kovalchuk is not going to be a bottom 6 player.

Granted, Kovalchuk can't control what the Habs do, but on a personal level and hoping to get a contract next year, what would be better for Kovalchuk, big minutes and production in Montreal, or bottom 6 minutes/players on a playoff team?

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:44 AM, huzer said:

My guess is Kovalchuk wanted to play in the top 6 on whatever team he signed on to. With injuries, Montreal was able to provide that. I don't think that a trade is a lock, most contender teams have a solid top 6, otherwise they most likely wouldn't be a contender. Kovalchuk is not going to be a bottom 6 player.

Granted, Kovalchuk can't control what the Habs do, but on a personal level and hoping to get a contract next year, what would be better for Kovalchuk, big minutes and production in Montreal, or bottom 6 minutes/players on a playoff team?

I doubt that Kovalchuk sees it that way, though. Assuming no drop-off between now and season end, he will probably think, "there, I've proven I'm still an elite player. Any team signing me will be signing me as a top-6 player." He is not, in other words, going to assume that elite teams will have no role for him in the top-6. Rather, he will imagine himself playing with whichever guys those elite teams have in their top-6.

Nor is this totally unrealistic. Few teams have six PPG forwards. So any team signing him could well bump their current #5 or 6 guy down the lineup to make room for the guy we're seeing.

As for me, I believe he is as good as gone, either traded at the deadline or (less likely) lost as a UFA. The "charms of Montreal" will not override the desire to play on a winner and/or make one last big payday. Montreal might be able to keep him if we're willing the shell out, but, again, MB's track record does not inspire confidence in this respect.

• Upvote 1

I personally doubt that money is the driving factor for Kovalchuk: he has already earned somewhere around $70M in his career, and he gave up something like $5M by agreeing to terminate his contract with LAK, with no guarantee of another contract. I do agree that he wants to play, though, and ideally on a winning team.

I keep hoping to come to this thread and see 

Habs RE-sign Ilya Kovalchuk

Seems like he fits. Good asset management or not - I like him in a Habs uniform. 

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I personally doubt that money is the driving factor for Kovalchuk: he has already earned somewhere around $70M in his career, and he gave up something like $5M by agreeing to terminate his contract with LAK, with no guarantee of another contract. I do agree that he wants to play, though, and ideally on a winning team.

thats fine trade him...

but, before we do, I would love to see at 5/7 games with a line up of

Tatar Danault Kovalchuk

Domi Suzuki Gallagher

Drouin Kotkaniemi Armia

Lehkonan Poehling Cousins

Chiarot Weber

Scandella Petry

Mete Fleury

Price

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

thats fine trade him...

but, before we do, I would love to see at 5/7 games with a line up of

Tatar Danault Kovalchuk

Domi Suzuki Gallagher

Drouin Kotkaniemi Armia

Lehkonan Poehling Cousins

Chiarot Weber

Scandella Petry

Mete Fleury

Price

Mine would be

Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Drouin-Domi-Kovalchuk

Lehkonen-Suzuki-Armia

Thompson-Kotkaniemi-Cousins

Let the centers play with solid wingers, let Kotkaniemi earn his minutes or send him to Laval